Poll: What headphones/earphones do you use?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Since the V20 has an awesome DAC, the audio experience has greatly improved. I've tried the bundled B&O earphones and thought they were no different then the ones that usually come with phones (Samsung/Apple earphones). Just bought a pair of Audio‑Technica ATH M40X due to the high ratings and recommendations so that I can actually fully enjoy the music coming from the V20.

Which headphones are you using? Do you really care about quality? (Should LG continue to improve this technology?)

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I was already and have been curious of jumping into the Hi Fidelity world, and the reason I choose the Lgv20 over the Pixel was for its Quad Dac. I own 2 over the ear headphones and 2 IEMs and the latter sound way better on the LGv20. I'm convinced optimum listening would be with IEM. (In Ear Monitors). Over the ear headphones just need that little xtra boost in amp to get the most out of them. To my ears anyway. I first attached my lgv20 to my Denon receiver (via RCA cable adapter) and found that the little xtra amp did indeed bring more enjoyment of my Audio Technica & Fedelio cans. This is a smartphone, lets be real, any portable amp (if your into HiFi sound combined with over the ear headphones) will enhance the experience considerably. My Skull Candys IEM sound the best to me with this phone.

TremF

May 28, 2015
Visit site
For wired listening I have Audio-Technica ATH-M50X and for wireless I have the LG Tone Platinum HBS-1100 with Aptx-HD.

I'm looking at getting the Audio Technica ATH-DSR9BT, when they are available, which also have Aptx-HD.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Audio Technica ATH - MSR7NC.
Great pair of high res headphones and with the noise cancellation active they trigger the high impedance gain of the quad DAC.

thunder18

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Both my Audio-Technica ATH-ANC9 and Sol Republic Tracks HD trigger high impedance mode and sound great. The Audio-Technicas are interesting as noise canceling headphones because they trigger high impedance without the noise canceling being switched on.

middbrew

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the Sennheiser HD 650's. They sound incredible. The phone has no problem pushing them and there's no need for an additional amp. If you are wanting the best experience, remember the the quad DAC really kicks in once the impedance gets to or over 50ohms.

I also have the LG Tone Platinum HBS-1100 for wireless use and they sound really good.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Both my Audio-Technica ATH-ANC9 and Sol Republic Tracks HD trigger high impedance mode and sound great. The Audio-Technicas are interesting as noise canceling headphones because they trigger high impedance without the noise canceling being switched on.

That is odd that they do because I believe the impedance is less than the trigger point in your headphones. Could be something in the line causing just enough resistance to trigger. In my case with the ATH - MSR7NCs I have to start with NC active and when I turn it off it stays as long as I don't unplug. I rarely use them without NC active though.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm using the Sennheiser HD 650's. They sound incredible. The phone has no problem pushing them and there's no need for an additional amp. If you are wanting the best experience, remember the the quad DAC really kicks in once the impedance gets to or over 50ohms.

I also have the LG Tone Platinum HBS-1100 for wireless use and they sound really good.

The Quad DAC is still active without high impedance activated. Its just mostly operating at a lower gain level. I wish they didn't set it up that way but I guess they are afraid of blowing cheap headphones.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I use bose quietcomfort 35. I am not an audiophile however.

Those are some swag headphones! :D. Would love to own a pair. Absolutely brilliant for loud environments. Definitely on my wish list.

My casual pair is the JBL E50BT (White). They work nicely for general casual music but definitely not 'studio' quality haha :D

My eye is on the JBL Everest Elite 700 or the Bose QC35.

A droid a day keeps the Apple away

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The QC35s are a great choice over the QC25s if you also need Bluetooth as an option. My major complaints with BOSE is that activating the noise cancellation impacts the sound characteristics and they are not that comfortable for my needs. I think the ear cups are too small.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
For wired listening I have Audio-Technica ATH-M50X and for wireless I have the LG Tone Platinum HBS-1100 with Aptx-HD.

I'm looking at getting the Audio Technica ATH-DSR9BT, when they are available, which also have Aptx-HD.

One can't have too many headphones

Will In SF

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Love the sound from this phone. I use Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 over ears and Xiaomi Mi in ear Pro HDs for when I am out and about or at the gym.