Please help, phone messed up...

eqonix

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Well I rooted my phone because it sounded cool and I wanted to play around with the phone. I rooted it, everything was fine until I downloaded an app. I downloaded it and reset the phone. Then it happened :(. When I try and boot the phone up it just stays on the "X" screen, doesn't do anything.

I do the "hold the volume buttons and power button", I try going into recovery mode but i just get the little android person and an "!" above it.

Nothing seems to be working.. please help guys, I just got this phone brand new.

(I was also getting the call problem, they could hear me but I couldn't hear them, it kept locking the phone and wouldn't unlock)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: Please help, phone f*cked up...

First of all dont worry, your phone is not bricked. What app was it that you downloaded?

Looks like you didn't install a custom recovery when you rooted your phone. The android with the red exclamation mark is the stock recovery. If you press the volume up button and the power button at the same time while on that screen you should get additional options. This is tricky and might take you a few tries. I cant remember how stock recovery looks but if there is a wipe cache and wipe dalvik cache option then wipe them two. If there isn't or it doesn't work just reply back here.

eqonix

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

First of all dont worry, your phone is not bricked. What app was it that you downloaded?

Looks like you didn't install a custom recovery when you rooted your phone. The android with the red exclamation mark is the stock recovery. If you press the volume up button and the power button at the same time while on that screen you should get additional options. This is tricky and might take you a few tries. I cant remember how stock recovery looks but if there is a wipe cache and wipe dalvik cache option then wipe them two. If there isn't or it doesn't work just reply back here.

I cant really remember, it was one that changes your colour of your background and text and stuff, can't really remember :(. Ok I've tried what you said, get onto the android with the exclamation mark and press volume up and power button, it just turns the phone off ;S... I've tried it 5 times.

Last edited:

eqonix

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

How did you root your phone?

Have you looked at WugFresh's Nexus Root Toolkit? There are many options in there. Google it up and see, if you've not already.

Here's a guide to Factory Reset: How to Factory Reset Your Android Phone or Tablet When It Won?t Boot for when things are really borked.

when i plug my phone into my computer i don't even get a partition that comes up. I can't factory reset it either, I've searched google and youtube and I can't find anything.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

How did you root your phone?

Have you looked at WugFresh's Nexus Root Toolkit? There are many options in there. Google it up and see, if you've not already.

Here's a guide to Factory Reset: How to Factory Reset Your Android Phone or Tablet When It Won?t Boot for when things are really borked.

Easiest way to fix this is using Wugs toolkit. Go to rootzwiki and download it. Only other way is to use ADB but that can be tricky to a beginner. You'll probably have to flash back to stock out of the box. This is why it is important to make backups before changing anything that requires root or flashing Roms.
Do go get Wugs, follow the instructions and get your phone working again. Then send wug a $5 donation for saving your a**.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

when i plug my phone into my computer i don't even get a partition that comes up. I can't factory reset it either, I've searched google and youtube and I can't find anything.

On Wugs toolkit there is a option for your phone not booting. Choose that and it will do everything for you.

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

You have to try and get into that menu. Like I said its tricky so its normal for you to accidently shut your phone off

eqonix

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

Easiest way to fix this is using Wugs toolkit. Go to rootzwiki and download it. Only other way is to use ADB but that can be tricky to a beginner. You'll probably have to flash back to stock out of the box. This is why it is important to make backups before changing anything that requires root or flashing Roms.
Do go get Wugs, follow the instructions and get your phone working again. Then send wug a $5 donation for saving your a**.

How do I do that tho?

My phone doesn't connect to the computer...

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

OP.. Use my Factory Image Restore guide in the Rooting section :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

eqonix

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

You have to try and get into that menu. Like I said its tricky so its normal for you to accidently shut your phone off
Ok I got into it. I did the " wipe data/factory reset" but it just does the same thing, stays in the bootloop and stays on the "x" :(

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

What about wiping cache? If that doesn't work then you need to follow 2defmouze's guide. The phone wont pop up as a portable device but it should still connect.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

Go here and download Wugs.

http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

Then after you install it you'll have to go through the drivers set up. Then after that is done select device not booting/boot looping. Then click flash to stock. There are better instructions within the program but it is a lifesaver.

I recommend though once your phone is fixed, read some of 2defmouze's threads on rooting/unlocking/and using ADB if you haven't already.

eqonix

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

Go here and download Wugs.

Nexus Root Toolkit v1.6.3 | WugFresh

Then after you install it you'll have to go through the drivers set up. Then after that is done select device not booting/boot looping. Then click flash to stock. There are better instructions within the program but it is a lifesaver.

I recommend though once your phone is fixed, read some of 2defmouze's threads on rooting/unlocking/and using ADB if you haven't already.

thats the toolkit i used to root my phone, I've already tried that, it isn't working because it isn't picking up my phone when i connect it to the computer :(.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

thats the toolkit i used to root my phone, I've already tried that, it isn't working because it isn't picking up my phone when i connect it to the computer :(.

I'm no where near my computer to help step by step but your only choice might be to follow 2defs restore thread.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=2312326

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

Have you tried wiping cache like I said?

Go into bootloader on your phone (volume up, volume down and power)
Connect phone to computer
Go to toolkit and advanced utilities
Launch CMD prompt
Type in fastboot devices and enter

eqonix

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

Have you tried wiping cache like I said?

Go into bootloader on your phone (volume up, volume down and power)
Connect phone to computer
Go to toolkit and advanced utilities
Launch CMD prompt
Type in fastboot devices and enter
sorry I didn't say your latest post, I'll try it now.

Laurie Gallant

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

hey guys sorry to jump in on your thread but i need help and dont know how to post on here yet . i have a canadian galaxy s 3 sgh1747 and i accidentally used the wrong firmware through oden it now has the verizon symbol and is stuck i tried flashing other original firmware but it is all wrong im ready to rip my hair out. odin gives me either a write error or a port error and i tried everything cleaning ports, changing them , different cables , pulling phone battery, restarting comp, cleaning cashe, and about 4 different firwares nothing is workin, it will get to the activating phone screen when it boots but then says problem and restart or call provider. i cant seem to locate the actual canadian rogers s3 sgh 1747 anywere it dosnt seem to exsist please o mighty android gods helpppppppp

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52