Opinions Needed! Samsung Note 10.1 2013 VS 2014

tess1977

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
This tablet would be for my husband who would use it for streaming live sports, playing games, social media & searching online. Most important is the streaming live sports. I want him to have a nice clear picture with smooth streaming abilities. We currently have the Samsung Note II for phones. I'm pretty well set on getting the Note 10.1 but I'm not sure what version. The 2014 I know has a much higher screen resolution but it's also $120+ more. Wondering if anyone has hands on experience with the two who can tell me if it's really worth the extra money.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Posted via Android Central App

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Is it worth $120 for the better screen, smaller form factor, and better specs?

Actually, it's worth it for the screen alone. The 2014 Edition in in a whole other league.

BubbaJon

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I dunno. I see no reason to lust after the newer unit as mine performs just fine. The wifi limits you more then the unit speed. Anyway the old models are selling for substantially less with a price spread more like $250.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
That older model is going to be long in the tooth 6 months to a year from now. The 14 really is in another league

anon(8275279)

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
If you have the $120, get the newer version. Otherwise he will be looking at it almost immediately with Note envy.
I wish my wife was asking this question! :)

ChuckeeDroid

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I own the original Note 10.1 and the 2014 edition.
I'll have to say that the new version is much, much nicer.
I was very happy with the original until I saw it side by side with the new one.

I use S Note a lot and the new version is much better.

The one thing that I don't like about the new version is the hardware and capacity buttons. They get in the way sometimes if you hold the tablet in portrait.
Other than that, it's noticably better in every way.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk 4

tess1977

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Croisan most tech guys/salesmen after talking to me high five me & tell my hubby what a lucky man he is LOL! Guess if I'm gonna be as lucky as I am I need to make sure he's lucky too :)

Thanks for all of the opinions & advice!! I picked up the 2014 version tonight! It is really nice. I know he'll feel guilty about the $ but he deserves it so he shall have it!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
You won't regret it. After using getting used to the screen on my Note 10.1, my Transformer Prime (which is also 1280 X 800 like the older Note) is a washed out, pixelated mess. Very strong screen door effect due to the visible pixel structure.

mcnee

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all of the opinions & advice!! I picked up the 2014 version tonight! It is really nice. I know he'll feel guilty about the $ but he deserves it so he shall have it!

I had to replace a stolen iPad and looked tween the Tab and Note, leaned towards the Note, then decided to go with the Note 2014. Either of the first two would have served me must great, was better performing than the iPad2 I lost... but I looked at the extra money as an investment. I can't afford to upgrade again in a year... I plan on putting this Note 2014 to heavy use for at least the two years... so getting what's pretty much top of the line now, I'm pretty well assured it will last that long, and then some.

And in your case, the screen is noticeably better, not sure that will be the case in the next generation or two, so your husband should be more than happy with it for quite awhile.

Mrteeth

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Samsung took a risk by selling this tablet more than the Ipad Air. Now I realize that this tablet is heads and shoulders above the Ipad air in terms of specs, features, and performance. But for the masses, at the end of the day, it's still a tablet. I purchased my first tablet 2 years ago (TF101 Transformer). It was under $350. I then upgraded to the TF300 a few months later. Earlier this year I bought the Note 10.1 for $300 used and have used it virtually every day. I do like the clearer screen. I do like the improvement in the S-pen. But at this point, if I sell mine, I would fetch around $250. I would then have to cover another $300+ for the new version. Worth it? In my book, No.

I will wait until early next year and see if the thing drops below $400.

tess1977

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Hubby loves it! Asked him how he watches the sports live. He said through NFL mobile & sometimes online :)

Thanks again!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, 2014 FTW... It's leaps and bounds ahead of the older model, TOTALLY worth the price difference... specially if you got in on Black Friday or CyberMonday deals, which went to even 120USD OFF MSRP...

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
If you have the $120, get the newer version. Otherwise he will be looking at it almost immediately with Note envy.
I wish my wife was asking this question! :)

Yeah, with electronics, go 1 step up, not down. Or the minute you get it, you'll be unhappy and wanting a change. ;) At least, that's me.

I had to replace a stolen iPad and looked tween the Tab and Note, leaned towards the Note, then decided to go with the Note 2014.

That is the decision I'm looking at now. So, the note has a pen. Ok. Other than that, were there any "deciders" that made you lean to Note rather than Tab, performance, screen?

Last edited:

drmrw2

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Not just that the note has a pen, but it work incredibly well. The handwriting is unbelievably smooth. Also has more ram (3gb) than the 2013 model. If you look at many of the reviews of the top tablets for this year the note 10.1 2014 is in the top 10, I don't think the tab makes the cut. Biggest criticism of the note 2014 is that the touchwiz is a bit "laggy" most reviewers said that. Someone on one of the forums here said that using nova launcher instead of touchwiz makes things much snappier as a launcher. Biggest criticisms of the 2014 I've seen are the price and some lagginess on the interface. Biggest raves were about the quality of the screen.

tess1977

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I have to say its a really really nice tablet. The picture is beautiful. The laginess is not something your average user is going to notice. I don't really know that I would notice & I'm sure my hubby won't. So far he loves it! Great buy! On cyber Monday it was $50 off so I get that refund too!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Laggy TouchWiz will ALWAYS be an issue in all Samsung devices. I've owned all of them since the Galaxy S2 (or bought one for a family member... I don't change phones every six months :p) and TouchWiz has NEVER been lag-free. Change the launcher if you don't like it and you're good to go. The thing is snappy except for Sammy's software interactions. Other than that, it's a good near-laptop replacement.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I have to say its a really really nice tablet. The picture is beautiful. The laginess is not something your average user is going to notice. I don't really know that I would notice & I'm sure my hubby won't. So far he loves it! Great buy! On cyber Monday it was $50 off so I get that refund too!

There are countless lag complaints on Samsung products, and as you say---I suspect most don't notice, don't care, as compared to their inherent speed. I never had any problem with lag issues on my S4 and after turning off animations, it was marginally better, but if I hadn't done so, I wouldn't have cared or noticed.

NB: In S4 threads it was suggested that lag could be removed by going to Developer Options and turning off animations. You can look those up. But I don't know, of course, if it is applicable to the tablet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nssimpson