Photon and Evo 3d

nextjeter2

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Hello I am going to purchase one or the other and cannot get galaxy s2 because it is after the etf change which I do not want. I was looking for imput for people who have used both and what you feel are the pros and cons. Also how do you feel the photon screen is after a couple days of use. It looked kinda grainy in the store but maybe I could get used to it

scoobdude

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
screen is much better than the nexus s in regards to the pentile arrangement. Mostly because of the higher resolution.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
PenTile screens use a different arrangement for the pixels than the standard RGB stripe displays. Here's some information that explains it better than I could (link), but the basic jist is PenTile screens can show an equivalent brightness and higher resolution for less power. However, due to the pixel arrangement, the screen can look grainy to some people, as if you're looking at it through a screen door. I will say the first time I looked at the Photon's screen I was struck by this pixelated effect, but each time I looked I noticed it less. Now, having owned the Photon for two weeks, it barely registers unless I really stop and stare.

So yes, you can get used to it if you noticed the pixels at first, but before you buy the Photon go take a look at it over the course of a couple days and see what you think.

nextjeter2

May 31, 2010
Visit site
That is great info thanks so I will probably pick up the photon try it for a week and if I don't get used to it just switch it out for 3d

boggs3010#AC

Banned
May 17, 2010
Visit site
You can get the galaxy II and still have an etf of 200.00. Just start a contract before 09/09/2011 and then swap to the galaxy II. I own both phones and I like both phones a lot for different reasons. The 3d is my fav, I enjoy that aspect and no other Sprint phone can deliver that.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Both great phones... I like that the photon has an hdmi output. I like that it has 16 gig built-in memory. It's a snappy phone. I like the EVO 3d as well. The screen looks better imo but at the same time, the photon screen is beautiful just not to my liking... EVO comes with an 8 gb sdcard. The sdcard is not a deal breaker and they are both great phones. It seems the EVO out performs the photon, which is debatable. However, I like that HTC supports its customers customizing their phones by providing the unlocked bootloaders, etc. There are pros and cons to each phone. Ultimately it was the HTC for me, for others it may be different. Depends on the owner...
It also seems that anyone with a photon is trying to trade it for an EVO. Originally I had a little buyers remorse because of having no kickstand and no hdmi out but after having the phone for three days, I don't regret my decision at all.
My recommendation? Ask around. Read reviews (sprint.com also has some good user reviews). Go into the store and hold them. Then make your decision. Good luck!

RBrown9180

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Both great phones... I like that the photon has an hdmi output. I like that it has 16 gig built-in memory. It's a snappy phone. I like the EVO 3d as well. The screen looks better imo but at the same time, the photon screen is beautiful just not to my liking... EVO comes with an 8 gb sdcard. The sdcard is not a deal breaker and they are both great phones. It seems the EVO out performs the photon, which is debatable. However, I like that HTC supports its customers customizing their phones by providing the unlocked bootloaders, etc. There are pros and cons to each phone. Ultimately it was the HTC for me, for others it may be different. Depends on the owner...
It also seems that anyone with a photon is trying to trade it for an EVO. Originally I had a little buyers remorse because of having no kickstand and no hdmi out but after having the phone for three days, I don't regret my decision at all.
My recommendation? Ask around. Read reviews (sprint.com also has some good user reviews). Go into the store and hold them. Then make your decision. Good luck!

I haven't read, seen or heard a single person trying or wanting to trade their photon for an evo 3d. I think you are a little off base with that statement.

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site

Just purchased my Photon but have researched both phones since their unveiling. I have no idea where you are seeing Photon people trying to trade it for an Evo 3d. I see Photon people taking it back to wait for the SGS2, but not the Evo3d.

Both are great phones, in different ways and the Epic Touch will add a third. All will have their strengths and weaknesses, but what a killer lineup from Sprint.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I haven't read, seen or heard a single person trying or wanting to trade their photon for an evo 3d. I think you are a little off base with that statement.
How often do you trade or talk to people that own a photon? I try to stay aware to all of the current makes and models and what people are doing with them. It usually gives a good idea of the quality,reliability, and functionality of a product... Craigslist for example. Every post for a photon around here is to trade for an EVO 3d... I don't simply base my decision on this. I also read reviews, ask current owners, and developers their opinions. Take sprint.com for example. It's probably the largest base of owners that will own the same phone as you. Read the reviews for yourself. They reflect poorly on the photon and more highly upon the EVO 3d. The EVO 3d is currently the highest rated phone from sprint (that I know of)
Just purchased my Photon but have researched both phones since their unveiling. I have no idea where you are seeing Photon people trying to trade it for an Evo 3d. I see Photon people taking it back to wait for the SGS2, but not the Evo3d.

Both are great phones, in different ways and the Epic Touch will add a third. All will have their strengths and weaknesses, but what a killer lineup from Sprint.
Read response above. And I gave a fair recommendation. I understand that this is the photon section of the forum and some people would be partial.
Read two responses above.

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
It's not a matter of being partial. I owned the 3VO first. For the most part, I liked it. Watching Green Hornet in 3D was AMAZING, loved Sense 3.0 and the HTC user community is a cut above. However, the call quality/volume & speakerphone quality/volume were unbearable for me and my clients. Personally, I believe a phone must excel at being a phone first and multimedia device second. The 3VO had it backwards. The quality of the Photon's screen is debatable depending if you can see the "screen door effect" or not (fortunately, I have to look really hard at mine and at just the right angle to see it) but the call quality and volume of the earpiece and speakerphone are 2nd to NONE (read all of the reviews). Therefore, the Photon serves as a much better phone for me. I am a businessman and call quality is my number one priority plus the Photon's signal is stronger and the phone seems a lot snappier with no lag.

Bottom line: Both phones are excellent.
Your choice depends on which features you consider to be important. (However, I've seen more posts about trading in the 3VO for the Photon vs. the other way around.) Unfortunately, the advertising for the Photon pales in comparison to that for the 3VO!

Last edited:

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
How often do you trade or talk to people that own a photon? I try to stay aware to all of the current makes and models and what people are doing with them. It usually gives a good idea of the quality,reliability, and functionality of a product... Craigslist for example. Every post for a photon around here is to trade for an EVO 3d... I don't simply base my decision on this. I also read reviews, ask current owners, and developers their opinions. Take sprint.com for example. It's probably the largest base of owners that will own the same phone as you. Read the reviews for yourself. They reflect poorly on the photon and more highly upon the EVO 3d. The EVO 3d is currently the highest rated phone from sprint (that I know of)

Read response above. And I gave a fair recommendation. I understand that this is the photon section of the forum and some people would be partial.

Read two responses above.

People who bought the Photon on release day could return it until 2 days ago, so I guess Craig's list has been busy the last 2 days.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
People who bought the Photon on release day could return it until 2 days ago, so I guess Craig's list has been busy the last 2 days.

You are not adding to the discussion. If you want to argue, this is not the forum. If you would like to offer advice or assistance it is encouraged.

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
You are not adding to the discussion. If you want to argue, this is not the forum. If you would like to offer advice or assistance it is encouraged.

I'm not adding to it? Your posts are clearly agenda driven and offer no points as to why the Photon falls short.

The Craig's list comment was in response to yours that made no sense since the return window just expired. I just wanted to catch you in a lie, which I did.

In my opinion:

Photon:
Better Radios
Better Battery Life
Better call Quality
Better Speaker
Better Build Quality
Price (from Best Buy)

3VO
Better UI (sense 3.0)
3D (for some, I wasn't a fan, but a plus for some)
Unlocked Bootloaders from HTC (could be debatable since this site has state they may not be unlocked enough for the devs)
Better range of accessories due to the large advertising push and sales

I am not bashing the 3VO, its a good phone, would have bought it if the Photon did not come out. Both Phones reviewed very well.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm not adding to it? Your posts are clearly agenda driven and offer no points as to why the Photon falls short.

The Craig's list comment was in response to yours that made no sense since the return window just expired. I just wanted to catch you in a lie, which I did.

In my opinion:

Photon:
Better Radios
Better Battery Life
Better call Quality
Better Speaker
Better Build Quality
Price (from Best Buy)

3VO
Better UI (sense 3.0)
3D (for some, I wasn't a fan, but a plus for some)
Unlocked Bootloaders from HTC (could be debatable since this site has state they may not be unlocked enough for the devs)
Better range of accessories due to the large advertising push and sales

I am not bashing the 3VO, its a good phone, would have bought it if the Photon did not come out. Both Phones reviewed very well.
I hadn't come here to offend anyone. I also have not attacked anyone. I also never said anything about a return window. You are clearly misunderstanding my statements or making the wrong assumption. Your personal attacks are noted and have been forwarded to the moderators. Good luck finding all the "liars". Calling someone names is childish and I don't come on the forum to play childish games, nor do I come with an "agenda".

nextjeter2

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I ended up playing with the photon for about an hour (iv had previous time with the 3vo) and I'm with u guys who say it is even both are amazing choices. There is really no my phone is better then your phone here it is more what is important. For some it will be better call quality on photon for ne it happend to b the photon screen my vision could not adjust. I am in no way saying its a bad phone its just not the phone for me and it is what makes having choices great. I could have loved either but the EVO 3d won me over for others the photon will win. End of the day both awesome. O and on a side note the photon cut sides look so sick

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
His point is that on craigslist there is no point in trading a Photon for a used Evo 3D. The seller could have easily return the Photon or exchange it for the Evo 3D (new) at a Sprint store. Hence your story about people on craigslist wanting to trade a Photon for a used Evo 3d makes no sense. Hence he called you a liar.

Reactions: sjamie