Post pictures taken with your Moto X Pure Edition here!

vinceboii

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Post pictures taken with your Moto X Pure Edition (Moto X Style) here!

Just snap these real quick my Accord and my coworker's Charger. HDR auto is on and it was on for my car but not the Charger
IMG_20151201_115233290_HDR.jpg

IMG_20151201_115433668.jpg

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

714842eb6556e0114b0a54b581133a8c.jpg

Verizoned

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site

I've had the Pure for the last week and also the Nexus 5x and a Nexus 6. Surprisingly, of all 3 the Moto X has the worst pics. This is after looking at the pics on a computer thru google photos.

I'll directly download them to my pc to see the full size files soon. From what I see so far though the camera has some, maybe ALL of these problems:

1. Low contrast in images. This could simply be that the lens they use is of lower quality than the nexus ones. You pay thousands of $$ for good camera lenses and this is to get things like low distortion and good contrast without internal reflections. The issue on contrast "could" also be they just have crappy image algorithms. I've played with a few of the images trying to tweak out the curves in Photoshop to color correct and contrast correct but have had little success. This leads me to believe more that the problem is simply bad glass to begin with...a cheap lens on the camera.

2. Really bad noise as the sensor reaches it's limits. There is a lot of color noise present in the images. The Nexus cameras remove most of the color noise the processing in the moto x doesn't. The pure images get really crunchy and grungy at their low and high light limits.

3. Poor detail. This is weird. 21 mp vs. the Nexus's 12mp. Both the old Nexus 6 and the new 5x at least 80% of the time resolve more detail than the Pure. I've noticed that a lot of this is caused by camera movement. The Nexus cameras take the shot instantly but then process it. On the Pure you tap on the screen and there is often a delay which leaves time for you to be slightly moving the phone with you hands causing blur which amounts to robbing you of detail. So, twice the megapixels but a more shaky shooting experience equals detail robbing blur. If I mounted each camera in a tripod every time I took a shot and could force the ISO on the pure to never go past 320 then you'd likely see the pure do much better..but who carries around a tripod for a camera phone..:)

4. Audio thru headset. Pure is 2nd best. Surprisingly the Nexus 6 is the loudest and cleanest of the 3. The 5x doesn't have the volume of the others but the sound is good. Pair with external amp and you have a nice headphone rig.

Anyway, to be clear, I believe the image issues with the pure start with the lens itself. This can never be fixed. You will always lose contrast to internal reflections and poor lens coating. They could get away with that if they had some really good image processing software as you took the shot, but they don't right now.

Edited to add, the surprise here has been the Nexus 6. It has the best audio, 2nd best pictures, feels the best in my hand and was by far the cheapest. Didn't expect that phone to be so tempting.

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

Nexus 6 feeling best in your hand? It's for me one of the worst phones in terms of size.
I also have to disagree about the camera quality in the Nexus 6. The 5X/P yeah can be better in low-light, but not Nexus 6.

Verizoned

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site

Can't argue with you about how the phone feels in your hand. We all have different hands.

I do want to ask you about camera quality though. Have you owned a Nexus 6 and the Pure side by side? I consistently get "better" pictures from the N6 indoors or mid range outdoors.

The Pure just has this delay that causes motion blur. I'm trying to adjust ME (my technique) to see if I can make it work for me, but the Nexus is hands down much simpler to get sharp and contrasty photos with.

Regarding the 5x, no contest, it's easily better than both of these phones camera's.

What puts the N6 ahead of the Pure is its auto HDR processing so far.

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

Can't argue with you about how the phone feels in your hand. We all have different hands.

I do want to ask you about camera quality though. Have you owned a Nexus 6 and the Pure side by side? I consistently get "better" pictures from the N6 indoors or mid range outdoors.

The Pure just has this delay that causes motion blur. I'm trying to adjust ME (my technique) to see if I can make it work for me, but the Nexus is hands down much simpler to get sharp and contrasty photos with.

Regarding the 5x, no contest, it's easily better than both of these phones camera's.

What puts the N6 ahead of the Pure is its auto HDR processing so far.

In a dark setting the Pure makes brighter pics, the N6 makes sharper pics. Put them both together and you have the 6P.

Verizoned

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site

Kind of agree with that. :)

So, I got my otterbox defender case on the pure, and either the extra weight has improved the steadiness of the photos OR yesterday's camera update did something. I'm getting much less motion blur now.

The shots are all still slightly overexposed with mediocre processing, but I've found that transferring the photos to computer and tweaking curves in Photoshop has made me much more satisfied.

Overall, it's getting there. :)

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

Nexus 6 vs MPXE at night

Attachments

• IMG_20151213_190908377.jpg
    IMG_20151213_190908377.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 66

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

Oops here's the N6

Attachments

• 25819.jpg
    25819.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 260

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

There was actually clouds behind that. Had to manual exposure to get any detail on the tree. HDR was no help. MPXE simply can't deal with contrast.

I had no idea there were palm trees in England.

Attachments

• 25823.jpg
    25823.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 68

Shimon Mor

May 5, 2013
Visit site

I agree with many of the complaints about this camera. Overall, just not very good compared to other camera phones. But with descent light, it's pretty good (as are most camera phones). This was taken in good light. Cannon Beach and Haystack Rock.

cannon.png

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

23749877316_8ae10c66de_b.jpg

Another pic. I will try to use a 3rd party app the following days, I find the native app too restricting.

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

London eye & big ben

Attachments

• 25898.jpg
    25898.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 68
Nov 29, 2015
Visit site

For me this is quite good but I am not too picky... The pictures of the lightbulbs were taken with exposure adjustments.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 1241.jpg
    1241.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 49
Nov 29, 2015
Visit site

I'm not sure if all the pictures uploaded so here you go again

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 1241.jpg
    1241.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 49

owb2gp

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site

A few pictures from last weekend. Mountain goats near Alpine, Wyoming,

Attachments

• IMG_20160103_150624.jpg
    IMG_20160103_150624.jpg
    787.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20160103_150620.jpg
    IMG_20160103_150620.jpg
    786.3 KB · Views: 40

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members