OTA Gingerbread!

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
It's not the wrong file - the file name is:
6f37e6f6b9ab.OTA_Incredible_C_Gingerbread_S_VERIZO N_WWE_4.06.605.3-3.26.605.1_release_210690.zip

As he said, there is no reference to Sprint -- I just loaded it; it's all good.

Except, well . . . after seeing Gingerbread on the DInc2, I'm very disappointed that the only visual improvement seems to be the flip clock that actually flips now. hehe

The notification pane doesn't have any of the goodies found on the DInc2 or other phones. Why?

skunis1

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Please verify the following things:

Make sure you have the correct download. The full file name is listed in the Directions post on the first page.
SD Card is FAT32
The MD5 for the download matches the MD5 posted in the Instructions post
That the file name on your SD Card is update.zip; not update, update.zip.zip or any other variant. (You can boot your phone normally and use any file manager to look at the SD card)

If one of these things is not correct it will not work. This procedure works. It's been done by me personally several times today, and many others here have gotten it to work as well.

Be patient in HBOOT, it takes time for the process to read the card and find the file. The bigger your card/more stuff you have on it, the longer it will take.

Ok. I checked and again my card is FAT32, the file is named update.zip, the MD5 is exactly the same but I get nothing. HBOOT goes pretty fast and all I can read is the last line that says no image or wrong image.

I tried using recovery and I get Error in /sdcard/update.zip

What the heck is going on here?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok. I checked and again my card is FAT32, the file is named update.zip, the MD5 is exactly the same but I get nothing. HBOOT goes pretty fast and all I can read is the last line that says no image or wrong image.

I tried using recovery and I get Error in /sdcard/update.zip

What the heck is going on here?

At this point I would try a different SD card.

methodfx

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Manual Method worked great for me, no problems at all! ... Under Hardware Information it does say that I have a 4.3 inch WVGA Resolution display however. oh well ... maybe 2.3.5 will fix that :p

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
You can still force the update. Once you're in HBOOT, scroll down with VOL down to recovery. Hit the power button, It will reboot again and you will see an icon in the middle with a triangle and "!". Then push Vol up and Power at the same time and you will see a menu with blue wording. You scroll down to Apply update.zip from sd card. hit the power button and it should start!

This is what I ended up having to do after double verifying everything else. Worked fine.

methodfx

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Nobody really had anything to say about how 2.3.4 changed things. So I will ... seems quicker (flipping the notification bar and going through the screens), The HTC Clock now actually flips, "3G Mobile Hotspot" is added to the apps as well as "V Cast Apps" and "Downloads". A new "Fast boot" and "Running services" are added to application settings. Long press on a contact allows you to send contact info as vCard. A long press on text allows some more options also. Just a few things I noticed. Hopefully improved battery life will also be among them.

Enjoy!

- For me... It breathed new life into an aging device

Last edited:

skunis1

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
At this point I would try a different SD card.

Well, tried that and it didn't work.

I get the same messages.

Last time I went into recovery prior to today was last year for Froyo.

Not sure but when I go to apply sdcard:update.zip I first get this:

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

Then it says Install from sdcard...

But always craps out at the same point.

Would there be anything in my software information that may show something is not right?

Last edited:

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
It's not the wrong file - the file name is:
6f37e6f6b9ab.OTA_Incredible_C_Gingerbread_S_VERIZO N_WWE_4.06.605.3-3.26.605.1_release_210690.zip
and the EVO, though very similar to the DInc has different hardware and incompatible kernels. If it was the EVO flash (which was done ages ago) it would not work at all.

This is true but there is still something definitely NOT right about this update

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...tely-opppsie-ota-gingergread.html#post1225601

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Not sure but when I go to apply sdcard:update.zip I first get this:

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

This is normal don't worry about it. I dont recall a manual software update on a phone when I DIDN'T get this error. You should still be able to manually flash the update from the boot-loader using volume up and power at the same time as you see the triangle to bring up the menu.

skunis1

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
This is normal don't worry about it. I dont recall a manual software update on a phone when I DIDN'T get this error. You should still be able to manually flash the update from the boot-loader using volume up and power at the same time as you see the triangle to bring up the menu.
O ok trying to think of anything it could be. I still cannot get this to manually update.

Here is my current software info if that helps.

Baseband Version: 2.15.00.07.28

Kernel version: 2.6.32.17-g9a2fc16

htc-kernel@u18000-Build-149 #1

Build number: 3.26.605.1 CL264707 release-keys

Software number: 3.26.605.1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky