Overnight Battery Drain? (possible solution)--SOLVED--

scottfish

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
**I have a Pixel XL**

This has happened a few times to me where I go to bed around 10-11p and have more than enough battery to make it through the night, only to wake up to a powered off phone.

The first couple of times, I didn't pay it much mind, but last night, I took specific note of having 42% battery left and left the phone on the kitchen counter before heading to bed. This morning I woke up to a powered down phone. I half-expected to see myself at 30% after some of the other threads about teh phone turning off, but my battery was at 0%.

What makes this difficult is that the battery is completely drained, so I can't see what apps caused it.

I had previously charged at about 8am yesterday. I don't think I should lose 42% of battery in 8 hours time w/ no phone use.

Last edited:

Rocky5000100

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Overnight Battery Drain?

Yea that's ridiculous. I'm assuming your battery drain during the days is perfectly normal, as you're ending with 42% left.

I think the only way you'll catch the offending app/process is to check it is in the middle of the night, see if there is a big drop, and look at your apps. Take a battery screenshot just before you go to bed.

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

I have a similar thing happening though not nearly as severe as yours.

I have a 5.0" Pixel and my battery life during the day is great. Getting home from work with about 60% left after being away from home for 11 hours.

I always charge it to 100% before bed. When I wake up in the morning it's down to between 80% and 85%. I know it's going to lose some battery on standby but my previous phones would still be at around 94% or 95%.

I'm going to take a before and after screenshot of the battery use screen next time.

scottfish

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

I tested something out last night.
- I disabled wifi during sleep (the phone's sleep, not mine)
- I set the phone to switch to data when wifi is not present

The result: I used 1% of my battery overnight.

I have a weird wifi setup in my home. I use an Xclaim access point which creates several virtual access points. This way I have separate networks for different devices. I have a feeling my phone was getting confused as to which wifi to connect to, so it was constantly working.

I will report back again tomorrow to share further results.

Rocky5000100

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Overnight Battery Drain? (possible solution)

Yea that could be it.

In my home, I have the 2.4 and 5.0 gHz bands set up, but I only connect my Pixel to the 5.0 gHz band.

I only lose 2-4% during 8 hours of sleeping.

scottfish

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Overnight Battery Drain? (possible solution)

UPDATE:

Fully charged 16 hours ago Sitting at 72% and my phone did a full restart to install the Nougat Beta after I unplugged it.

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

I tested something out last night.
- I disabled wifi during sleep (the phone's sleep, not mine)
- I set the phone to switch to data when wifi is not present

The result: I used 1% of my battery overnight.

This worked for me as well. Only down about 2% after about 7 to 8 hours of standby.

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Well that worked for a while. Now I have a new problem. Even with Wifi set to turn off when the phone is sleeping it is no longer doing so.

Back to square one.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
GSam Battery Monitor Pro may help provide more details for which app(s) or process(es) are consuming resources.