Plastic Covering Galaxy S4 Camera Lens?

takehiro12

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
oh ok..so it doesn't actually become an issue until lint and dust gets in the way of the actual lens opening? Thanks

It's an aesthetic issue. Mine was looking crummy after having the phone just a few days, it looked like plastic to me but I couldn't be sure which led me to this thread. Took the back cover off, applied a piece of scotch tape and it comes right up. Looks so much better now. :)

jessesmomma2013

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
The plastic does come off. My fiance got his from verizon amd saw scratches so took it back amd they told him it was on the plastic and you just have to take it off. Its meant to prrotect the lense during shipping.

ench18

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Taking off the small plastic on the back camera lens itself is a big improvement for taking great pics. I used tweezers to take mine off. LOL

ctychick

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm so confused. When I got my camera about 2 months ago, I removed a donut-shaped piece of plastic around the lens. I did not have to remove the back cover to do this, so is there some other piece that I should be removing to get better pix? I can't get a single good shot out of this camera and I've played with all the settings, alternative apps, etc. Thanks

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm so confused. When I got my camera about 2 months ago, I removed a donut-shaped piece of plastic around the lens. I did not have to remove the back cover to do this, so is there some other piece that I should be removing to get better pix? I can't get a single good shot out of this camera and I've played with all the settings, alternative apps, etc. Thanks

The protective plastic you already removed is all there is. It has nothing to do with quality images. There are two main factors that are likely to be the cause of poor images from your phone camera:
1) The camera is likely to select a relatively slow shutter speed, which means that any movement of the phone or whatever you're taking a picture of can cause motion blur in your picture. You need a lot of light to get the camera to use a faster shutter speed. One way to do this is to force the flash to fire, if you're close enough to the subject for the flash to illuminate it. Another way to get a faster shutter speed is to use the Sports shooting mode. Finally, you can manually increase the ISO to get a faster shutter speed. The faster the shutter speed, the more likely you'll get a sharp picture. Also, be careful to hold the phone as steadily as you can when taking a picture; if possible, rest it on a stable surface to make sure it doesn't move.
2) The camera is using a high ISO that it's selecting automatically because the scene is not brightly lit. A high ISO will mean a noisy, grainy picture.

Also, are you making sure the camera is focused on the subject of your picture before you press the shutter button? Make sure it shows a green square on the subject before taking the picture; you can focus by tapping the screen where you want the camera to focus.

mrslevar

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
THANKS for this post... just got new phone and there was scratch on lens... we were planning to return today but I decided to google question first and now we know ... remove plastic cover. Thanks for the tips!

Con Georgiadis

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
The protective plastic you already removed is all there is. It has nothing to do with quality images. There are two main factors that are likely to be the cause of poor images from your phone camera:
1) The camera is likely to select a relatively slow shutter speed, which means that any movement of the phone or whatever you're taking a picture of can cause motion blur in your picture. You need a lot of light to get the camera to use a faster shutter speed. One way to do this is to force the flash to fire, if you're close enough to the subject for the flash to illuminate it. Another way to get a faster shutter speed is to use the Sports shooting mode. Finally, you can manually increase the ISO to get a faster shutter speed. The faster the shutter speed, the more likely you'll get a sharp picture. Also, be careful to hold the phone as steadily as you can when taking a picture; if possible, rest it on a stable surface to make sure it doesn't move.
2) The camera is using a high ISO that it's selecting automatically because the scene is not brightly lit. A high ISO will mean a noisy, grainy picture.

Also, are you making sure the camera is focused on the subject of your picture before you press the shutter button? Make sure it shows a green square on the subject before taking the picture; you can focus by tapping the screen where you want the camera to focus.

Daylight photos are outstanding.the problem is in low light scenarios.
night mode selects a slow shutter speed and the absence of OIS result in blurry photos.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Daylight photos are outstanding.the problem is in low light scenarios.
night mode selects a slow shutter speed and the absence of OIS result in blurry photos.
I've also found it selects a slow shutter speed in normal shooting mode (auto) with moderately bright light, such as artificial light indoors. It will often select 1/30 sec. or slower, and, because the phone is not ergonomically designed for handheld camera use, motion blur is often going to be present.

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
It is meant to come off, I ask Samsung by the my galaxy app and they said take it off, if you download the my galaxy app and ask them they will tell you the same.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia