Poll: Whose turned off by the $10 buy up for the Evo?

Are you turned off by the $10 buy up

• Total voters

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
You think they will build a new 4g system and not want to make their money back. Its like putting a toll on a new bridge either you pay or go around you have choices, in your case just don't buy the phone. It is obvious the whom ever wants this phone will pay the measly 10 bucks for premium service, either you shut up or put up.

While you all leave to go to other carriers there are a lot of people leaving there carrier just to get this phone or to get away from those higher prices.

Last edited:

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
79.99 for limitless data and text, with 450 minutes(including the 10 4g fee). But you should so Sprint what there missing out on, got to Verizon or Att and pay 20 bucks more a month without the 4g, after all its the principle of it right? wait Im confused.

For that extra $20/month on AT&T you get simultaneous voice and data, and for that same amount of money on Verizon you get a much superior 3g network coverage. For that extra $10 a month you get what, a bigger screen and a front facing camera? The new iphone will have that. Goodbye Sprint!

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
for those of you getting corporate or other discounts - i take it that none of you have "simply everything" plans? i was told no discounts apply.

currently i pay $99 for the "unlimited everything" plan and with tax/fees etc. it comes to $114/month. i am reimbursed by my employer $100 so i have to eat $14. with the EVO i will have to eat $24 which i'd rather save/invest than send it to Sprint. i'm tempted to downgrade to the $69 "everything plan".

Joeriginal

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I fully support the original poster. Its a matter of cost/benefit, and the extra $10 a month does not increase the benefit of having the phone when you are already paying for an "everything" plan. Its not about the amount of money because I could afford several of these phones, but its about the principle of allowing Sprint to charge us extra for no extra service. Its obvious those of you here who are going to get the phone anyway, or are giving the OP a hard time over this lack the principles to stand up to a company when it does something that makes you unhappy. I am more motivated than ever to swtich providers. Even if the cost is more atleast I will be getting everything I am paying for than paying for services i cannot use. I would advise the OP to go to the iphone or Incredible as both are very capable phones and they both are on networks much superior to Sprint's. I really want the EVO, but Sprint has told me they don't want my business. Looks like they will continue to shed subscribers by the thousands like they have for awhile. So much for improved customer service.

There is no other carrier offering 4g on a phone sprint is the first, and guess what if you buy a 4g card for a laptop your getting charged for the service too, Wimax towers cost money, especially since they are going to be making it stronger. The 4g radio is seperate from the 3g and uses different towers not the same, so 10 dollars to use a different radio for blazing fast speed a month seems a little reasonable, since your not being charged for using something already covered in the everything plan, your being charged for a diff service all together, so your reasoning is flawed. Its like buy a Big mac meal and complaining about not getting the free desert, its not included you have to pay extra for it. And if you dont live in a 4g area, well you really dont need a 4g phone now do you.

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
You think they will build a new 4g system and not want to make their money back. Its like putting a toll on a new bridge either you pay or go around you have choices, in your case just don't buy the phone. It is obvious the whom ever wants this phone will pay the measly 10 bucks for premium service, either you shut up or put up.

Its more akin to charging me the $10 toll if I simply look at the bridge because I am getting a "richer viewing environment". I shouldn't have to pay for 4g if i do not have it where I live.

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
There is no other carrier offering 4g on a phone sprint is the first, and guess what if you buy a 4g card for a laptop your getting charged for the service too, Wimax towers cost money, especially since they are going to be making it stronger. The 4g radio is seperate from the 3g and uses different towers not the same, so 10 dollars to use a different radio for blazing fast speed a month seems a little reasonable, since your not being charged for using something already covered in the everything plan, your being charged for a diff service all together, so your reasoning is flawed. Its like buy a Big mac meal and complaining about not getting the free desert, its not included you have to pay extra for it. And if you dont live in a 4g area, well you really dont need a 4g phone now do you.

If sprint offered 4g in my area this wouldn't be a problem, but they don't and they want to charge me for it anyway.

anish3232

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
That also includes simultaneous voice and data, and its available where i live. Unlike 4g.

Sprint never called it a 4G Data charge its just a data charge. That $30 doesn't include simultaneous voice and data, every ATT phone can do that (with or without the $30 plan)

Last edited:

Joeriginal

May 21, 2010
Visit site
If sprint offered 4g in my area this wouldn't be a problem, but they don't and they want to charge me for it anyway.

Again if you dont have 4g in your area maybe getting the phone now isnt such a good idea. Just like I dont like apple and att's bloated pricing, I didnt get an iphone, its not as complicated as people make it. Or wait get the phone unlocked and use it elsewhere.

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
My guess is that if Evo doesn't sell to expectations after a month, they'll drop the extra $10 fee, even for those who signed up for the extra $10. If it does sell to expectations, they made a wise decision (from their perspective).

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Sprint never called it a 4G Data charge its just a data charge. That $30 doesn't include simultaneous voice and data, every ATT phone can do that (with or without the $30 plan)

They can call it anything they want, but the bottom line is that it is 4g charge considering it applys to their only 4g phone. Sorry, but no amount of marketing dogma can subvert the truth uncovered by a little logical thinking.

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, it looks like this is not the phone for you, maybe you should be looking at a new Palm Pre, hero or Moment.

Not quite. I only buy a phone once every two years, so I want the latest and greatest phone money can buy. Buying last years hot model just won't cut it because by the time i get around to buying a new phone my phone is way behind in technology considering how fast the mobile phone market moves.

commo

May 7, 2010
Visit site
To be honest I'm surprised that the EVO is priced as low as it its. I mean the Touch Pro 2 was at $350 subsidized just a few months ago and I would have expected the EVO to be prices similarly but it's not. Also, ATT is increasing their Early Termination fee from $175 to $325. Verizon has already increased their's to $350. Sprint will still be cheaper overall either way you look at it. Sprint's ETF is still only $200 and they allow yearly upgrades. Anyway you look at it, the overall value with Sprint wins hands down.