ok google not as responsive when in "from any screen" mode on Samsung Galaxy S6

jxe

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S6. I've noticed that when I have "from any screen" mode turned off, the "ok google" verbal prompt is always recognized by the phone and it moves quickly to the window that is awaiting further verbal input.. If I turn on "from any screen" mode, I notice that sometimes it doesn't hear my prompt and I have to pause and repeat myself, even if I'm on the main screen that has the google widget on it. Waiting a while and then saying "ok google" will usually work, but saying "ok google" a couple of times in a row will not. Basically if I'm in the car and I want to make a call it wont always respond to "ok google". However, with "from every screen" mode turned off, it responds 100% of the time.

I tested it further and tried it in a way I'd never need in normal use. With "from any screen" mode off, I went to the main page with the google widget and said "ok google" about 5 or 6 times, closing it after it responded and then saying it again. Each time it responded to my voice immediately. I then turned on "from any screen" mode and tried the same thing. It would miss every other verbal prompt or so. And I'd sometimes just have to pause a second or two and then try again. Not normal operation, but it demonstrates what I'm noticing, where sometimes it responds to my prompt and other times it doesn't.

Essentially it feels a little slower and a little buggy when using "from any screen" mode. Is this normal, or is this an issue with my phone? Is there anything I can tweak to see if I can get it to run smoother? The phone is new and the applications are up to date.