Pixel 2/2 XL - December Update (OTA) 12/5

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I signed on to Beta a couple of days ago, but still no update. I may just sideload both the December patch and 8.1 update. Incidentally, my Nexus 6P is also on Beta, has 8.1 but not the production version yet.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
After the update to 8.1, the Droid Info app is still showing that I only have 8 CPU cores.
How do we detect the Pixel Visual Core processor that is supposedly embedded in the phone now that it is activated?

You need to turn it on in developer mode

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Pixel 2XL from Google Store. Still waiting for 8.1

Nope. If I join beta do they now send the final build

Not sure to be honest. I would personally go down the side load route versus joining / leaving beta route. Just in case anything went wonky it wouldn't want to factory reset.

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

Not sure to be honest. I would personally go down the side load route versus joining / leaving beta route. Just in case anything went wonky it wouldn't want to factory reset.

Don't I have to root to do that?

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

Somehow I got updated to 8.1. As stated, I got the Dec patch yesterday, and was still 8.0 after install. How did I get advanced without approving/accepting the update?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Somehow I got updated to 8.1. As stated, I got the Dec patch yesterday, and was still 8.0 after install. How did I get advanced without approving/accepting the update?

No idea to be honest.

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Still on 8.0 here, talked to google today they told me it was up to my carrier but one of the reasons I purchased from Google Store was to get updates immediately. That no longer applies I guess.

KaneA

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
So I finally got the damn notification for the update! :D
But now i'm kinda hesitant about downloading due to all these issues that are out there.
Question, to anybody that has these common issues, is it worth it to gamble and live with some issues till they're fixed or wait? (not sure if waiting will do anything since it's ready to download now)

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Weird thing for me. I mentioned earlier that I had decided to join the Beta program on the hopes of getting 8.1 sooner. After a couple of days, I then decided today that I'll unenroll form the program and sideload instead. So I unenroll, and moments later, I get a notification for TWO updates (December patch and 8.1). Maybe enrolling and unenrolling is the way to go?!

So I finally got the damn notification for the update! :D
But now i'm kinda hesitant about downloading due to all these issues that are out there.
Question, to anybody that has these common issues, is it worth it to gamble and live with some issues till they're fixed or wait? (not sure if waiting will do anything since it's ready to download now)

I did see that, but went ahead and downloaded anyways. So far (knock on wood), seems to be draining slowly. YMMV, but your call on if you want to update yours at this point.

doorwindowtim

Nov 26, 2017
Visit site
I get staggering the update, but the security patch? Interesting. Why did I (and probably many other consumers) have the impression that buying from google was like buying from apple? In regards to patches/updates etc. there seems to have been a bit of a *message* that the two were comparable in that regard.

Am I or did I get it wrong?

KaneA

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
I did see that, but went ahead and downloaded anyways. So far (knock on wood), seems to be draining slowly. YMMV, but your call on if you want to update yours at this point.

I went and pushed the button!
(Downloading now) knock on wood as well. haha

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I get staggering the update, but the security patch? Interesting. Why did I (and probably many other consumers) have the impression that buying from google was like buying from apple? In regards to patches/updates etc. there seems to have been a bit of a *message* that the two were comparable in that regard.

That was my impression as well. I thought I read that in a Google release but maybe not.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Google put a thing in to pull the update right away when you hit "Check for updates" -- so then it will be like Apple.

They just broke that piece w/ a recent Google Play Services update. Once it is fixed we can all get the update when we hit that button.