Ok, where are all these updates I was promised?

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I got the Galaxy Nexus on release day and lived with it (and the problems) for a month and a half and decided to switch to the RAZR MAXX to get away from the issues with the GN. The GN is sitting in my drawer and I was hoping an update would solve my issues but no update has been forthcoming.

The RAZR was released in mid November and has now had two official OTA updates (in 3 months) and the rumor is now that the GN will have it's first update in March (3 months after release). I don't call the initial update released prior to launch as an update as that was just an easy way for Verizon to fix a phone that wasn't ready to be released but didn't want to update them all themselves before selling the phones (saving Verizon time and money).

Anyway, a major selling point of the GN was the updates were going to come fast and furious and people (mainly on the forums) are still using this as a way to justify how great this phone is. I'm confused and wondering if there is anything to this "feature" of the Nexus family of phones. How is Motorola updating their phones faster than the phones that are supposed to be updated quickly by Google?

Anyone else confused or have insight into this?

Reactions: GNex Girl

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Google could push out update build after build and have them fail or cause even more problems, possibly even bricked devices or..... Wait patiently for an update that meets their certification for being a reliable update causing least amount of user/device problems and also getting what they want accomplished with the update. Sometimes unfortunately one of these two things holds up the other...

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I got the Galaxy Nexus on release day and lived with it (and the problems) for a month and a half and decided to switch to the RAZR MAXX to get away from the issues with the GN. The GN is sitting in my drawer and I was hoping an update would solve my issues but no update has been forthcoming.

The RAZR was released in mid November and has now had two official OTA updates (in 3 months) and the rumor is now that the GN will have it's first update in March (3 months after release). I don't call the initial update released prior to launch as an update as that was just an easy way for Verizon to fix a phone that wasn't ready to be released but didn't want to update them all themselves before selling the phones (saving Verizon time and money).

Anyway, a major selling point of the GN was the updates were going to come fast and furious and people (mainly on the forums) are still using this as a way to justify how great this phone is. I'm confused and wondering if there is anything to this "feature" of the Nexus family of phones. How is Motorola updating their phones faster than the phones that are supposed to be updated quickly by Google?

Anyone else confused or have insight into this?

Really, the Nexus IS being updated faster than the others, the updates just arent coming out OTA.

There have been 2 updates in two months, both are currently in the ROMS and MODS section of this forum.

Not really the answer you were looking for, I know. But realistically, any OTA with verizon is going to take some time. The quickest way around that is to unlock your bootloader and learn how to do it yourself. I did my first flash 2 days ago because I got tired of waiting.

Reactions: axne1

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Google could push out update build after build and have them fail or cause even more problems, possibly even bricked devices or..... Wait patiently for an update that meets their certification for being a reliable update causing least amount of user/device problems and also getting what they want accomplished with the update. Sometimes unfortunately one of these two things holds up the other...

I hear you, however...

Ok, so don't update the whole OS just update the areas where the problems are. I'd much rather have updates when the problems are resolved then have to live with issues for 3+ months while they add features and have to work the bugs out of the new features. Motorola has seemed to figure a way to get out two updates for the RAZR to resolve issues in a short amount of time.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I hear you, however...

Ok, so don't update the whole OS just update the areas where the problems are. I'd much rather have updates when the problems are resolved then have to live with issues for 3+ months while they add features and have to work the bugs out of the new features. Motorola has seemed to figure a way to get out two updates for the RAZR to resolve issues in a short amount of time.

That's pretty much what they have been doing, plus a little bit of feature modifications here and there.

Programming and coding is a pretty grueling process. Depending on what the issue is and how big the program is they could have to sift through a book's worth of code to find the problem area.

Everyone is a little edgy to have their toy/important cell device fixed, so i know where u r coming from :)

bakerbert

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I think what most people are talking about when they say first to get updates is latest and greatest, this phone will be one of the first to receive Jellybean (or what ever the next android operating system is called) just like the nexus s was one of the first to receive ICS.

As for bug fixes, they will be coming. (this is just my opinion)
There is a lot of bugs i see people reporting and it dose not seem to be universal across every phone. So there is a chance it is not just Google, Sammy might need to be involved on a few and it will take some time to make sure they get it right (or close to right).

or you could always root and ROM and get the latest version first. 4.0.4 is already out there.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree.. If these problems with the GN are reflected on Google's behalf I can understand the hold up. Google usually waits to get it done right before pushing the update. Carriers/manufacture controlled updates normally aren't as forgiving to the customer. They will push something out just to quiet the masses knowing it doesn't completely resolve the issues, needing further updates.

Little example of this was back on my last device the Samsung Epic 4g. They pushed out Froyo EB13 only to have it cause big problems, a week into the OTA schedule it was pulled then 3 weeks later it was released again as Froyo EC05. The initial rollout causes bricks, data loss problems, all kinds of headaches... If they had only waited that bit longer to get it right the first time..... We've seen this history repeat itself time and time again across all the carriers/manufacture provided updates.

I agree with you, waiting is hard and its something nobody likes but as the old saying goes "good things come to those who wait..." I think the GN will prove this saying correct given time...

rgm1266

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
The radio/data issue needs to be resolved VERY QUICKLY!!!! I'm tired of the drops calls and loss of data connections with the GN. I got it Sunday and thinking about taking it back within the next couple of days.

It's a sweet device. But with the constant data issues, I need something more reliable.

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
The radio/data issue needs to be resolved VERY QUICKLY!!!! I'm tired of the drops calls and loss of data connections with the GN. I got it Sunday and thinking about taking it back within the next couple of days.

It's a sweet device. But with the constant data issues, I need something more reliable.

I agree, I could live with some of the smaller issues but the following need to be fixed ASAP as the phone isn't reliable as it now stands and is the reason it is in my desk drawer as I NEED a reliable phone (thank God for the RAZR MAXX). I replaced my original GN with a warranty replacement GN and had the same issues with the new device.

1. Data connection issue
2. Volume issue
3. Random reboot issue
4. Mic issue

schizrade

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I always figured the purpose of this device was for users have the freedom to upgrade them on their own, with the options they want.

Never saw this as a mass consumer hand holding device.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I consider this 'problem' a non issue. With the amount of talented developers working on this phone, updates come fast enough.
I've been on 403 for over a month and they are working hard on getting 404 out as soon as the source drops. I rest easy as they will get 405 out asap.
The op probably likes to install official stuff and that is fine, hence the waiting.
I install the unofficial stuff. It's just as good if not better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I always figured the purpose of this device was for users have the freedom to upgrade them on their own, with the options they want.

Never saw this as a mass consumer hand holding device.

Lol, it's a retail smartphone which is sold and marketed (as a mass consumer device) just like every other $700 Verizon smartphone. Expecting it to work without having to perform workarounds or root/unlock the phone is far from needing handholding. Show me somewhere in Verizon/Samsung/Google's marketing that indicates this device is for those wanting to root/unlock their phones to have a properly functioning device?

Your view of the device is very shortsighted.

Last edited:

coloneljames

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Anyway, a major selling point of the GN was the updates were going to come fast and furious
i never heard updates were to come fast and furiously. i heard we would get them first, but first is not the same as fast and furious.

fortunately, i've not experienced the same issues as many of you so i can afford the luxury of patience.

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
i never heard updates were to come fast and furiously. i heard we would get them first, but first is not the same as fast and furious.

fortunately, i've not experienced the same issues as many of you so i can afford the luxury of patience.

There was all kinds of talk about the updates coming quickly and directly from Google at the time of launch of this phone which can be seen by searching this forum. Maybe I was expecting too much when I read these initial posts about the benefits of the GN.

I have another phone to rely on until the official updates happen with the GN but feel for those that need a reliable phone and are stuck with an unreliable GN.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
There was all kinds of talk about the updates coming quickly and directly from Google at the time of launch of this phone which can be seen by searching this forum. Maybe I was expecting too much when I read these initial posts about the benefits of the GN.

I have another phone to rely on until the official updates happen with the GN but feel for those that need a reliable phone and are stuck with an unreliable GN.

It sucks. Of course, you can root and end most of your problems.

And you believed the word of forum users regarding the frequency and impact of updates for a phone that had no real release date and was guarded with quite of a lot of secrecy? C'mon man, the internets. The freakin' internets.

rgm1266

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
With the amount of money it cost to purchase a phone, we should EXPECT and DESERVE to have a product to work to our satisfaction. When you purchase a new car or another type of product, don't you expect it to be working properly? YES!!! The cell phone industry is the only service where I know they can release a faullty product and know that, and then lock you into a contract that requires you to pay to get out of it.

I don't think we are asking too much for a phone to be reliable and stable for making calls and data connections. Samsung, Google, or VZW should have released a statement saying they are aware of this problem and should have a resolution shortly. They should update consumers accordingly. But if they did that, that would be admitting they released a faulty product and would lose revenue.

It's all about $$$$$$s.

Sorry for the rant. Just getting frustrated about this.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok, where are all these updates I was promised?

I want to know who promised you updates. I looked at the receipt that came with the phone. No promise of updates. I looked at Verizon's web site. No promise of update. I don't know where else to look, can you point me in the right direction? Where did you get these promises?

As far as I can surmise, the only ones making such a promise are other posters on this forum.

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I want to know who promised you updates. I looked at the receipt that came with the phone. No promise of updates. I looked at Verizon's web site. No promise of update. I don't know where else to look, can you point me in the right direction? Where did you get these promises?

As far as I can surmise, the only ones making such a promise are other posters on this forum.

Lol, I was being sarcastic of all the threads on this forum that said this phone would get updates faster (and directly from Google).

However, when I was working with Verizon level two tech support I was told that this phone is on the "fast track" for updates and I should live with these "known" issues as the first update was scheduled for the end of January to fix them.

Of course no promises were made (by anyone that mattered), it was sarcasm my friend.

With the amount of money it cost to purchase a phone, we should EXPECT and DESERVE to have a product to work to our satisfaction. When you purchase a new car or another type of product, don't you expect it to be working properly? YES!!! The cell phone industry is the only service where I know they can release a faullty product and know that, and then lock you into a contract that requires you to pay to get out of it.

I don't think we are asking too much for a phone to be reliable and stable for making calls and data connections. Samsung, Google, or VZW should have released a statement saying they are aware of this problem and should have a resolution shortly. They should update consumers accordingly. But if they did that, that would be admitting they released a faulty product and would lose revenue.

It's all about $$$$$$s.

Very well said!

Last edited:
Reactions: rgm1266

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

It's all about $$$$$$s.

Having bought ~ 4 cars, this is the furthest thing from the truth. Rarely do cars work ever 100% as promised. Their faults may be nonobvious, but that does not mean there are complications and imperfections. Sure, you can sell it, try a lemon claim, etc. etc., but if you financed that car--good luck.

There's a reason why warranty protection exists for the consumer in both product arenas. You bought a contractual right to get stuff fixed, use it!