Official feedback thread for new forum design (beta version)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2016
Visit site
Re: Official feedback thread for new forum design!

Are there any plans to bring https? Preferably for everyone, but at least for logged in users. I don't remember the details, but I think there was something called firesheep a few years ago which proved there wasn't really any point in using https on only the login page. Your session can be stolen anyways.
I also find it hard to take any articles about mobile security seriously on a non secure site.

As I'm writing this in Firefox on my BlackBerry Priv, I'm finding that the text is lagging.

So I just tried to post this comment. For some reason I automatically pressed the big red x button. It took me a while to realize I hadn't really posted the comment.
I guess it is a clear button. Why is the clear button more prominent than the post button? The post button is actually very hard to see. Fortunately the restore autosave feature worked really well.

nate0

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site

First time I got to see and use these new features and designs is tonight. Working flawlessly for me so far (past 10 min). And yes the dark mode is fancy and works well. I'm on chrome/mobile BTW. I will keep using it more and more but it is definitely much faster. Thank you.

HeyCori

Jan 14, 2017
Visit site

Can someone explain the purpose of the wifi symbol next to the forum listings?

wifiwc.PNG

nate0

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site

Also, I am big on client access and don't use browsers for forums unless I have to. I dont see this as a yes, but would any changes affect client level access? (Windows Central Apps/Tapatalk/mTalk)

eyecrispy

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site

I like the chat room look and feel. Don't care for the default color scheme.

A few times, the page didn't render properly on my iPad Pro. Will keep testing and report back.

John20212

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site

I've been looking over the new forum and it appears the new design does not work at all on Windows 7's Internet Explorer 11.
see:
forum issues 01.jpg

Edit:
Tried on latest version of Firefox and seems to work ok there.

John20212

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site

One suggestion I would have it to try to scale it better to avoid the tons of dead space on both sides of the main column.

forum issues 02.jpg

This was on a 1080p screen.
On both sides of the white main section there is a ton of blue space that is not used for anything, other then the bit for ads, but even keeping that in there is still a lot of empty.

Another suggestion would be to have the profile pic square and not circular, but that is a personal design preference, I know others prefer their circles, it just reminds me of Apple rather then the tiles of a Windows Phone, since on Windows Central forum.

John20212

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site

Hmm... I have to disagree. I'm not moderating here on Android Central. And, I'm not nearly as familiar with the cast of characters here. I'd find it very useful to see post count/global post count without tapping for the Passport Profile pop up. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who would feel that way.

I have to agree with above, I also find the global post count quite useful, especially when jumping around between several of Mobile Nations forums.

BriniaSona

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

I think it should be the full width of the page. Right now it only takes up half the width on my 1080p monitor. Otherwise, it is very pleasing to the eye. A dark mode would help AMOLED users as well, it could be a nice toggle. (I come from CrackBerry)

HeyCori

Jan 14, 2017
Visit site

Is it possible to just eliminate the thread and post count icons entirely? Is it really important to know that a forum has 23k threads in it?

nate0

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site

Or set it as a toggle so you have the option to view it or not.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Here's what I got so far...

I'd like easier access to New Posts and Participated but that's just how I personally roll.
I like the new tools layout for us mods and stuff. But it could be better in one row instead of two. (which leads into the next line)
It could be a lot more space-efficient in some cases though.
I accidentally marked the best answer with the Checkmark which is somewhat ambiguous but will only be an issue once.
I miss the global post count, but its no biggie. A bit less unimportant is the lost multi-quote button which I enjoyed every once in a while.
I personally miss seeing who liked a post right off the bat, but if it's decided that the aesthetics are better than that, I have no issue with it.
I would like to see instant moderation buttons on unapproved stuff so we don't have to root into a menu but I don't know if the process has changed.
The pop-up details window was nice when hovering over a user, but only when PM'ing or hitting for spam.

ucyimDa_Ruler

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site

Looks like crap on IE11 with Windows 10. Thankfully the fly out renders beautifully to register to a newsletter. #thankgod4that.

On Firefox I can see what is was supposed to render. With all designs wouldn't alternating rows or at least a hover add better visual cues for super wide monitors? It gets harder to view content with a big gap of whitespace in the middle.

nate0

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site

Looks like crap on IE11 with Windows 10. Thankfully the fly out renders beautifully to register to a newsletter. #thankgod4that.

On Firefox I can see what is was supposed to render. With all designs wouldn't alternating rows or at least a hover add better visual cues for super wide monitors? It gets harder to view content with a big gap of whitespace in the middle.

It seems it might be optimized for Edge and Chrome. Is this true? I am yet to use Edge but will later. IE11 on W10 is slow to load. Firefox loads fine though the multiple ads slow it down more than Chrome.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site

Avatars are all distorted on the S7 Edge. Many are two large and float partly behind the text bubbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174