Opinions Needed: Repair Unlocked Note 9 or Accept Verizon Insurance Replacement?

Echoes

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Hey y'all!

I have an awesome factory unlocked Note 9 (SM-N960U1) which I've had since pre-order. It still runs great other than a slightly aging battery (down to about 3400mah capacity now). However, a couple of days ago I cracked the glass and damaged the screen/digitizer (big star in the glass, flickering screen). Not realizing that insurance covered less expensive screen repairs, I filed a $200 Asurion claim to get a new phone sent out to me.

I know that Asurion usually sends refurbs, so that's what I was expecting, but the phone I received seems to be new. It's in perfect physical condition, with factory plastic on the sides, and all of the reburb checker apps are reporting that the phone is original and that the IMEI has never been registered before. The catch is that it's a Verizon carried phone that was unlocked (SM-N960U), which is of course less desirable than a factory unlocked device. The only other issue is that the volume seems to be overall lower than my original device, and a lot quieter when both devices are at half volume.

Since receiving the replacement device, I've learned that Verizon/Asurion offer a $30 screen replacement service, which I could use on my original device. Obviously a lot less expensive, but more importantly I could keep my original unlocked phone and continue using it. I could even get the battery replaced and still come out $100 ahead of the replacement phone.

But I'm kinda stuck here. Part of me wants to repair the original device (factory unlocked, I know exactly where it's always been, sentimental value, significantly less expensive), but it seems crazy to turn down what seems to be a new phone. Plus I'll have to worry about the authorized repair place (UBreakIFix in my case) doing high quality work. I know there are ways to get around the carrier bloatware, and I could flash the unlocked firmware (I don't really want to mess with doing that), but it will still never be a proper SM-N960U1. Whatever I decide, I plan on using the device for at least another 2+ years.

What would you do?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hey y'all!

I have an awesome factory unlocked Note 9 (SM-N960U1) which I've had since pre-order. It still runs great other than a slightly aging battery (down to about 3400mah capacity now). However, a couple of days ago I cracked the glass and damaged the screen/digitizer (big star in the glass, flickering screen). Not realizing that insurance covered less expensive screen repairs, I filed a $200 Asurion claim to get a new phone sent out to me.

I know that Asurion usually sends refurbs, so that's what I was expecting, but the phone I received seems to be new. It's in perfect physical condition, with factory plastic on the sides, and all of the reburb checker apps are reporting that the phone is original and that the IMEI has never been registered before. The catch is that it's a Verizon carried phone that was unlocked (SM-N960U), which is of course less desirable than a factory unlocked device.

Since receiving the replacement device, I've learned that Verizon/Asurion offer a $30 screen replacement service, which I could use on my original device. Obviously a lot less expensive, but more importantly I could keep my original unlocked phone and continue using it. I could even get the battery replaced and still come out $100 ahead of the replacement phone.

But I'm kinda stuck here. Part of me wants to repair the original device (factory unlocked, I know exactly where it's always been, sentimental value, significantly less expensive), but it seems crazy to turn down what seems to be a new phone. Plus I'll have to worry about the authorized repair place (UBreakIFix in my case) doing high quality work. I know there are ways to get around the carrier bloatware, and I could flash the unlocked firmware (I don't really want to mess with doing that), but it will still never be a proper SM-N960U1. Whatever I decide, I plan on using the device for at least another 2+ years.

What would you do?
It's really a toss up and it depends on who does the screen repair. Some places do a good job of maintaining water resistance. I wouldn't worry about carrier bloat but I'm surprised that there are new ones still around.

Echoes

May 25, 2010
Visit site
It's really a toss up and it depends on who does the screen repair. Some places do a good job of maintaining water resistance. I wouldn't worry about carrier bloat but I'm surprised that there are new ones still around.

Yeah, that makes sense. Naturally I'd only go to reputable shops that are authorized repair centers and use OEM parts.

And I was surprised about that too. Granted it came in an Asurion box rather than a factory box but I can't find any evidence of it not being new. Another person on the Note 9 subreddit reported the exact same experience about a day after I received my replacement.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, that makes sense. Naturally I'd only go to reputable shops that are authorized repair centers and use OEM parts.

And I was surprised about that too. Granted it came in an Asurion box rather than a factory box but I can't find any evidence of it not being new. Another person on the Note 9 subreddit reported the exact same experience about a day after I received my replacement.
Are you actually able to return the Asurian? Unless they changed their policy I seem to recall that once you put in a claim it was final.

Echoes

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I believe so. I spoke to them about it, and multiple people confirmed that I could. I also remember returning the replacement about 10 years ago (the last time I made a claim).

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Get the screen replaced, new battery optional now or later, and be on your way. Ubreakitifixit does good work, been to them twice here in Denver, excellent customer service.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Get the screen replaced, new battery optional now or later, and be on your way. Ubreakitifixit does good work, been to them twice here in Denver, excellent customer service.
Does Ubreakfix work under the Verizon/Asurian warranty for 30 dollars?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I prefer Verizon branded phones because I know everything is fully compatible with the network. The time I tried an unlocked phone, it worked, but didn't have Wi-Fi calling and the My Verizon app wouldn't register biometrics on it. If I were in your shoes, I'd accept the exchange, especially with it being a new and not refurbished phone.

Echoes

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I prefer Verizon branded phones because I know everything is fully compatible with the network. The time I tried an unlocked phone, it worked, but didn't have Wi-Fi calling and the My Verizon app wouldn't register biometrics on it. If I were in your shoes, I'd accept the exchange, especially with it being a new and not refurbished phone.

I totally understand that line of thinking. In my case, I've used the unlocked version for almost 2 years and it has outperformed all of my expectations for my use cases. I definitely prefer unlocked functionality.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Note 9 unlocked with maintain WIFI calling and Volte on Verizon.

Echoes

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Just to confirm, yes Verizon/Asurion uses authorized Samsung repair centers (like UBreakIFix) for their screen repairs. A $30 deductible for a full screen repair (plus 90 day warranty on the work) seems pretty tough to beat.

Echoes

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Nice then I would jump on that , you said 30.00?

Yessir. I think it's something like $240 normally, but it's a $30 deductible through Asurion. I'm going to take another day to think about it, but I think I'm leaning toward the repair route. Especially being as people seem to like UBreakIFix's work.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yessir. I think it's something like $240 normally, but it's a $30 deductible through Asurion. I'm going to take another day to think about it, but I think I'm leaning toward the repair route. Especially being as people seem to like UBreakIFix's work.
Yeah definitely think it over but 30.00 I'll take anytime lol

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I paid 300 to repair my Note 10+ but I think it included a battery replacement because the screen requires fidgeting with the battery. Don't know if that's true on the Note 9.