Otterbox is here!

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
humm... I ordered the Commuter because I thought the defender would make the large DX too large but I'm liking the "real life" pictures of the Defender. One of my big concerns about the defender was the ability (or inability) to flick down the notification bar but it looks like Otterbox handled that part of the case better than Seidio.

I'll go ahead and let the commuter come and then decide whether or not to keep it or upgrade to a defender after I can fiddle around with it for a few minutes.

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Got my Commuter Case, and its by far the best case i've had for the X. Looks great and doesnt feel bulky at all, and fits the X perfectly. You can easily take it on and off w/o hastle.

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Got my Commuter Case, and its by far the best case i've had for the X. Looks great and doesnt feel bulky at all, and fits the X perfectly. You can easily take it on and off w/o hastle.

Do you think you could post some pics? I am trying to decide between the Defender & Commuter. Also, what are the measurements of the phone with the Commuter case on? (Length, width, & thickness) Does it slide easily in & out of your pocket?

Bond32: Thanks for the great pictures. It looks awesome. What are the measurements of the phone with the Defender case on? Does it slide easily in & out of your pocket?

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Its no good for a jeans pocket, maybe jacket. It catches pretty easy. I feel like the size is good though. The holster like I said, is a little big but it is really easy to take in and out of the holster one handed which I like. I am curious what the commuter looks like too - I thought the defender was the only one with the built in screen protector but I could be wrong.

Reactions: El Jefe

unseenme#WN

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I have been patiently waiting for these as well. Monday, when I got the email that they were here, I went to the website to check em out & saw they were having a Twitter contest all day, giving away a total of 6. I won one! Got my choice of either of the 3 (went with the Defender...had that series on my Storm 2). So now I'm waiting for it to arrive. Otter's are, to me, the best out there for overall protection.

Swyped from the BIGGEST BADDEST machine on the planet

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Its no good for a jeans pocket, maybe jacket. It catches pretty easy.

Thanks for the info...that is a dealbreaker for me then regardless of its size. I like the extra protection that the Defender offers over the Commuter, but as I despise wearing a phone on a holster & prefer the phone in my front pocket vs. a jacket pocket (to feel it vibrate if I have the ringer off when i get a call/text/email), not to mention that the Commuter is supposed to work with the Verizon extended battery. I think I will go with the Commuter. The description says it is designed to slide easily in and out of a pocket & still offers enough drop protection for my use.

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Do you think you could post some pics? I am trying to decide between the Defender & Commuter. Also, what are the measurements of the phone with the Commuter case on? (Length, width, & thickness) Does it slide easily in & out of your pocket?

here you go, pics taken with the x. You barely notice this case is on the phone, and it easily slides in and out of pant pocket cuz it has the hard shell on the outside. the only negatives ive noticed so far is that the silicone does collect some lint, and the silicone latch for the usb/hdmi ports is a little wonky on how it fits. just make sure you push it in, and it seems to stay put. also, otterbox is really cool about returns so if you dont like any of their cases, you can always return for a credit back to your card.

2010-11-19_11-35-33_800.jpg

2010-11-19_11-34-06_791.jpg

2010-11-19_11-33-49_541.jpg

Last edited:

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Use tb1010y for 10% off your order. Plus, there is free FedEx or USPS ground shipping from Otterbox.com

Thanks! But I found a better one by searching online. If you put in DiveShowOtter you will get 20% off your entire order. Plus, gafly is correct, they are offering free FedEx or USPS ground shipping.

I just ordered a Commuter case shipped to my door for $27.96!

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! But I found a better one by searching online. If you put in DiveShowOtter you will get 20% off your entire order. Plus, gafly is correct, they are offering free FedEx or USPS ground shipping.

I just ordered a Commuter case shipped to my door for $27.96!

smoking deal! i paid 39.00 for mine.

cobra302

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
just got mine in about an hour ago. nice case. love the protection and the fit. few gripes though:

1. the usb port cover and headphone port cover dont stay put well. i may end up clipping at least one of them.
2. there is no light coming thru from the buttons, so in the dark, you're gonna have to feel around to choose.
3. although i like the fact that the buttons are covered, pushing them is a little weird, i think it'll get better as the silicone gives a little.
4. the plastic used for the back and sides is SLICK!!! i'm hoping it wont slide out of the hand!

besides those relatively minor complaints, i really like the case. i actually love the "blacked" out look it gives the phone ;)

77Pat

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Very tempting with the coupon code (even though I do not have the phone yet). Trying to decide between the Otterbox Commuter and Incipio SILICRYLIC+Steinheil Ultra Crystal. They both seem like good cases at similar price points.

JulietBravo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I got my commuter case a few days ago. My first Otterbox purchase. So far, I am loving it!! I finally feel like my phone is fully protected (with minimal bulk) and I'm not nervous about it being naked anymore. Sure the camera isn't covered, but at least you can clean it without taking the entire case off. This case is fully secure and is not going anywhere. I do like there are plugs for each port, however, the top port plug doesn't fully go flush with the case, but that's ok. It does attract some pocket lint on the front because the front of the case has exposed silicone, but the sides and back of the case is hard and slick on the back side. I find it very easy going in and out of my pocket. It works for me, but I am not a picky person... it does it's job great.

cobra302

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Julietbravo, i took a small razor and trimmed off the extra nub at the top of the headphone plug. Worked great. Now the flap closes down flush. :)

mrseak

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
What should I order?

Got the Droid X with an extended battery on the way from Verizon. I talked to a rep at Otterbox and he says that their cases are not designed for the extended battery.

Does anybody here have any experience with the Commuter or the Impact on a DX from Verizon?