Plastic Covering Galaxy S4 Camera Lens?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
+1 Thanks for posting. I had to remove my Otterbox Defender case and then use my finger nail to remove it.

Sent Via My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Once I got my fingernail under it, it just kind of popped right off. I'm still mystified by it, though -- with the hole in the middle, it shoudn't really interfere with photo quality, no? Leaving aside the possibility of it accumulating pocket crud, of course.

rs619

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Once I got my fingernail under it, it just kind of popped right off. I'm still mystified by it, though -- with the hole in the middle, it shoudn't really interfere with photo quality, no? Leaving aside the possibility of it accumulating pocket crud, of course.

that's what I was thinking?? there's a hole so why would it affect the quality of the camera??

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I tried and try to peel it off via the fingernail method and never could get an edge to pull up. Looks like I'm going to use the tape method now!

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Hey all.

I received my AT&T Galaxy S4 on Friday and love it so far. Only problem I had with it is I've noticed that on the camera lens there seems to be a piece of plastic on it with a circular cutout for the "eye" of the camera (sorry don't know anything about camera lingo lol).

If I touch the camera lens it makes a sound like there is indeed a plastic piece on top it. I've removed the back cover and tried running my fingernail across the lens to see if I could get the plastic piece to come off but it seems to be part of the lens itself.

This wouldn't normally bother me except that there are two small piece of hair and some dust that have gotten underneath this plastic. Is this plastic removeable or is this the actual design of the camera lens?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

yea but my lens cover has a hole cut out for the actual lens...so that part isn't covered

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I got mine off by removing the back cover and being a little rough with it. Just hooked a fingernail and got it off. I'm attaching a picture so you can see what it looks like.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...Eoc/OtXbCQzJw6U/w623-h831/20130429_140112.jpg

Thank you so much to OP for starting this thread!

OMG, i never thought to google this but it was driving me NUTZ!! Leave it to my fav website to have a thread about it. I CANNOT for the life of me get mine off, i even took an Xact-o knive to it to try to lift it in that one area that seems a teeny bit "lifted" by the middle. (u wanna talk scarey, try taking the sharpest blade u can find to ur brandy new phone's camera lens, thats REAL Fear Factor material...lol

The SAME noise convinced me there HAD to be plastic on it, becuz almost out of the box mine had a scratch on it. Look at it now, a gazillion scratches (most made by me trying to lift the plastic)

l
lens_zps078a7156.jpg

i think mine is the ONE phone that has the "permanent plastic" cuz that is NOT coming off, no way, no how : (

(We really shouldn't let this get out, i can hear ALL the haters now)... "Samsung sucks, there's plastic on the lens that's almost IMPOSSIBLE to get off...." lol

BTC

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
tried that, NO GO...that's why i was convinced (before reading this thread) that maybe it wasn't protective plastic...... like i said, mine just WILL NOT remove... i know if i hook the right sharp object it will, but i can just see me damaging the lense trying, i eff things like that up ALL THE TIME! It doesn't seem to be bothering anything, maybe one day an edge will curl and "voila!"

BTC

Calidoc

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Are we really supposed to be removing it? Or is it meant to stay on? When I bought my S4 at the ATT store I noticed it and asked them about it. The guy tried peeling it off and couldn't - so we assumed it was meant to stay on.

I doubt it is rated for high optical clarity. I'd take it off.

I have no idea if it's supposed to come off, but it without question does not affect the camera in any way. It doesn't cover the lens at all. I just don't want to scratch the glass over the lens trying to get the plastic off.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
OMFG. After a few minutes trying to take it off I wish I never saw this thread. :-!

At one point, I was like "**** it, who cares just leave it" but knowing it's there I had too. *sigh*

Took the cover off again, got pissed off. I took a deep breath, thought about it...I lick my finger and a few seconds later it slid off.

Thanks a lot! LOL

EDIT: I was so focus on it and didn't scroll down and saw the tape.

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
LOL I never even realized there was some plastic over it...I am gonna leave it on

Amen brother. Same here. If you look at the lens, none of the plastic is actually covering the part that captures the image, so mine is staying on. +1

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

iamfuze

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
LOL I never even realized there was some plastic over it...I am gonna leave it on

Speaking from experience, I had left a similar plastic cover on a previous phone for a couple of weeks until it came off by itself. By that time, it had left a residue on the phone in the shape of the cover that was very difficult to remove. Now I make it a priority to remove all plastics on new phones.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

blaneusmc

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I used a small needle to take it off mine. That thing was really stuck on there. Didn't affect camera quality, but looked bad on the back of my phone

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogerinsg99