On the Verge - Episode 1 now online (with Matias Duarte)

Timokreon

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Now where is the part about the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon?

I listened to the whole thing. He doesn't state that verizon is going to get the nexus in November, he states that the nexus will be available in November, but doesn't want to steal the thunder from the partners. Nowhere, as someone posted, does he say specifically about the verizon nexus. The question asked of him was (paraphrasing) ,it's coming to verizon as an lte device, gsm the rest of the world... when can I buy the nexus. Very disappointing. He wasn't asked when can I buy the Verizon nexus.

Listen at 25:10 onward.

thescreensavers

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Talked about Roboto Font

You will be able to purchase it in November. I'm not selling it so, I cannot steal our partners thunder.

He was showing the phone with a week old build, showed live video effects in the camera app, talked about the camera app some more

Talked about Face unlock and its shortcomings.
-Strangers cant unlock it...

Announcement of ICS Release

Talked about skins on different android phones/tablets

thescreensavers

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Very disappointing. He wasn't asked when can I buy the Verizon nexus.

Listen at 25:10 onward.

Josh asked "when could I buy this phone"

Which implied Verizon as it is the only Carrier in the USA to have it right now.

Which really does not matter as he pretty much said nothing other then "November" which we knew.

bamaboy

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I thought the show was interesting, the verge is looking nice lately. Watched the whole thing and got to see a little nexus action, I can't wait for this phone to hurry up and come out.

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Undoubtedly the best news from this portion is the ICS/Nexus information. However I really liked what Patel said about the Razr, "The only reason to buy it is to say look how thin my phone is."

I will admit some temptation towards the Razr recently but that one statement cured me of that.

Timokreon

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Josh asked "when could I buy this phone"

Which implied Verizon as it is the only Carrier in the USA to have it right now.

Which really does not matter as he pretty much said nothing other then "November" which we knew.

Hope you're correct, however that's not the way I heard the question. He asked about both verizon and world wide in the question. The answer did not imply verizon, it could have easily been for the launch.

Again, I certainly hope you're correct. But I don't assume anything, especially when it concerns implied answers.

mykenyc

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Really guys? Almost every other company outside of Verizon have already announced dates, Matias Duarte wouldn't just say "out in November" thinking Josh wanted to purchase a international phone. Not trying to sound rude, but common sense need to be applied here.

th0r615

god of thunder.
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Really guys? Almost every other company outside of Verizon have already announced dates, Matias Duarte wouldn't just say "out in November" thinking Josh wanted to purchase a international phone. Not trying to sound rude, but common sense need to be applied here.
Common sense isn't as common anymore.

I'm going to quote myself from another thread but having to do with the same subject...
Your right, he was only at an American event, for an American site, with an American audience, and was asked by an American that said hes been waiting for the American LTE version.. he was obviously talking about the European launch.

Timokreon

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site

I deal with various forms of government entities on a daily basis. His question, at best, was poorly worded. I don't assume anything. Perhaps you equate common sense with assuming, fine.. live your life that way. I deal in specifics. If I assume an answer is one way, while another person thinks it's implied another... well.. common sense can figure out what happens.

As I stated, I certainly hope you're correct. I'm done. Enjoy.

Mannysaurus

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I feel like there will be new information tomorrow. How great would the following be:

"And here you can see our new subscription-based music store. The days of paying for individual songs have faded away. All you have to do now is open up this app, add the song to your cloud, and you can listen to it whenever you want - instantly. To power this service in the United States, we introduce the Galaxy Nexus running on Verizon's blazing fast 4G LTE network. Expect them to be arriving as stores this upcoming Tuesday".

One can only dream..

mykenyc

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I deal with various forms of government entities on a daily basis. His question, at best, was poorly worded. I don't assume anything. Perhaps you equate common sense with assuming, fine.. live your life that way. I deal in specifics. If I assume an answer is one way, while another person thinks it's implied another... well.. common sense can figure out what happens.

As I stated, I certainly hope you're correct. I'm done. Enjoy.

Common sense is understanding everything that is going on even if the response at hand is ambiguous. Firstly, he states "If you don't take me to your dungeon i can hook you up", why would he even need to word it that way (in a suspenseful i'm giving you info away) for other countries that already announced the phone, lets now present evidence for the latter:

Samsung confirms Galaxy Nexus UK launch date SAMSUNG

Quoting this doc:

"The Samsung Galaxy Nexus will be available on the 17th of November 2011 in a range of UK retailers."

That was posted by Samsung on November 4th. Being that Uk is already announced are we going to assume he is talking about Canada? I understand your point about specifics, but i think anyone can connect the dots here.

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the question was with no doubt about a US/Verizon version of the phone.

Another interesting part was when Duarte was talking about the camera. He was saying that all the extra controls found on most point and shoot cameras (white balance, exposure, etc.) were useless on a phone. I am by no means a photographer, but do see how those can be useful for someone willing to take a minute or two to set up their camera how they want. Not really a big deal to me, but I could see some camera enthusiasts not liking that too much.