Oreo gripes

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Let's hear them

Do not disturb in notification tray now just straight up turns on DND, used to have a convenient thing that came up with a time to turn itself off.

Bunch of persistent notifications I can't turn off without tasker. At least allow me to turn them off, this is getting worse not better. Seems like turning them off kills the background process, breaking things like LightFlow.

Accurate color option still buried in developer options, not in display where it belongs.

Super annoying bright quick settings now. Can't wait for theming to work. How long have we been asking for dark mode again?

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
GBoard microphone is broken. Doesn't work half the time. Terrible battery life. Bluetooth is much worse than before when connecting to Ford Sync.

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Sorry it's not working out for you. I've had a pretty good experience with it so far. Like anything else new, it takes a little getting used to but I definitely don't have the same gripes. My battery life is the biggest improvement I've seen so far. I hope it gets better for you.

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I keep getting a notification "Gmail is running in the background, select this to open battery settings" or something like that. Before I updated Gmail, the Gmail app was sending me a new email notification every 5 mins. I've had problems in the past with Gmail so I use Outlook. But since Oreo Gmail is going nuts.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Well, my microphone works fine. Of course, my GBoard keyboard doesn't have a microphone symbol but when I switched to voice typing it worked fine. My battery is fine, too. Of course, I don't play games, stream movies, or sit on social media.

There are features I wish Android had that it doesn't but that will always be the case. I used the beta all the way through and, yes, it had some glitches at first but I'm delighted with the performance of Android 8.0, considering what it's supposed to do. I rarely use Bluetooth so I connected my Bluetooth mouse. Worked fine.

Some people don't have problems and others do. I wonder what the variable might be. Perhaps Google sent them a different edition of Android 8? I can't think of what else it could possibly be.

Due to my sense of neatness on electronic devices I used the final version of Android 8 for a few days and then did a factory restore. All is fine.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Point of clarification I'm only looking for design differences people don't agree with, not bugs. Mine has been rather bug free except for the volume DND panel picture missing that was reported.

I'd feel so much better if there was one place in settings where all these background services would go to be managed instead of being shoved in my face all the time.

I used that "DND quick setting / amount of time" thing all the time so I'm a little annoyed it went away.

I'm sort of liking what they did with the settings menu reorganization.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I hate the excessive white theme and the poor battery life.

Have you done a factory reset? It's always recommended to do a full FDR after a major version upgrade. My battery life was terrible (less than 18 hours) when I first upgraded last week. I did a FDR, restored all of my apps and now I'm getting (easily) a day and a half.

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
First day on Oreo. I of course hate the forced cheap white theming, so hopefully we'll be able to change that at some point. Also, I noticed that all my fonts in QuickPic are now fuschia. What's up with that? I don't see any way to set the font color in QuickPic, but maybe I'm just blind. If not, I will be after looking at all this fuschia text!

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
First day on Oreo. I of course hate the forced cheap white theming, so hopefully we'll be able to change that at some point. Also, I noticed that all my fonts in QuickPic are now fuschia. What's up with that? I don't see any way to set the font color in QuickPic, but maybe I'm just blind. If not, I will be after looking at all this fuschia text!
Damn, didn't even notice that in quickpic! I'm sure we will see an update for that soon,they seem to be pretty responsive.

On theming https://www.xda-developers.com/android-oreo-rootless-system-theme/

Dan L2

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
How do you send feed back to good regarding Oreo. I need dark theme. Can't stand a the new pull down menu colour.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
I'm waiting on that guys app to be released, haven't heard from it yet though.

It's on the play store. And after I posted I looked at mine and android O is an option for the theme I'm using (swift black) but I have a S8+ and was thinking about picking up a used pixel xl or getting the new one when it's released, and just wanted to know if anyone has tested Substratum out yet on O.

theMehi

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
If you click on the DND then expand the notifications, you can click to set the time.
Just updated, we'll see how it goes. I hate that this is two step now too with the DND

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Let's hear them

Do not disturb in notification tray now just straight up turns on DND, used to have a convenient thing that came up with a time to turn itself off.

Bunch of persistent notifications I can't turn off without tasker. At least allow me to turn them off, this is getting worse not better. Seems like turning them off kills the background process, breaking things like LightFlow.

Accurate color option still buried in developer options, not in display where it belongs.

Super annoying bright quick settings now. Can't wait for theming to work. How long have we been asking for dark mode again?

The change to DND is annoying and the new usage not immediately obvious.

You need to:

1. Pull down Notification shade
  2. Pull it down *all* the way
  3. Tap the "Do not disturb" dropdown
  4. Slide the slider at top-right of screen to the On position
  5. Now (finally!) you can select the time options.

I sincerely hope Google will "fix" this mess soon. :(

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
If you click on the DND then expand the notifications, you can click to set the time.
Just updated, we'll see how it goes. I hate that this is two step now too with the DND
I don't get a notification after turning DND on? Got excited for a second there.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
The change to DND is annoying and the new usage not immediately obvious.

You need to:

1. Pull down Notification shade
  2. Pull it down *all* the way
  3. Tap the "Do not disturb" dropdown
  4. Slide the slider at top-right of screen to the On position
  5. Now (finally!) you can select the time options.

I sincerely hope Google will "fix" this mess soon. :(
Thanks, that's a big help. But man the old way was so much slicker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrussellcampbell