Plastic Covering Galaxy S4 Camera Lens?

ewyatt1

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't get it! How can some say they get better (closeup) pics with the protective film removed when the actual camera lens uses the hole (doughnut hole around the plastic) to take the pic? Yes, I saw some sample pics, but..... fishy??

Last edited:

Glich

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Thank you you just saved me mailing in my phone I ha a ring of white dust around lense (was't harming photos) i called samsung and they said it was defecetive and i was going to have to mail it in. it was the on the now removed sticker.

dolts007

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Would this effect picture quality at all? I took some last night of the sun set and wasn't very impressed.

next tiime you do a sunset shot, try and change the white balance to cloudy as it retains the warm colours. I do that with my DSLR rather than rely on the Auto WB.

Max Pascoe

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I know how u feel! My Gs4 makes a popping when I put my finger over it - I have dust and other small hairs from
Leaving it on the table, I am so annoyed about this, also my lens looks rather scratched I might need to replace it.

SlickSpur

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Back cover removal let me get the plastic off first try. I'm sure if I left it on I would have ran into the same problems a lot of you did. Great tip!

Joeysmummy

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Just to clarify that we are all talking about the same thing, this is a piece of plastic film put on to protect the camera lens during storage and shipping. Do not try and remove the lens cover which I think is glass.

Posted via Android Central App

ashleystone

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I leave mine too...since the light is supposed to enter via the central hole..quality of pic probably won't be affected.
I'll just leave it as a kind of protection... peel it off when i can't bear with it..

whbonney

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Got my S4 yesterday,,,was in my pocket most of the day yesterday and today while I was out looking some accessories for the phone.. Was going to take a pic and noticed a lot of lint under the plastic around the lens, with one piece long enough to be directly in the path of the lens....was pretty pissed until I got home and found this thread... for those who want to leave it on, just remember that you will get a build up(mine was in 1 day) under that piece of plastic and u may suddenly say, hey, that would make a great looking pic, take your phone out, shoot some shots, go to look at the pics and find that one long piece of hair, lint or whatever is stuck under that piece of plastic and extending out over the actual camera lens has ruined your perfect shot....just saying....lol,,,oh, and it took me about 10 seconds to remove it. I just probed along the edge until I found a part of the plastic hanging over a bit farther...came right off.

Stu Reekie

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I just took my S4 to an AT&T service center for this very issue. They removed the plastic and confirmed that is was only for protection during shipping. All is now well.

TreeSpooner

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Stupid question, but how can I tell if there is plastic on mine? I'm scared to start digging my nails in there if there isn't. It just feels smooth to me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Invisobel

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I noticed mine when I touched it and it "crackled" like hard plastic. You should be able to see it if you leave a fingerprint on the camera. It should look like glass in the center and less defined on the plastic cover.

ericblackdv

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for starting this thread, and for all of the replies. I got my Samsung GS4 3 days ago and noticed the "popping" sound around the plastic on the lens today. A quick googling led me here. I just popped the back cover off and removed the plastic. Easy enough.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
can someone explain why its necessary to remove the plastic lens cover? there is a hole so the actual lens isn't covered.....the covering just protects the rest of it...

Othe12sid3

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
can someone explain why its necessary to remove the plastic lens cover? there is a hole so the actual lens isn't covered.....the covering just protects the rest of it...
Because gunk gets stuck in it and after a certain point may actually hurt more than help the phone. Mine had pocket lint and dust starting to collect around it before I finally decided to take it off. It's not necessary though, really up to you.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Because gunk gets stuck in it and after a certain point may actually hurt more than help the phone. Mine had pocket lint and dust starting to collect around it before I finally decided to take it off. It's not necessary though, really up to you.
oh ok..so it doesn't actually become an issue until lint and dust gets in the way of the actual lens opening? Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201