Ok Pixel owners - the S8 is here. Who's jumping ship?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I am very happy with my Blue Pixel. Will look at the Pixel 2 when it arrives and get one if I like it, just to keep up with the latest.

S8 is a Saturday night street walker in very high heels.
Pixel is a 4x4 Chevrolet Silverado going through\over everything life throws in its way.

Yep - that pretty much sums it up.

You found an analogy book!

tatootie67

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I already jumped ship, sort of, because I bought the Gear s3 smart watch and was having some compatibility issues so I gave my wife the Pixel XL and got myself an S7. The S7 is a nice phone but there are some things I miss from the Pixel.

I'm thinking about the S8 but haven't made a move yet and may not. I'll decide when I decide. I do love Samsung Pay so I may stay with Samsung but if the Pixel 2 gets rid of the Gear S3/phone issues I could move back to the Pixel.
Just curious, what kind of gear 3 /pixel XL compatibility issues were you having? I'm not having any

ttrimmer

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm really thinking about jumping from my Pixel XL. I love my Pixel and hate edge screens but I can get a great trade in deal on my old S6 on Verizon plus I'm really liking the idea of Samsung Pay. Android Pay is great when I can use it but there are so few places that take it. The waterproofing and wireless charging are enticing too.

masseurca

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Because it's Samsung, I am not. Just preordered it for my wife to upgrade from her S7edge (S8+). Personally I don't like the heavy overlay they put on top of Android. But my wife likes Samsung.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm really thinking about jumping from my Pixel XL. I love my Pixel and hate edge screens but I can get a great trade in deal on my old S6 on Verizon plus I'm really liking the idea of Samsung Pay. Android Pay is great when I can use it but there are so few places that take it. The waterproofing and wireless charging are enticing too.

I bumped into a Samsung Rep at my local AT&T today and was able to hold the S8+. It's the perfect sized phone and not too tall.

I'm anxious to see the camera showdowns S8 vs G6 vs Pixel 2. Not that I'm a Pixel owner, but if I was one, I think I'd wait.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
I said I'd never buy a Samsung phone again but I'm really considering picking up an S8 and trading in my Pixel. That display and the form factor is just awesome.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Nope.

Aside from the fact that I just got a Pixel recently, it's too tall for me. Curved displays are also a no for me too. I chose the Pixel because it is the best smallest Android phone. Why would I go taller than the phone I gave up for my Pixel?

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, I bought my Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB at my mobile services provider AT&T on May 6 2015 and my Google Pixel XL 128GB directly from Google on October 4 2016. I know that some people preferences deserves respect from others who might disagree with them. My Galaxy S6 is the first Samsung phone I bought after three HTC flagships, HTC One X, HTC One X Plus, HTC One ( M7), LG G2 and one Google Nexus 5. My favorite is the Galaxy S6, not a big battery but with one extra charge cable at the office I am good. If you dont mind to wait months from Samsung and AT&T to deliver an Android Platform Upgrade you can go with the Galaxy S8, if you need to run the last Android Platform version go with the Google Pixel phone. I am, and just me, going to an oficial AT&T store and give in trade in my S6 and my Pixel XL , pay up front the diference and go back to my office with a Galaxy S8 Plus. Every one got the right to have preferences and my preference is a Galaxy S8 Plus. This forum will be a better forum without haters no matter what your phone preference is.

Mungus99

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I wouldnt touch an S8 if i got one for free, their cartoony childish ui and bug ridden release day mess of the OS, camera and other problems is annoying and, like Apple.. they are overpriced rubbish.. SS tell you its glass, but its really plastic and cardboard..

Ive owned every single SS flasgship since the orignal Galaxy... through the S2, S3 > S5 > S7E... and EVERY one of them had lagg or camera issues, crashes and lock ups... and for me.. Im done with Samsung

The longer we as consumers continue to support these arrogant companies who rip us off year after year with their slow weeks or months bug fixes and updates, the more theyll do it... Give me a Huawei or LG over SS or Apple any day.

No Thanks SS

Unlike the OP, I've only had the s3, nothing but trouble. I definitely fall into the once bitten twice shy category

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, what kind of gear 3 /pixel XL compatibility issues were you having? I'm not having any
That's a long convoluted story so I'll give the shorter version. I bought the tmo lte gear s3. First thing I found was that when someone would call and the Pixel was on Wifi, the caller would not hear a ring and voicemail would never pick up the call. There were other annoyances so I called tmo almost every day for a week before a rep finally found that even though the number assigned to the watch had been assigned and provisioned, the sim in the watch had never been activated. But, I had bought this s7 two days previous. I don't know which issues were caused by the pixel/gear s3 combo and which were caused by the watch not having an activated sim. I was so fed up with the whole deal that I just kept the s7 phone and gave the Pixel to my wife.

I never seem to get rid of phones, I just keep buying and when something new comes along I throw the current phone onto my desk and go with the new toy. Right now I have the Pixel XL, S7, three Nexus 6p's, Sammy s6, Sammy s5 and I even found an htc incredible and a Samsung Charge and I just gave my brother in law my Note 5. Probably should sell some of these things since I don't use them and they are all in best mint condition.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure the S8 will be a lovely piece of hardware; however, unless it will make my morning latte and walk my dog, I'm not interested. Sure, it will dazzle the eye; Samsung does a stellar job of making pretty phones, but I'm equally sure it will also be subject to the usual Samsung drawbacks that finally drove me away from the brand... too much manufacturer's obnoxious and uninstallable bloat, accompanied by equally obnoxious and equally uninstallable carrier bloat, and locked bootloaders, which means that although you might be able to change carriers, your expensive piece of hardware will never see another update. Speaking of which, OS updates will of course be late, as is par for the course for Samsung, and carriers will cause them to be even later, sometimes being released as much as a year after their initial release by Google.

Thanks, but no thanks. Pretty is as pretty does, and Samsung no longer fills the bill for me.

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I've had my XL since day 3 or 4. The more I use it, the less I will ever go back to a carrier controlled phone.

Every carrier phone I have had, has had issues. Lag, slow updates, more lag after updates, more lag, no more updates.

Phone companies and carriers want you to buy their phones. They want you to lust over them.

So they can always sell you a new one.

Unless google total screws this up, it will be several years before I even remotely consider a new phone.

Even then, it will probably be the Pixel XL 4 or 5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vergoña69