Otterbox- Commuter or Defender?

mattchew86

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok. So I've been looking at different cases for my Evo and have narrowed it down to 2: the Commuter and Defender. Now I have looked into other cases by other manufacturers, but I have had Otterboxes before, so I am sticking to that.

I have read review after review about both cases, with the majority preferring the Commuter. Price is not really an issue, but I refuse to spend upwards of $40 for something that is sub-par.

So what do you guys think? O would prefer the Defender, but I have heard there are issues with the materials used to make it. I would be fine with the Commuter, but I feel my device would not be as protected. Bulk is not an issue, neither is price. Quality is what I am looking for.

And please try to refrain from referring me to Siedio products. Have experience with them as well, and it was not positive.

techspark

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Imo u shuld go for commuter...defender is poorly built and has flimsy parts...many ppl have reported issues with the kickstand...so I will suggest u to stay away frm it. If you really want ultimate protection and don mind the bulk go for the ballistic hc case...its wl built and by far provides the most superior protection.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: mattchew86

Quacker87

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
There is absolutly nothing wrong with the defender series otterbox. Ive had mine for around a month now with no problems. Even if you do have problems with it otterbox will send you a new one asap. Ballistics customer service isnt as good as otterbox is. I would go with the defender because if you are like me and need a case that will actually protect your phone and not just "hold" it then you will need the protection on the defender. I have dropped my defender with the evo in it 3 times from waist height and there has not been any damage to the case of the phone for that matter.

P.S. You can find the Defender on Ebay for around $35 w/ free shipping.

j14woods

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I have the commuter and I love it. I have dropped it a few times don't have any complaints. You can get the commuter on amazon for about $15-$20

mattchew86

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I was leaning towards the commuter, but I really like the screen protector for the defender. DAMMIT! x(

I have heard from both sides that both are awesome, yet both suck. I really have no idea what to do.

Thanks for the feedback though. Back to square 1.

mattchew86

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
There is absolutly nothing wrong with the defender series otterbox. Ive had mine for around a month now with no problems. Even if you do have problems with it otterbox will send you a new one asap. Ballistics customer service isnt as good as otterbox is. I would go with the defender because if you are like me and need a case that will actually protect your phone and not just "hold" it then you will need the protection on the defender. I have dropped my defender with the evo in it 3 times from waist height and there has not been any damage to the case of the phone for that matter.

Hmm....I've seen some on Amazon for around $30 and have debated on picking them up, except it has a pretty bad track record on there. Is Otterbox's CS really good? And have they at least acknowledged and tried to fix whatever issues were on the first run?

steelewise

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
well i literally just dropped my evo 2.5 feet onto a clean garage floor with the commuter case on it fell flat on the screen and i now have a shattered screen. i would not suggest this case. i have the defender but its a little brickish for everyday use but my screen wouldnt be broken right now if it had been in the defender.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone had the Commuter for a while? If so, how is it holding up? Also, is the back part grippy or slippery plastic?

My original Seidio Amazon LE case was great until the plastic part got brittle and the corners fell off. Wrote to them about getting a replacement and never heard back. I bought the $8 Platinum (Seidio) Rugged case but I don't like it. The inner case messed up my screen protector and the rest of it is just to bulky, plus the plastic is very slippery.

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Dropped my phone multiple times from about 3 feet and nothing has happened to it, the defender is bulky and makes the EVO look like a PSP literally but it's worth the protection.

The screen protector alone is more than worth it.

Reactions: mattchew86

mattchew86

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Dropped my phone multiple times from about 3 feet and nothing has happened to it, the defender is bulky and makes the EVO look like a PSP literally but it's worth the protection.

The screen protector alone is more than worth it.

Really? That's great too hear. I was thinking about going for the commuter, but the screen protector was what I was really on the fence about.

Not too worried if the kickstand's not that great, I guess. Don't use it too often. Just when I plug it in for the night, and don't wish to scuff up my camera lens.

And I would feel safer if it's feels like a tank. Size is not an issue. If anything my baby would look better with some extra pounds put on ;)

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

palanilopez12

May 25, 2010
Visit site

I've had my case for about 3 months now and the kickstand just broke...otterbox would send me a new one because of that?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvagmailaccounts