Ok. An Evo for a day coming from webOS: here is my $.02 verdict

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Funny thing about the pre's launcher is that you have the exact same functionality on android right off the main homepage - you have seven pages you can totally customize and put whatever apps you desire. Make one page nothing but
folders for your apps and already have more than the pre ever had.

Yeah. I'm thinking people think they are stuck with some of the full page widgets that eat up so much room. I initially thought things like the calendar widget were permanent, but I now see that you can delete everything and start with 7 empty pages and customize them however you want.

ghostyroasty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm still used to looking at the bottom for notifications. I still haven't went in and customized the ringer sounds and notifications...Speaking of which, anyone find an Android alternative to the Pre's Free Music Ringtones app?? I use Zedge right now, because I used the website for some ringtones for my Pre.

I've been downloading from the Android Market and I think I've already surpassed the number of apps downloaded on my Pre and all except for one was free!

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Being new to Android and coming from a Pre myself I can understand that you are not yet familiar with all the ins and outs. With that said it is clear from your post that a lot of your issues are because of that. It really does help to read the manual when you are new to an OS. For example:

1) you can make folders that you can place on your home screens that each will hold a "page" worth of apps.

2) Search is at worse one step more than on webOS and imo its the same length seeing as I have to slide the keyboard out on the Pre which i count as a step. Just press the dedicated search button right next to the back button and start typing!

I have already started getting used to the idiosyncrasies of Android, but I understand that not everyone can.

Manuals are overrated. I don't think people should have to be forced to read them. With webOS, all i had to know was how to work the gesture area, and the rest of the system was dead simple. I never pulled out the manual and I could tell you how to do everything. Very easy.

Android is not even close to that. And yeah, the search button works well. Sorry, I come from a phone that has no buttons other than a power button. It is odd to work a phone with even this back button (what???? no gesture)

I constantly find myself wanting to swipe up on the screen to pull the launcher :p

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
You know, someone told me that you could not put apps inside folders from these forums a while ago. I took their word and didn't try it. I will now. That will help TONS TONS TONS in order to organize my phone.

Note that with webOs, I had as many pages as I want, not just 7. And I was able to organize those pages based on the type of app (e.g. sprint apps, palm apps, 3D games, etc)

I really liked that, but it seems I wil be able to do the same thing through these "folders."

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Well, manuals may be overrated, but you're probably missing out on half the functionality of many of the things you own if you don't read them. I bet even WebOS has capabilities you don't know about.

bobodobo

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Hope this isn't too much of a hijack, but could you say that a long press on an item or screen is similar to a right click (Windows) or control-click (Mac), i.e. it usually pulls up a menu of (hopefully useful) options for that item? (Haven't gotten my EVO yet, it's in the mail.)

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok. Another question:

I don't like the multitasking on this one bit. I can only see the last 6 apps I have run, but there are usually way more than that open.

I have TaskOS installed, and that seems like an ok solution, but somewhat unresponsive. Is there another solution that you recommend? Preferably one that will allow me to see a small version of the app that is running, sort of like how dolphin HD browser handles tab pages?

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. I'm thinking people think they are stuck with some of the full page widgets that eat up so much room. I initially thought things like the calendar widget were permanent, but I now see that you can delete everything and start with 7 empty pages and customize them however you want.

Yes, I love that about Android. Such great customization! The only way to do that with webOS was to hack the thing.

mikebeam

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Apps crash too much. I have owned an Android phone for one day, and have had 2 apps crash on me. I don't think that ever happened to me on webOS.

You never had an app crash on Webos? Your phone never locked up? I had a Pre since day 1 and this has happened way yo much, plus the to many cards open message.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You never had an app crash on Webos? Your phone never locked up? I had a Pre since day 1 and this has happened way yo much, plus the to many cards open message.

Looks like the two just handle things differently. In WebOS, you would get the spinning ring of death when an app hung and you had to manually close it and restart it. With Android, it seems to detect it right away and let's you close and quickly restart the app.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Looks like you can't put Widgets into folders but you CAN apps. So use the 7 pages more for widgets- and save space placing apps or shortcuts into folders. Once you remove EVERYTHING from stock Evo Sense, and create your custom THEME you can save it out! NOW it's better than my old pre.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
LOVE Multitask Manager! Thank you! Um... how do you kill a task with it? I see the never ask again toggle in the menu setup- but if I long press an app in that window or swipe it up or down nothing seems to kill the app.

ohseedee

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I am also coming from a Palm Pre and here are my main issues. Also, before I get blasted by people, I prefer my EVO to my Pre. But EVO and android are far from perfect.

• Multitasking on the Palm Pre is simply the best. Switching between apps is extremely effortless. I know there are apps to improve this on Android, but they will never be as good as WebOS. Closing apps is extremely easy on the Pre and very hard on Android

• Notifications are by far better on the pre. Getting pop ups on the bottom of the screen, for emails, texts, etc are amazing on the Pre. I get notifications on the top of my EVO, but even when you pull down the notifications area it doesn’t give you details on the email or text as the pre does.

• Email. On my pre I would get my email the second it arrives. I setup my exchange account on my EVO to get items as they arrive, however they don’t. I’ve sent test emails and I don’t get an alert for up to 30+ minutes. On my Pre, I would get email before Outlook on my desktop. Also, what’s up with only 1 exchange account??? I had unlimited with my Pre. This is a huge issue, because sometimes my clients will give me an exchange email account and want me to use that instead of my companies email account. Anyone know if 2.2 will give me multiple exchange accounts?

• I love the flashing light on the bottom my Sprint Palm Pre. I can see from several feet away if I have any emails or texts without ever turning on my phone. My Evo has an indicator, but it’s not as big or as easy to see. Does anyone know how to change the color for different alerts and have multiple lights?? For example a blue light for texts, red for email, etc.

• Rooting. I could easily root my pre without wiping it. I saw there is a new way to root with an app today, but it needs to be run every time to restart. I was could easily tweak, install patches, overclock, etc on my Pre without ever wiping it.

I like the EVO better than the Pre because there is a lot more I can do with it. Android has been around a little longer and has more features. Also, widgets are not possible on WebOS. The Market has tons more apps than WebOS (although I think WebOS has a lot more quality apps). In my opinion WebOS is a better OS, but its youth, bad hardware, and bad luck are what caused me to switch. So Android is for me…for now, however I can see myself switching back to WebOS if HP builds it out.

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
It's clunky in a few places but not more so than some OSs, cough WM.

Multitasking is "odd". Holding the home key brings up the last worked with programs.
The built in browser BTW has actual windows, I like that feature.

Apps don't have to be closed. If you are using a task manager maybe that could be an issue with apps crashing?
I used TaskOS for awhile, closed some apps and then got some force closed messages.

And as already mentioned search replaces the launcher altogether, you did universal search with your Pre. Right?
If it bugs you you could set up a few of the homescreen with your favorite apps.

The class2 SD card doesn't seem that bad even copying large movies. I'd say it's about as fast as the Pre was. I concerned about card, had a class4 but lost the dern thing Thursday. I doubt it'll transfer media much faster.

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I am getting my EVO on Saturday and leaving my Pre. I am trying to get as familiar as possible with the OS before I get the phone.
Can someone explain to me the difference between a widget and an Icon?
I have no clue or understanding what a widget is.
Thanks!!!

kcpowercat

May 17, 2010
Visit site

How quickly we forget...I just quit using my Pre 60 hours and I have already blocked out those TMC messages.

There is a learning curve I still need to get used to the quickest/best way to do some things but as much as I thought I loved WebOS, Android just seems better (more stable, customizable, powerful). I did like flicking away apps though.

Only thing I'm missing in the app category is a Android version of FlightView and Package Tracker...the ones I've tried on the Evo just aren't as feature filled

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site
You know you don't HAVE to use the launcher, right? You can just universal search (like webOS) and pop up the application you are looking for. That might be an easy solution for your girlfriend. Just have her hit her mag button at the bottom and type the first letters of what she wants and poof there is it :)

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g/15937-suck-up-phone-magical-maybe.html

I don't know how to 'thank' ppl on here..but thx for the tip on how to do the universal search! It really helps alot:cool: