Ok Pixel owners - the S8 is here. Who's jumping ship?

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
No chance.
The only phone coming this year that could make me consider leaving the Pixel is the Pixel 2, but there's a 99% chance that the Pixel will be the first smartphone that I keep for 2 years. I've had some minor issues with it, but it's by far the best phone I've ever had.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Nope. Abhor the fingerprint scanner location and the aspect ratio and thin bezels. Pretty to look at but the ergonomics would eat at me day in and day out. Stretching to reach the capacitive buttons or the corners of the screen, or stretching to reach the fingerprint scanner...Bleh. No thanks.

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
First question is, how do we know they solved the burning problem?

Then, how often do we get security updates and how much un-removable bloat-ware is on it?

anon(9780053)

Banned
Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
when we charge them. then wait a week. if no one does something stupid and abuses device when and if its wet. always bloat, and security updates when there's possible breach in facial recognition.updates will be fast and furious at the start, but slow as times goes on.

Rodzp

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I honestly wasn't all that excited about it. I could preorder the s8 and return my pixel, but I just love the pixel too much. Do not get me wrong I think the s8 is a fine looking phone, but the pixel fits me perfectly.

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I like the appearances / designs of their phones. more beautiful than pixel to me.

Sony makes a nice phone. Elegant comes to mind. Yes there are redundant apps [bloat, if you will] but they all work and work well. Same can't be said of all Pixel features. Pixel still has the cutting edge/adventure of its Nexus line breeding.

Paulmac0957

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
No, having owned Samsung phones before I like the PixelXL better. It is faster, no bloatware, gets updates almost immediately, has a better camera than the S8 and is running 7.1 where the S8 comes out of the box already behind as far as the OS goes. I am looking forward to what the Pixel 2 may offer, until then will stick with what I have.

AbAll87

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm not getting a S8 but it looks amazing!!! Reason why I cave in and bought the pixel was because it is so smooth! No lag. Bugs here and there but it's Android so no surprise there. I do hope the pixel 2 will be as awesome... If not I'm staying with the pixel ! Hopefully I'll be able to sell the pixel for the second generation.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
That display is the main reason I preordered my S8+. That and I don't like the build quality of the Pixel. The volume and power buttons on my Pixel are loose and rattle almost.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I'll pass on the S8.

The only phone I'm interested in next is the Pixel 2. The Pixel's UI/UX to me is just excellent. As fast as the day I got it, never had to run a launcher to 'fix' things in the UI, very clean experience. Monthly security updates and fastest updates is great as well.

The S8/S8+ does look very slick. I love the minimalist bezel design, but that isn't enough to sway me from the Pixel.

Neutrality

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Went to Best Buy to check out the S8. Once you hold this thing, going back to the pixel feels like going back to Dino years. S8 is the future. Pixel is anything but.

Edit: Pixel is the best phone in my opinion.

Last edited:

anon(9780053)

Banned
Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
i had to post my horrorscupe related to preordering.....as follows///Don't be surprised if the grounded and practical solution doesn't make the grade today. More than likely, the new devices and special electrical shortcuts will be the most impressive thing going. This is the classic case of the new and improved shiny electric version replacing the old analogue, slow operation. Sooner or later you'll need to upgrade your system, so you might as well do it now.

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
No chance. I personally like as close to stock Android as I can get. Samsung is the antithesis of that.

Won't be tied to manufacturer and carrier slow updates any more.

The Pixel XL is still as smooth as day one for me. Maybe I'll flip this for the next Pixel, but 0% interest in Samsung and carrier phone.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Went to Best Buy to check out the S8. Once you hold this thing, going back to the pixel feels like going back to Dino years. S8 is the future. Pixel is anything but.

Pixel was an experiment from google: lets see how many people buy into a contemporary software experience on decade old hardware and design. Influencers influenced, both Apple and Google found an opportunity in the Note 8 incident, created artificial demand by holding back supply and voila, Google Pixel became a mediocre success and that too only in the US.

Waiting for the next Pixel. Which isn't going to be another one of these experiments, hopefully. Until then, S8 it is!
Definitely don't share any of your opinions here, but glad you found something you want :)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe