Old SIM vs. new SIM

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Is there any advantage to using my old SIM (in my S6 currently and originally in my Droid Maxx) in my new S9 rather than the new SIM that comes with it? Pros and cons please.

Would using my old SIM bypass the activation fee?

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I've been told they have a shelf life of about 2 years. I am always too impatient to call and activate a new one.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Is there any advantage to using my old SIM (in my S6 currently and originally in my Droid Maxx) in my new S9 rather than the new SIM that comes with it? Pros and cons please.

Would using my old SIM bypass the activation fee?

You can't bypass the fee on Verizon. They know you upgraded.

There are really no real pros and cons unless you're having issues with service.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. I used the same SIM for 4 years, switching it from phone to phone (I had 3 I used) - no "last for 2 years" problem. The time they last is determined by the amount they're written to, and unless you keep texts and/or contacts on the SIM (which you shouldn't), they're never written to after they're made.

2. The carrier usually determines whether you can use the SIM that comes with the phone or not. With T-Mobile, with a $27 charge for a SIM, you can buy a T-Mobile SIM on eBay for about $3 and activate it with a phone call (if the "associate" can get the number correct - mine had to be told about 5 times before she did). With Verizon, if they still work the way they did when I was with them, it's the same thing - you call them to change SIMs. (If you don't have an account with them, you sometimes have to pay an activation fee - if you go into the store and ask nicely what they can do to sweeten the deal to get you as a customer, they usually waive it if you mention it - if you do, you can ask if they can waive any fee to keep you as a customer. If the associate won't or can't, call 611 and ask for the retention department - their only reason for existence is to keep customers from leaving.) AT&T gives out SIM cards like candy - I never got charged for one, and I went through a few when I was switching between phones that used different size cards. When I asked if they had an old adapter they could give me (they're worth about 2 cents), they didn't even bother to look, they just offered me a new card.

So, depending on your carrier, it may pay to buy one or it may pay to just ask them to switch your phone and let them stick a SIM into it if they prefer. Since it's probably Verizon, ask in the store and if they won't, call retention. (Or go to https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...port/activate-your-own-device/&token=N8fBziPd and read.)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
1. I used the same SIM for 4 years, switching it from phone to phone (I had 3 I used) - no "last for 2 years" problem. The time they last is determined by the amount they're written to, and unless you keep texts and/or contacts on the SIM (which you shouldn't), they're never written to after they're made.

2. The carrier usually determines whether you can use the SIM that comes with the phone or not. With T-Mobile, with a $27 charge for a SIM, you can buy a T-Mobile SIM on eBay for about $3 and activate it with a phone call (if the "associate" can get the number correct - mine had to be told about 5 times before she did). With Verizon, if they still work the way they did when I was with them, it's the same thing - you call them to change SIMs. (If you don't have an account with them, you sometimes have to pay an activation fee - if you go into the store and ask nicely what they can do to sweeten the deal to get you as a customer, they usually waive it if you mention it - if you do, you can ask if they can waive any fee to keep you as a customer. If the associate won't or can't, call 611 and ask for the retention department - their only reason for existence is to keep customers from leaving.) AT&T gives out SIM cards like candy - I never got charged for one, and I went through a few when I was switching between phones that used different size cards. When I asked if they had an old adapter they could give me (they're worth about 2 cents), they didn't even bother to look, they just offered me a new card.

So, depending on your carrier, it may pay to buy one or it may pay to just ask them to switch your phone and let them stick a SIM into it if they prefer. Since it's probably Verizon, ask in the store and if they won't, call retention. (Or go to https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...port/activate-your-own-device/&token=V3i__gWt and read.)

Verizon will give a SIM for free. They charge an "Upgrade Fee" when you upgrade. You can call sometimes to get it waived -- hit or miss. Depends on rep.

SIM can be changed via the online console as well for the account.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawiss