Poll: Whose turned off by the $10 buy up for the Evo?

Are you turned off by the $10 buy up

• Total voters

anish3232

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
They can call it anything they want, but the bottom line is that it is 4g charge considering it applys to their only 4g phone. Sorry, but no amount of marketing dogma can subvert the truth uncovered by a little logical thinking.

I have been with Sprint for 8 years now and had a plan from 1999-2000 until last year. I had a $5.00 add-on on my plan for regular vision (1x internet) and was using the hell out of it on EvDO smart phones until July 2009. I was forced to change plans to get a Palm PRE. (KIND OF LIKE THE $10 DATA CHARGE at least its an add-on) I would have gladly paid $10 a month NOT TO CHANGE MY PLAN to a more expensive plan. So I am glad I do not have to change my plan again.

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
To be honest I'm surprised that the EVO is priced as low as it its. I mean the Touch Pro 2 was at $350 subsidized just a few months ago and I would have expected the EVO to be prices similarly but it's not. Also, ATT is increasing their Early Termination fee from $175 to $325. Verizon has already increased their's to $350. Sprint will still be cheaper overall either way you look at it. Sprint's ETF is still only $200 and they allow yearly upgrades. Anyway you look at it, the overall value with Sprint wins hands down.

If you include the $10 fee the EVO actually costs $440 so it is not that great a value. Add in the fewer apps than an iphone and the lower coverage quality of the incredible and you have a horrible value.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
To be honest I'm surprised that the EVO is priced as low as it its. I mean the Touch Pro 2 was at $350 subsidized just a few months ago and I would have expected the EVO to be prices similarly but it's not. Also, ATT is increasing their Early Termination fee from $175 to $325. Verizon has already increased their's to $350. Sprint will still be cheaper overall either way you look at it. Sprint's ETF is still only $200 and they allow yearly upgrades. Anyway you look at it, the overall value with Sprint wins hands down.

but Incredible is $150-$200 at VZW with almost the same hardware. 4G chip and bigger display can't cost that much ie 2-3X.

the $10 is to help pay for the infrastructure for that 4G rollout all over the country! BIG INVESTMENT! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ they want to get some ROI back!!!!!!!!!

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Well' if you want the latest and greatest you have to pay for the privilege of ownership. I suggest you wait till august when the Galaxy S comes to all for carriers, it has a 4" samoled screen.

Last edited:

ldostang

May 16, 2010
Visit site
One thing that you are not mentioning is that Sprint gives you FREE Mobile to Any Mobile. And it was given to us for no extra charge (not all plans though i think). What other carriers give you that?

Last edited:

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
If you include the $10 fee the EVO actually costs $440 so it is not that great a value. Add in the fewer apps than an iphone and the lower coverage quality of the incredible and you have a horrible value.

Thats why they call it subsidizing your paying for the phone through you plan, duh!

LABLE

May 4, 2010
Visit site
For that extra $20/month on AT&T you get simultaneous voice and data, and for that same amount of money on Verizon you get a much superior 3g network coverage. For that extra $10 a month you get what, a bigger screen and a front facing camera? The new iphone will have that. Goodbye Sprint!

So you would pay $20 for simultaneous voice and data rather $10 for the premium data charge?

commo

May 7, 2010
Visit site

True but if you like to upgrade to the latest and greatest, you will have to wait at least two years on other carriers to get that subsidized pricing while on Sprint you only wait 1 year. It all really depends on the kind of phone user your are. Almost forgot, you don't have to pay for Navigation on Sprint where on Verizon and ATT you do. They're $10 a month so your pretty much leveled the playing field even with the $10 data premium. And yes i know that Android Provides free driving directions using Google Maps but the option is still included.

LABLE

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Who else is going to show Sprint an extra $10 fee on their new flagship phone won't fly? Especially since I'm sure many of you, like me, aren't in 4G areas.

Coming from the Pre I couldn't possibly use more data than I already do and don't accept their justification for the fee. On a family plan a $10 fee represents a 50% increase in cost for this phone per month in addition to the standard $20 add a phone fee.

$240 for the life of a 2 year agreement bugs me enough that I won't be purchasing this phone with Sprint until something changes. For a tech person this is hard but principle rules on this decision.

For anyone who wants to claim that Sprint is still cheaper go ahead. But it's getting less cheaper so suddenly Verizon's superior 3G coverage network looks good with the Inc (again, I'm in a major city that does not have 4G).

Just my opinion.

Thanks!

Are you really going to add the phone to all your lines?

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site

It looks like what you really need is an new Iphone or Incredible all along problem solved, you should go to AT&T or Verizon, next!

Last edited:

lembowski

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I was told the $10 fee is not discounted like the plan itself. I get a 20% from work, but it won't touch the $10 just like it won't for insurance. So for you guys thinking it will cost $7.50 or $8, you may want to question it.

BigRick10

May 13, 2010
Visit site
The insurance has nothing to do with the usage of the phone. On the other hand the 10 is in regards to the data usage. So they better discount it or i will call and give them an earful and demand for them to waive it.

lembowski

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
The insurance has nothing to do with the usage of the phone. On the other hand the 10 is in regards to the data usage. So they better discount it or i will call and give them an earful and demand for them to waive it.

Thats what Customer Service and the Sprint Corporate store told me........

As opposed to the assumptions made that it will apply, you may just want to check on it.

rodrigosb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I?m getting the phone, but I don?t think its fair paying the extra $10. Why?
My wife use 3 times more data than me using youtube on her way to work, I spend more time on the internet checking web sites, emails and Pandora some times. She will keep the Pre and the higher data usage, but I will be the one paying $10 extra, and there?s no 4G in NJ.

I?m on a family shared plan, $129.99 with 1500 minutes and unlimited data, a great deal, and the additional $10 will not keep me away from the best device on sprint network. But I?m pretty sure there will be many Pre and Blackberry users using more data without the additional fee.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I will be getting this device and definitely don't have a problem with the $10 fee. I will be able to do at least that much more with that phone than what I have right now. I also travel to 2 different cities enough that have 4g and will love to be able to use it when I go there. As far as the coverage debate, att has no 3g where I live yet charge the $30 that I wouldn't be able to use yet no one is up in arms about that. Verizon's coverage here is the same as sprint's so why not pay less and have more. I won't have 4g all the time with this phone (probably only 1 weekend a month on average) but I will still be able to do more with this phone in a 3g area than I can now. So why not pay the $10 fee to be able to do more? Of course I will.

ExploderBlade

May 7, 2010
Visit site
You realize that WiMAX towers are ex*****ve...correct? And if you live in a wimax area having access to 3-10MBps download speeds is worth it.
I plan to get it all the same, you're just whining.

wteviper

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Just switched from $49.00 + $7 tep per month sero to 5 person Everything Plus Referral family with 5 users so my bill will be $52 per mo with tep and 4g. I can deal, plus we have 4g coverage here in Vegas Baby!!!

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site

You go do that while the rest of us will be enjoying the Evo!

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe