[Old version][Guide][Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Guide][Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN

Glad I read this. I plan to do this tomorrow morning to go back to KitKat. Lollipop is horrible. Quick question: doing this doesn't require your phone to be rooted correct? I have a galaxy s5 on Verizon.

Posted via the Android Central App
Doesn't require to be rooted, but I would make sure the rollback can happen. Depending on model and android version this may not be possible.

From an AOSP M8

miva2

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site

So uhm, I think I softbricked my Ace 2 GT-I8160.
I flashed a file on it with Odin and it gets stuck on the "Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 GT-I8160" screen (just black with white letters). I believe this counts as a soft brick? I've seen it referred to as bootloop but it doesn't loop, it stays stuck.
This did happen sometime in the past but don't remember how I recovered from it. I believe I flashed a stock rom.
So I wanted to flash a stock rom but had trouble finding the files. Some thread on XDA had broken links. samsung-updates sends me to fishy sites that make me wait for hours to then say the download has failed.
Earlier I found sammobile.com which looks like a lot better site. I'm downloading one of the files right now. I see it comes in zip format.
Can I use this file in Odin or is this strictly for use in the recovery mode? I can only boot into download mode.

I have a nandroid backup on my sd card. Can I use that somehow? (maybe good idea to put it on pc first, you never know :) )

Any tips are helpful. Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

So you have a custom recovery? If so, flashing this file will bring you back to stock., and you will lose the ability to depend on that backup.

miva2

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site

Thank you for the fast reply Golfdriver!
No, I currently do not have a custom recovery. I had a temporary CWM in the past (few months ago when I was also toying around with my ace, then I didnt do much with it the past months until yesterday). I created the backup using an app called Online Nandroid Backup.
I flashed some file that I had lying around, which is ofcourse a very dumb thing to do. I now learned I should always be sure what exactly the file is before flashing.

By this time my download from earlier has finally finished. I see the zip file contains a flashable md5 file, that's great. It also contains a dll file, is this important? None of the other buttons in Odin take a dll file.

Yes I am trying to get back to stock and when that works I can flash another ROM. (Or can I flash a custom rom directly? I have not seen md5 or tar files for those. I read somewhere that you can't just 'rename' the zip to tar files as they are in different format or something.)

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thank you for the fast reply Golfdriver!
No, I currently do not have a custom recovery. I had a temporary CWM in the past (few months ago when I was also toying around with my ace, then I didnt do much with it the past months until yesterday). I created the backup using an app called Online Nandroid Backup.
I flashed some file that I had lying around, which is ofcourse a very dumb thing to do. I now learned I should always be sure what exactly the file is before flashing.

By this time my download from earlier has finally finished. I see the zip file contains a flashable md5 file, that's great. It also contains a dll file, is this important? None of the other buttons in Odin take a dll file.

Yes I am trying to get back to stock and when that works I can flash another ROM. (Or can I flash a custom rom directly? I have not seen md5 or tar files for those. I read somewhere that you can't just 'rename' the zip to tar files as they are in different format or something.)
Sorry for the delay in replying. Working right now. I would start by flashing the md5 file. As long as it is for the exact model number you should be fine.

From an AOSP M8

miva2

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site

(is there no edit function on this forum?)

When I was about to flash the aforementioned file I noticed my phone randomly disconnects when it is connected to my computer in download mode. I plugged the charger in my phone and let it charge a while, while I played a game. It's been charging for 1 or 2 hours.
I put Odin ready to flash the file but my phone still disconnects and shuts down in download mode. When I try to boot normally it doesn't react. It doesn't even show the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 screen.

I pulled out the SD card to save my backups that I had on it and put it back in. **** I just tried and without SD card it doesn't even go to download mode anymore!
I have done nothing else with my phone besides charging it. I charged it with the wall charger that came with it. Earlier I charged it through usb connected to my laptop though.

Ugh, I can't get it in download mode anymore. Can a softbricked phone become hardbricked by removing/putting in an sdcard (while shut down) or by charginig?
It currently does not have any sim card but that shouldn't be any problem right? I transferred it over to my old phone yesterday.

Can a softbricked phone still charge?(I don't see why not) Can I try this with a new battery? My brother has the same phone, can I use his battery?

This is a very annoying situation...

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Was the file in the process of flashing when the phone disconnected? If so, then you may have a brick. Partial flashes are not good.

miva2

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site

Nope, It was not in the proces of flashing. I stopped myself from clicking the start button in Odin just in time.
The battery was depleted. I asked my brother with the same phone to charge my battery and it worked again.
For some reason it does not charge when soft-bricked.

I flashed the file found on sammobile and am now back on stock rom but lost root access. I still have all my apps which I think is strange. I thought it would give me the same result as a factory reset.
Now I can proceed again with rooting, installing a recovery and flashing a working rom :)

Thanks for the help.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Nope, It was not in the proces of flashing. I stopped myself from clicking the start button in Odin just in time.
The battery was depleted. I asked my brother with the same phone to charge my battery and it worked again.
For some reason it does not charge when soft-bricked.

I flashed the file found on sammobile and am now back on stock rom but lost root access. I still have all my apps which I think is strange. I thought it would give me the same result as a factory reset.
Now I can proceed again with rooting, installing a recovery and flashing a working rom :)

Thanks for the help.
Good. Glad everything worked out. Strange all you apps were there, but it worked, and in your place I would just smile, nod, and be glad everything went through.

From an AOSP M8

My Android sucks

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Hey Golfdriver,

Thanks for the guide, I'd have surely messed something up without it.

Now that I'm running my beloved KitKat, I've got to find a way to stop the damn OTA update reminders.

Take care!

Ilene nope

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Every time I try to open the firmware file in the AP box, Odin keeps freezing (program not responding). I have tried rebooting my PC, I have tried 2 different versions of Odin, and they keep freezing. Any suggestions how to get it to work?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The MD5 hash of the file has to be computed, and if you're flashing a 2GB ROM file, that takes time. Just open it in AP and go make a cup of tea. It'll come back in about 2 minutes (or more if your computer is slower than mine).

Steve Majkic

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi i bricked my s4 gt-i9507 lte aus/hk variantonly goes in download mode and cant seem to be able to flash stock firmware plz help

ive managed to flash cm 12 final but reception problems and fails the stock flash after it

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Majkic

May 26, 2015
Visit site
yea ive done all that i need to get a efs backup to restore wich i stupidly didnt backup before i flashed ive usd the same os as i always did on the stock one kept the file it used to work before i bricked it now i can only install a custom os through twrp nothing else flashes to it, wen i bricked my phone i accidently put the wrong pit file in and i cant seem to get the right one to fix it

hi thanks for the reply, yea ive got everything running i flashed an incorrect pit file and the efs needs to be repaired odin wont flash official roms ive downloaded all of the opt versions across the net every version flash fail i tried downloading the pit files on the net to do with the phone and i guess no pass

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.