Prevent video recordings from stopping when locking phone

SVoyagerr

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Hello, I need some help trying to figure this out. I was on a vacation and I wanted to shoot some action video while riding a jetski. I had the phone strapped to me but because the screen needed to stay on for recording, the phone would sometimes stop recording by itself as it would sense touch and eventually it triggers the stop recording button. (I am not hitting the clip length limit)

So I was hoping that locking the screen would keep the recording going but no, it stops the recording as soon as I lock the phone. Tried excluding from battery saving rules but that didn't help.

Is there any way around this? It could be a specific gesture needed to stop the recording, a physical button press. (I don't mind keeping the screen on as long as I can prevent a "phantom" press on the stop recording button).

Any ideas??

SVoyagerr

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Yeah, it would give better results overall. I've been thinking about it, just figured that this could work still if it weren't for the video shutting off by mistake. If it's not possible, yeah the gopro would certainly be the more professional route.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, it would give better results overall. I've been thinking about it, just figured that this could work still if it weren't for the video shutting off by mistake. If it's not possible, yeah the gopro would certainly be the more professional route.

You could put it into some kind of clear waterproof case that kept water off the screen.. that would stop the water from causing accidental touches. Would also keep it from being triggered by other things. Amazon should have something that would work for action filming, and it would be cheaper than a GoPro ;)

SVoyagerr

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Actually, i sort of already have that. I would need a case that doesn't allow the ability to use the touch screen lol. What i have is a clear pouch that you put the phone in and is waterproof, allows for underwater shots. But if i hold the phone against me, its gonna make a ton of false triggers.

Maybe a hard case would be better? Hmm!

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
This might sound ridiculous but cover the screen with something after you start recording. You have the phone in a clear pouch? Slide something thin into the pouch in front of the screen, won't be able to accidently touch it. Literally just need a cardboard or plastic insert of some kind.

SVoyagerr

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Interresting! I've been trying it a bit and I need something thick to shield the screen. I've been trying different items and that screen is sensitive. Sheet of paper? Nope, still manages to detect keypress. A few layers of microfiber cloth. Nope, display still working fine. My wallet is about 5mm thick leather and that does block the display. So finding the right material and thickness might do it, thanks!!

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Interresting! I've been trying it a bit and I need something thick to shield the screen. I've been trying different items and that screen is sensitive. Sheet of paper? Nope, still manages to detect keypress. A few layers of microfiber cloth. Nope, display still working fine. My wallet is about 5mm thick leather and that does block the display. So finding the right material and thickness might do it, thanks!!

It's the material that matters, something that won't conduct the static electricity needed for interaction. Personally I'd try some cardboard, thin piece of wood, etc.