potentially stupid question

bscabl

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
i have the EVO... been rooted for ages.. ready to try different roms.. have nandroid backup and titanium backup done.. have rom manager..
now im seeing "update radio if needed" in a couple different places.. what does this mean, how do i know if i "need" it.. and how do i do it?
thanks for putting up with a semi-n00b

bscabl

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
ok, that all makes perfect sense.. now.. i have the stock, rooted rom i have all but the LAST ota update.. [thus i dont have the latest radio/wimax]

how do i know if im s=off? [i unrevoked.. but not this latest new ota compatible one.. as i was already rooted and avoided the ota].. and [this is kind of a multipart question] 1. do i HAVE to update them..2 if so.. will the nandroid backup reverse this if everything goes wonky.. and 3. can i update them first.. with my stock rom.. or should i wait till after i flash [im considering myn's as is 4g compatible and seems pretty stable] as it states if "coming from an older release" since im coming from stock

i really appreciate all this help!

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm not too familiar with rooting the Evo or any of its Roms....I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can help you out further.....or just start reading through some forums for now..

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
This is why i recommend other rooting methods that use the command line, so you know exactly what state your phone is in. Anywho, to check if youre s-off turn off your phone and boot into the bootloader. At the top right it will say S-off, i know it will say s-off because you have already done a successful nandroid back-up. ;)

Updating your radios is the most dangerous thing you can do, but, its also a good thing to do dont get me wrong. When you flash the radio update package your phone will reboot multiple times and generally act crazy. DO NOT BATTERY PULL. If you battery pull during a radio update you will be permanently, forever, bricked. Be patient.

In your case, i would recommend killing two birds with one stone HERE. Grab the all-in-one update package, put it on the root of your sd card, boot into the bootloader and once prompted accept the update.

More details are in that thread. Keep in mind that this is the only rom i know of that you flash through the bootloader, normal ones through recovery. Didnt want to confuse you ;)
I would recommend you read the link in my signature. If i wasnt clear on anything, or you have more questions, fire away :p

Edit - Didnt see the bit about going to MYN's, if you are going to MYN's you will need to update the radios. So flash sprint lovers all-in-one which will update your radios, nandroid, then flash MYNs

Last edited:

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
ok, that all makes perfect sense.. now.. i have the stock, rooted rom i have all but the LAST ota update.. [thus i dont have the latest radio/wimax]

how do i know if im s=off? [i unrevoked.. but not this latest new ota compatible one.. as i was already rooted and avoided the ota].. and [this is kind of a multipart question] 1. do i HAVE to update them..2 if so.. will the nandroid backup reverse this if everything goes wonky.. and 3. can i update them first.. with my stock rom.. or should i wait till after i flash [im considering myn's as is 4g compatible and seems pretty stable] as it states if "coming from an older release" since im coming from stock

i really appreciate all this help!

Hey m8, sounds like you should still be rooted. The last rom you updated, was it a custom rooted rom???

To check for s-off just boot in to hboot and look in the upper left hand side of the screen...

If your going to flash Myns latest version your going to need to update the radios.

If I remember right this is how it should go.

Download Myns rom and the radio update zip file found in the post.

1. Nandroid backup
2. Do a complete wipe
3. Flash the Rom
4. Then with out rebooting flash the radio update zip
5. Reboot... it will take a bit of time. Not only are you loading a new Rom but the radios have to be rewritten.

Just give it some time and you should be good.

Hope that helps ya...

Last edited:

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Here you go m8..... right under were you get the downloads for the most current rom and radio zips are step by step inscriptions.

Installation Instructions: Download Rom and Radio/Wimax updates and place in the root of SDCard.
Reboot into Recovery.
Perform Nandroid backup
Minimally wipe dalvik and cache. For optimal experience, perform full wipe (data/dalvik/cache).
Flash the rom first.
Then the radio/wimax update. While the radios are flashing you'll see a little green arrow phone icon for a bit afterwords, Wait on this. You will then automatically be taken back to recovery.
Once back in recovery, reboot.
Enjoy

bscabl

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
you guys are amazing.. last question.. [2 parter] can i update the radios BEFORE playing with my rom without harm.. and will my nand backup i did an hour ago restore everything.. or will my radio updates always be updated...

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
you guys are amazing.. last question.. [2 parter] can i update the radios BEFORE playing with my rom without harm.. and will my nand backup i did an hour ago restore everything.. or will my radio updates always be updated...

If the current rom your running is based off of the latest ota v3.70. The new radios are for the build.

If I remember right it sounded like you were running a older version. I'm not real sure if they would work "well" with an older version. They should but...... things could get a little dicey.

On your second question..... I never thought about that.... I really don't know how far nand backs things up, things being the radios. I use Amon RA as my recovery and it has an option to backup wimax but I'm pretty sure that's for the keys not the radio.

Now I'm kind of looking for an answer. LoL... wish could help you more. Sorry m8

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Radios are not backed up in a nandroid (Although the WiMax partition is :D), and who knows how well the radio updates will play with an older rom. Thats why i suggest using the sprint lovers to update, that way there is no if/ands/or buts in the mix.

So basically, once your updated, your updated. Its gonna wipe you also, so back-up anything you want.

1. Back-up apps/make sure your contacts are sync'd with google.
2. Flash sprint lovers through bootloader (This will wipe you)
3. Nandroid
4. Wipe, and flash MYN's thru recovery
5. Enjoy life :)

bscabl

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
welp i went and did sprint lovers.. pretty smooth process.. except titanium made me click install when i ran the restore batch.. 151 times..
battery life seems even more dismal.. but that could just be because the new os hasnt synced to my battery yet or something..
and titanium apparently doesnt backup or restore contacts.. i lost a good chunk that apparently were saved to "phone" since they were passed down from sprint phone to phone over my last 12 years with them.

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
and titanium apparently doesnt backup or restore contacts.. i lost a good chunk that apparently were saved to "phone" since they were passed down from sprint phone to phone over my last 12 years with them.

As far as I can remember Titanium Backup does backup contacts.... just have to have the right things clicked in, I think it's somewhere under User Data.

For future backups and flashing use "MyBackup Root" to backup your contacts, call logs and text messages, works great.

figured out the contacts, pulled em off my palm pre with a ##phone command :D

Was going to say you could always do a Nandroid backup of your current setup, then restore your Nandroid backup from your setup with all of your contacts, sync your contacts to Google, then restore back to your new setup.

welp i went and did sprint lovers.. pretty smooth process.. except titanium made me click install when i ran the restore batch.. 151 times..

Once you get use to the whole process, flashing a new ROM is easy. I only use Titanium Backup to backup my application data... I use AppBrain to backup the actual applications them selves. Still have to do a lot of clicking the "ok" button a lot, but it seems to go a lot smoother and faster than Titanium. Both download the apps from the Market, so you still have to deal with all of the permissions and all.

battery life seems even more dismal.. but that could just be because the new os hasnt synced to my battery yet or something..

I haven't really looked over Sprint Lovers Rom, but from what I remember of it it still has all of the Sprint bloatware in it. That stuff will suck the life out of your battery real quick.

You want to be looking for Rom's that have most if not all of that bloatware gone.

igotsanevo4g suggested flashing Sprint Lovers Rom as a easy and safer way of updating your radios.

Some of the Rom's that I've gotten good battery life on were:

1. MikFroyo v4.4 with the stock HTC-kernel #15(current setup)
2. Myn's Rls 4 with the stock HTC-kernel #15
3. BakedSnack (can't remember the version I used) with KiNgxKernel-EVO-11-2.6.32.24

Give them a look... got to get that Sprint crap out of your phone... it's always looking to update and sucking down your juice.

bscabl

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
hmm loaded advanced task killer to see what was running.. nothing "sprint" is currently loaded.which is already LOADS better than stock :p
im thinking about myn.. i hear it is stable.. has good battery life and isnt such a departure from stock that itll be like a foreign country where things dont work [4g etc]
im only hesitant cuz it took so much effort to restore my icons [took till this morning to find a thread that told me where in titanium to look] and phonebook [tho now its all synced to google] and clicking ok 151 times lol

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
If you buy titanium pro you don't have to restore everything individually. Although sometimes titanium backup can mess stuff up, so keep that in mind.

If your worried about buggy roms, and or not being able to do anything about it. Don't fret, almost all commonly used roms are stable, and there's always a way to change to something else if its not agreeing with your phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigthangz80