OWNERS: What do you NOT LIKE about your Moto Z Force DROID?

Mustachio

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I love my Z Force, but 2 things about it prevent me from buying another Motorola product.

1. The volume sliders are linked for ringer, alerts, and system. There is no excuse for this, since Samsung separates them just fine. YMMV, but for me, there are plenty of times when I want my ringer to be the only thing that makes a sound.

2. No direct call recording. Again, there is no excuse for this since Samsung allows and supports it. I can't count the times on both hands when I wish I could remember what I've talked about with people. Recording calls is a great way to maintain an audio notepad.

Those are my only complaints about the phone. My next one will be Samsung, probably a Note.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I love my Z Force, but 2 things about it prevent me from buying another Motorola product.

1. The volume sliders are linked for ringer, alerts, and system. There is no excuse for this, since Samsung separates them just fine. YMMV, but for me, there are plenty of times when I want my ringer to be the only thing that makes a sound.

2. No direct call recording. Again, there is no excuse for this since Samsung allows and supports it. I can't count the times on both hands when I wish I could remember what I've talked about with people. Recording calls is a great way to maintain an audio notepad.

Those are my only complaints about the phone. My next one will be Samsung, probably a Note.

I'll repost.

1. Motorola tries to stick with what stock Android is doing. Nexus and Pixel phones don't do this so Motorola doesn't either.

2. Again, same as number 1. Do other flagships do that as well?

Sounds like buying a Motorola was a mistake.

Don Mitchell1

Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
I didn't think I'd like the Moto Z-Force as much as I do. But I do have some complaints, the speaker needs to have a grill over it, I'm in construction and it gets sawdust from being in my pocket. The USB C port needs to be able to be removed without having to return the phone. Make it a true Moto mod and make pieces interchangeable so you can replace them without losing your phone for the day. The screen unbreakable is awesome. So far I own all the mods. Most useful is the speaker and the batteries but all are awesome. I don't like when using the projector you may not be able to use it when streaming a video due to copyright of the video. I'm on my third Moto Z Force. First one would not hold the power cable when plugged in. The second was from the speaker being blown out possibly from debris inside the speaker port. We'll see how this one goes. I wish the Hasselblad camera came with a macro feature or interchangeable lenses. I would like a belt clip that would work with the screen facing your belt, so I could clip on to a belt when mods are Attached. The 360 camera is awesome, I am able to provide clients with a 360 view of progress of jobs. The storage of videos with the 360 camera is lacking, the memory it needs to store the videos needs to be substantially larger in the cloud without having to buy extra cloud space the mod itself should have a micro SD card slot. I eagerly await terabytes of micro SD cards to be available. Yes the phone itself is light and the mods are heavy but there are always sacrifices when asking it to do something that's not the norm. Yes it does get hot while charging. But I have never had the screen go black from sitting on my dashboard to Long. That's just amazing. I just had my Moto Z-Force a year and my warranty is expiring. Let's make the warranty much much longer. If the screen is invincible why not just make the phone lifetime warranty. Buying all these mods and then having to replace the phone is it just a silly way to make more money. Make money on interesting mods and give away the phone. They already pretty much give away computers why does a phone have to cost so much when it's only part of the package. The fingerprint scanner works awesome but it would be nice to be a home screen button or something else. The bezel next to the home screen button could have other features to be determined. Possibly a one-handed Mouse when the screen is large, possibly a small display so you could have notifications when watching a video...etc...I'm hoping for a Qi storage case with its own battery and AC plug, so when the mods are not in use or partially charged I could just put them in the case and they will automatically charge whether the case is plugged in the wall or not.

Last edited:

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Ive owned many smartphones over the years, started with the Droid 1, went to the iPhone for a bit, had the Thunderbolt (bad idea), more Droids, Samsung GS7 Edge, notes, you name it. This and the HTC one M7 are by far the two phones I've been most content with.

The reason I like this phone is because you really have no compromises. Battery life, the camera, the screen, the build quality, call quality... They're all fantastic. Could they all be a tad better, of course! Phones can always be better, but this phone definitely plays with the top smartphones in the game, I'd go as far to say this is still better than the new model, Z2 force. I plan to keep this phone till maybe something comes along that I absolutely have to have. Until then, this phone does everything I need it to. The only real gripe I have is the speaker is weak, and no headphone jack, but those are minor. I'd still recommend the Z force to anyone on Verizon looking for a fun phone to last them a while.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Never got over the "no sound" issue. With no help from Verizon or Motorola, for almost five months, I pulled the trigger and went over to Tmo. Turns out it was a great move for me. IMHO, my S7edge is a much better phone than my Moto Z Force Droid was. I guess the Force wasn't with me. I prefer the Dark Side, anyway.??????

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I mostly agree with your thoughts... I will hang on to mine as well. But the Z2 should have eliminated the big 'chin' and expanded the screen (a.k.a. infinity display). Only other thing I'd want is Bluetooth 5.0

midnitestich

Nov 25, 2017
Visit site
Don't like where the power button is or down volume control. Buttons are right height to be turned off & down when in jeans pocket or slip pocket in my purse. How slippery phone is and that it doesn't have Gorilla glass. Dropped it so many times . Solved that problem bought a Zizo case & it came with a screen protector. The main thing I don't like..actually I HATE is the escalting ringtone. I've had nothing but Motorola phones and have never had this feature with any of them. I want the ability to disable the feature. Had I known it had escalating ringtone I wouldn't have bought it. If this feature is on future Motorola phones, this one will be my last. Have missed calls because of this. Phone rings on callers end 3 to 5 times before it starts ringing for me. Motorola needs to get rid of this or let us disable it.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
The main thing I don't like..actually I HATE is the escalting ringtone. I've had nothing but Motorola phones and have never had this feature with any of them. I want the ability to disable the feature. Had I known it had escalating ringtone I wouldn't have bought it. If this feature is on future Motorola phones, this one will be my last. Have missed calls because of this. Phone rings on callers end 3 to 5 times before it starts ringing for me. Motorola needs to get rid of this or let us disable it.

I believe the escalating ringtone is a "feature" of Marshmallow. I believe it is also on Nougat and Oreo OS. I don't think ditching Motorola will get rid of it.

And, yeah, I hate it too.

jesta192

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I believe the escalating ringtone is a "feature" of Marshmallow. I believe it is also on Nougat and Oreo OS. I don't think ditching Motorola will get rid of it.

And, yeah, I hate it too.

I have a theory that the escalating ringtone is a safety feature. Motorola has been using the earpiece as the sole speaker on its later phones, and I think the software is erring on the side of caution and not risking blowing eardrums by starting out loud. Unfortunately I'm not sure they really optimized this feature (it seems like they could do a better job determining when to activate it and when to bypass it). An option to disable it would be welcome but maybe there is a liability question?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a theory that the escalating ringtone is a safety feature. Motorola has been using the earpiece as the sole speaker on its later phones, and I think the software is erring on the side of caution and not risking blowing eardrums by starting out loud. Unfortunately I'm not sure they really optimized this feature (it seems like they could do a better job determining when to activate it and when to bypass it). An option to disable it would be welcome but maybe there is a liability question?

It is a safety feature.

Sandra White2

May 31, 2018
Visit site
My motto z force isn't working properly. When I receive calls or make calls the person on the other side cannot hear me. They said I sound real low and they can barely hear me. I have the volume turned all the way up. Can you help me solve this problem

Seawitch69

Feb 15, 2016
Visit site
As of early May - coincided wit a Security update - NOT system, the Zoom go very bad. Blurry. In fact a picture of a person at a podium - good light but I was about 20' away ... looks like a caricature drawing!! The results are horrid!!! Yes, the lease is clean

This phone always took great pictures. I have worthless memory photos now. I got the phone replaced after thorough troubleshooting .. when the new phone came - before adding any apps - tried again. Same thing. Tried photo apps... same thing. Junk.

Also, when replying or originating text messages with VZW message+ app, the speech to text stops the microphone about every 5 words more or less.

Motorola has failed me... again. The Droid Force was a replacement for the Turbo 2. That had a known issue with the phone shutting down. When I can afford it... probably going to Samsung. Mainly because of the camera ... I choose a phone by the camera. Motorola is history I'm sad to say

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Motorola has failed me... again. The Droid Force was a replacement for the Turbo 2. That had a known issue with the phone shutting down. When I can afford it... probably going to Samsung. Mainly because of the camera ... I choose a phone by the camera. Motorola is history I'm sad to say

If you're choosing a phone by it's camera and you've been using Motorola phones all this time, you've been missing out on better cameras.

midnitestich

Nov 25, 2017
Visit site
It is a safety feature.

How is this a safety feature? A loud phone will startle someone? If someone doesn't like a loud ringer turn down the volume. How is it going to blow someones eardrum? Please explain that one to me. Do they walk around with their phone at their ear waiting for a call? When my phone is by my ear I'm talking on it, if another call comes in, it doesn't ring, it gives a call waiting tone. I don't understand the logic of forcing us to have to use escalating ringtone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
How is this a safety feature? A loud phone will startle someone? If someone doesn't like a loud ringer turn down the volume. How is it going to blow someones eardrum? Please explain that one to me. Do they walk around with their phone at their ear waiting for a call? When my phone is by my ear I'm talking on it, if another call comes in, it doesn't ring, it gives a call waiting tone. I don't understand the logic of forcing us to have to use escalating ringtone.

I can already think of one scenario:

On a call. Call drops. But - you don't realize it. They call you back and you've still got the phone next to your ear.

sta18ff

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I've had several Motorola phones, starting with the original Droid (I still have it, and it still works!). This is the first phone I wasn't ready to replace immediately at the end of the two year contract. There have been no major advances (other than camera tech) that have made me feel the need to upgrade. My favorite mods are the Car Dock and Crimson Red Style Shell, but I have most of the others as well, they just don't get used as often. I agree that the Google Photos app sucks, but it is easily replaced with the Moto Galley .apk from online. I like the fingerprint scanner, as well as the shatterproof screen (which I've always has covered with tempered glass screen protector). Truthfully there isn't much I don't still like!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred