Phone turns off when I switch on Wi-Fi?

ClairesLove

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
So this is a pretty serious problem, for the last few days (Potentially since I updated to lollipop at the weekend.) My phone restarts as soon as I turn on the wifi, and after restarting stays on for maybe 10 seconds before restarting again. I have those 10 seconds to turn off wifi otherwise it continues to do it. (Potentially indefinitely, though I haven't had that much patience.)

I do have unlimited data, which is an absolute blessing in this situation, but I could be stuck in the mud here. Has anyone else heard of an issue like this, or does anyone have any idea what might be wrong, and how to fix it?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central :)

Try a Cache Partition wipe, good practice after a software update. If that doesn't fix it, get back to us. There are other things that we could suggest.

(Excuse me if this is obvious to you, but be careful not to Factory Reset by mistake....all personal data not backed up would be wiped from the phone. Cache Partition wiping does not cause a loss of personal data.)

Posted via the Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
It may be worth trying Safe Mode, which will determine whether the problem is being caused by a third-party app. If it doesn't occur in Safe Mode, you'll have to identify the app responsible, and uninstall. If Safe Mode makes no difference, it's not that.

Also, an SD card, if you are using one, can cause trouble if corrupt...you could test that by unmounting and removing.

If still no go, get back to us.

Posted via the Android Central App

ClairesLove

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
No luck. It's still doing it. SD out, and checked in safe mode too. Might it be something wrong with the hardware, as my brother thinks?

Bonus: the doorbell went, and I forgot about my phone, and came back to it 10 minutes later, and it's still turning on and off every 15secs or so, so now I know it's not something that just sorts itself out.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
This is a long shot but it won't hurt trying :)

I remember reading that some people had problems with the Smart Mode and Smart Switch. Take a look in the settings and switch them off just on case.

ClairesLove

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean by smart mode/smart switch. I doubt you mean the content transfer app that samsung uses, and I also don't have it installed.

Do you mean the network switch option? In which case, I've actually tried turning on wifi with that toggled on and off, and it seems to make no difference. It didn't hurt to try though, you're right.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
My idea was to switch off any possible WiFi optimiser in your phone. There's the stock one in your settings - WiFi - advanced. Some Samsung phones come with an special feature and even some carriers implement a different one. Most of them are called Smart something and I've read people having problems with all of them.

ClairesLove

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, unfortunately I'm not sure that one makes a difference. Should I just be taking it down to a shop?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-08-17-02-16.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-08-17-02-16.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 7

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Before taking it to the shop make sure you have a backup of everything you want to keep. Most likely they will try a factory reset. Being directly related to the WiFi they'll first assume that is a software problem.

Remove the battery for a minute or so and see if that helps. Check there's not any bulge in it. The best way to do that is to put it on a flat surface and spin it. Try with a spare one if you have any.

judysanhz

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Hi. I also own a j7 and everytime i try to use my hotspot feature on my phone or use my wifi, It shuts itself off quickly or i get the “unable to establish a wireless data connection “EHRPD 9” is there anyway i can fix this?:)

Pranay Tirpude

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
So this is a pretty serious problem, for the last few days (Potentially since I updated to lollipop at the weekend.) My phone restarts as soon as I turn on the wifi, and after restarting stays on for maybe 10 seconds before restarting again. I have those 10 seconds to turn off wifi otherwise it continues to do it. (Potentially indefinitely, though I haven't had that much patience.)

I do have unlimited data, which is an absolute blessing in this situation, but I could be stuck in the mud here. Has anyone else heard of an issue like this, or does anyone have any idea what might be wrong, and how to fix it?

I too have the same problem bro and still havent found any solution .

Charis Kimbeki

Jul 15, 2020
Visit site
Same here!! It works fine in safe mode but when I switch out of safe mode it shuts down when I switch on my WiFi. I don't want to continue on rebooting my phone like every week or month, you know?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If it doesn't happen in Safe Mode, then something you installed is causing the problem. You may have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem goes away.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1