pinkish/purplish hue at the top of the display?

oshogg

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I see a distinct pinkish/purplish hue at the top of the display. This is very visible on webpages with white background and black text (or in e-reader apps which black text on white background). The white balance at the bottom of the screen is very different than the white balance at the top of the screen.

I tried putting display in various different mode but the hue stays there consistently.

Does anyone else see this? If not, I may just have a defective piece and need to take it back.

Thanks,
Osho

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I had this problem with the first S3 I owned (pink hue on the top 1/8 of the display) and got a rash of replacements after that with areas of white discoloration or distinct brightness variations at different parts of the screen. Please, Samsung, don't do it to me again if I buy this phone!

I digress... You should probably swap it out if it bothers you (as it would me) because it is definitely a defect. Just make sure you check out the screen using a screen test app before you get too far away from the store.

oshogg

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I had this problem with the first S3 I owned (pink hue on the top 1/8 of the display) and got a rash of replacements after that with areas of white discoloration or distinct brightness variations at different parts of the screen. Please, Samsung, don't do it to me again if I buy this phone!

I digress... You should probably swap it out if it bothers you (as it would me) because it is definitely a defect. Just make sure you check out the screen using a screen test app before you get too far away from the store.

Thanks. I previously had HTC ONE X and the display whiteness was amazing on that one. Maybe I am more sensitive to white balance and screen uniformity. Anyways, I will go and get a replacement.

Osho

Rtbar1

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a pink tint on the bottom of my screen, compared to another S4 I have it is very noticeable... of course the guy at the sprint store kept telling me nothing was wrong, even after the tech confirmed the pink hue as well as the screen being dull. I wonder if I should wait until the end of my 14 days to return in case they get a better batch without this issue. I don't want to return it only to have the same thing happen again.

Newtoandroid99

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I defiantly notice the settings screen blue bars blur when you fast scroll. Its not a huge deal yet, i have yet to try out video. I have not seen any pink tint issues at the top or bottom of my screen. If I did I would take my phone back in within the 12 days I have left.

oshogg

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the responses. I went to the AT&T store back today and to their credit, they did an exchange right away without any hassle. I compared the new and the old phone displays side-by-side : it was a day and night difference. So, there definitely seems to be very low quality control (at least on the displays) at Samsung manufacturing.

Osho

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the responses. I went to the AT&T store back today and to their credit, they did an exchange right away without any hassle. I compared the new and the old phone displays side-by-side : it was a day and night difference. So, there definitely seems to be very low quality control (at least on the displays) at Samsung manufacturing.

Osho

I think it's a weak point with most manufacturers.

Rtbar1

May 17, 2010
Visit site
30igp7a.jpg

5uk7ph.jpg

13yie1l.jpg

phzacarin

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a similar issue Rtbar1 has, but at the top of the screen. It's a bit pinkish with white background, but the major difference is noticed with gray background, when a darker hue appears at the top of the screen. Very easy to see in the Play Store as the background is kinda gray and with apps like PowerAmp.
I'm in my second GS4, the first was also with that issue, but much more noticeable. Got another one with a lot of hassle at the carrier (in Brazil) because the saleswoman allegely wasn't seeing any problem at all (even with the app Screen Test). If it wasn't for the manager, I'd have left the store with the same unit. Either way, it came with the same problem, but slightly less, and I don't think it is a batch issue because my brother got one the same day and it's GS4 screen is perfect.
I'm in serious doubt if I try to take it to Samsung to attempt a warranty trade-in, as they can take a long time to 'fix' it. But it's definitely something that bugs me.

Or I'm too picky regarding that stuff or the quality control is pure crap. I'm staying with the second option.

dwang

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
my tmobile galaxy s4 has the pinkish tint at the bottom of the screen. Its pretty noticable with a grey background.

I'm debating whether to exchange it. This is actually my 2nd exchange as the first one had faint vertical lines running up and down the screen.

Quality control on these phones are pretty bad and whats the guarantee that the 3rd unit won't have some other issue.

Mahmoud Lasheen

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I frikkin have this annoying tint and it's driving me crazy!!!! I exchanged 4 frikkin phones and the 4 has this problem either the tint is up or down and it's darker in brightness .. Along the annoying heating and flash doesn't work sometimes because cell phone is too hot to enable flash... Seriously the worst phone i've got so far i had note 2 and i was happy.... I'm from egypt and i think most of the bad display will be made in vietnam.... Indonesia manufacturing is amazing i had the note 2 was indonesia and never had problems//

spect80

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem (GT-I9506 - made in Vietnam). I took for warranty service, they replaced the front panel, the error remained, but it seems less.
I took back again but they told me, the measured values are in the normal range, and don't replace it again. Great..
Now i have a premium phone with a low quality display. Before this phone i had an I9500. It has not any display problem.

Vangelo

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Not happy with my new Note 4. I am particularly sensitive to this issue & also rejected Kindle Paperwhite for this reason.
This is the first mobile phone I have had that suffers from this.
Note4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord