ordered a Note 5 on Device Payment Plan, but never activated it... so what happens now?

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
A few weeks ago, I ordered a Note 5 from Verizon's website because they were having the 400-off deal. $200 was instantly taken off during the order process and brought my Device Payment Plan to just $469. A few days later, I shipped them my $10 prepaid smartphone. They processed it and gave me the $200 trade-in account credit as promised.

Here's the thing. I requested to have a prepaid T-Mobile number ported to that new Note 5. The next day, I got a call from Verizon's porting department and said that they were unable to port the T-Mobile number. I called T-Mobile and found out that the number was disconnected because I haven't refilled the prepaid acct in months. It didn't really matter to me. I only did the porting to see if there was a chance that I would get the additional $100 port-in account credit in 2 to 3 months. I never intended to use this phone with a new line. The new Note 5 is actually currently being used on my other line. I already tossed the nano SIM that came with in the trash(before it was ever turned on)

Fast forward to today. As or right now, the new Note 5 still doesn't have a number associated to it. It also does not show up on my Verizon account. However, Verizon did start billing me about $20 a month for the Device Payment Plan.

If I just ignore this and continue to pay my monthly bill which includes the Device Payment Plan payment, I won't have to pay the monthly service fee for this new phone, right? (which shoudl be about $15 as an additional line on my family share account)

Is there anything that I should be worried about?

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm confused. You can't get a Note 5 without service. Either adding a line or by porting one in. By putting an already active nano sim in the new note 5, the note 5 will use the existing number tied to the sim. The note 5 isn't showing up because the sim that shipped with the Note 5 hasn't been activated. But Verizon will continue to bill you for the new line and the Note 5 regardless.. The port didn't work because your prepaid number was no longer active.

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm confused. You can't get a Note 5 without service. Either adding a line or by porting one in. By putting an already active nano sim in the new note 5, the note 5 will use the existing number tied to the sim. The note 5 isn't showing up because the sim that shipped with the Note 5 hasn't been activated. But Verizon will continue to bill you for the new line and the Note 5 regardless.. The port didn't work because your prepaid number was no longer active.

I'm confused as well.... they are billing me for the Device Payment Plan. but since the SIM that came with the Note 5 was never activated(plus the fact there was no new number tied to it yet), they are not charging me the $15 monthly line access fee.

regardless, I'm going to pay off the entire balance at the end of the first 90 days(starting from the day I ordered the Note 5), since that's when I can cancel the line and pay off the payment plan... according to the Verizon rep.

just wondering if they'll retroactively bill me for the 3 months of $15 line access fee...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
A few weeks ago, I ordered a Note 5 from Verizon's website because they were having the 400-off deal. $200 was instantly taken off during the order process and brought my Device Payment Plan to just $469. A few days later, I shipped them my $10 prepaid smartphone. They processed it and gave me the $200 trade-in account credit as promised.

Here's the thing. I requested to have a prepaid T-Mobile number ported to that new Note 5. The next day, I got a call from Verizon's porting department and said that they were unable to port the T-Mobile number. I called T-Mobile and found out that the number was disconnected because I haven't refilled the prepaid acct in months. It didn't really matter to me. I only did the porting to see if there was a chance that I would get the additional $100 port-in account credit in 2 to 3 months. I never intended to use this phone with a new line. The new Note 5 is actually currently being used on my other line. I already tossed the nano SIM that came with in the trash(before it was ever turned on)

Fast forward to today. As or right now, the new Note 5 still doesn't have a number associated to it. It also does not show up on my Verizon account. However, Verizon did start billing me about $20 a month for the Device Payment Plan.

If I just ignore this and continue to pay my monthly bill which includes the Device Payment Plan payment, I won't have to pay the monthly service fee for this new phone, right? (which shoudl be about $15 as an additional line on my family share account)

Is there anything that I should be worried about?
I have had that happen before when I added a line. The line was never added. Verizon never charged me anything on the line, just for the phone. Ymmv of course.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5