Price point

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
With the high price revealed of the motorola xoom, this device just got a little more interesting. I could care less about the 3D fad stuff, but could see them trying to market it as a premium feature. My question to you is what is your estimate of price?

Sent from my HTC Vision

Ali Fazel

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
$599 is the highest I'm willing to pay, and that's off-contract. I can't see myself buying a tablet on-contract unless I drop all data and SMS from my primary line.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I doubt these process are accurate but who knows maybe our wishful thinking could be true, if the device costs too much... then I go to the Streak 7, which should be just as good if Dell decides to update it.

Sent from my Nexus S

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I wish LG would have a stripped down version. I don't need cameras on ANY tablet. I sure as heck don't need 3d.

On a phone- cameras sure- but on a tablet no. I liked the rotateable one on the adam- but at the end of the day- just put a usb port in the thing and let me use a usb webcam if I REALLY need videochat. (I've rarely needed it up to now)

8.9" is a GREAT size, not too small like the 7" and not too big like 10. Wifi only for the win- but that's a pipedream I'm sure coming from a cellphone company.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Look on the bright side, we know it has 32gigs of space and a 1080p camera! The 3d may be gimicky, but at least it is something fresh, it isn't just another black slab to compete with the iPad. Also I would like to note that none of these tablets so far have any word for NFC, I would have thought that the Xoom would have it just because it is the first with Honeycomb, however that is not the case. If this thing is ssupposed to be portable wouldn't it be convenient like... lets say you want to get a map or pamphlet, you just put your device on there and a full pamphlet or map just pops up on your device.

Sent from my Nexus S

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Look on the bright side, we know it has 32gigs of space and a 1080p camera! The 3d may be gimicky, but at least it is something fresh, it isn't just another black slab to compete with the iPad. Also I would like to note that none of these tablets so far have any word for NFC, I would have thought that the Xoom would have it just because it is the first with Honeycomb, however that is not the case. If this thing is ssupposed to be portable wouldn't it be convenient like... lets say you want to get a map or pamphlet, you just put your device on there and a full pamphlet or map just pops up on your device.

Sent from my Nexus S

Now that would be awesome and never thought of something like that. That is the problem with standards though, it takes a lot of time and many companies getting on the same page in order for it to take off. It will come in time. Right now its not that big of a deal to me. Has anyone found the weight of this thing? And who here is crazy enough to by this on contract? I want something of a month to month deal, like if I know i'll be using the data a certain month I will just pay for it upfront. Please T-Mobile don't rape us like Verizon is going to do.

Sent from my HTC Vision

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Now that would be awesome and never thought of something like that. That is the problem with standards though, it takes a lot of time and many companies getting on the same page in order for it to take off. It will come in time. Right now its not that big of a deal to me. Has anyone found the weight of this thing? And who here is crazy enough to by this on contract? I want something of a month to month deal, like if I know i'll be using the data a certain month I will just pay for it upfront. Please T-Mobile don't rape us like Verizon is going to do.

Sent from my HTC Vision
Here is the thing, if this thing uses standard SIM cards then buying it off contract makes sense, I can jam the SIM card I use on my Nexus onto the thing and I have data. I don't need two seperate plans... or I could use my Nexus S to tether my data... it makes sense and is more logical than saving 300 bucks now just so you don't pay full price for the device. In the 2 years I own the device, I will have paid double of what I saved. By the way, from what Phil says, this thing is HEAVY. I just hope the screen difference makes it lighter than the Xoom. On another quick note, we could very well see the pricing next week... its MWC! We have another tablet so if this happens to be too expensive then we can put our hopes on the 10 inch Galaxy Tab!

Sent from my Nexus S

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I agree. Having another contract makes me want to vomit. I don't need another contract on something that I will probably replace in a year. That is why I love the even more plus plan on T-Mobile. I think its all about the price point with these things. Which ever company can get the price lower or equal to the ipad without compromising on features will have a hit. To most consumers the only difference is the software and price, as there are no differences when it comes to form factors (really how many was can you build a slate tablet device).

Sent from my HTC Vision

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree. Having another contract makes me want to vomit. I don't need another contract on something that I will probably replace in a year. That is why I love the even more plus plan on T-Mobile. I think its all about the price point with these things. Which ever company can get the price lower or equal to the ipad without compromising on features will have a hit. To most consumers the only difference is the software and price, as there are no differences when it comes to form factors (really how many was can you build a slate tablet device).

Sent from my HTC Vision

Exactly! I just slide my SIM card in and boom I have 3g! By the way, wifi only Xoom will be around 600, GSM Xoom coming and the Verizon Xoom will be around 700 or something. This gives me some hope that the price will be rational.

Sent from my Nexus S

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually thinking really heavy about getting the wifi xoom. It clearly is the device getting the most love right now and will be the leading tablet on the market. The 3D stuff is very gimmicky but I do believe the size is just right on the lg g-slate.

Sent from my HTC Vision

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Think about it though, if the G slate is just 100 dollars more, I would go with the G slate simply because it has GSM.

Sent from my Nexus S

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to burst your bubble guys, but I don't believe you'll be able to just take your current SIM card and stick it into the slate. I work in a T-Mobile retail store and with other mobile broad band devices you have to use a fresh SIM for the device and I would assume this is still the case with the g-slate. Wish you could though because I totally agree.

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I agree that more likely you wont be able. Not sure how they plan to implement it though. Especially for those that are already paying an android data plan, and the apn being the same. More than likely wont have phone service but may still be able to use data. I just want a Wi-Fi tablet that I can tether to my phone when I need to. Motorola, LG, Samsung, get out of bed with the carriers and just do it. My money is waiting.

Sent from my HTC Vision

eyesparky

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
There may be an element of 'loss leader' approach to the inclusion of the 3D capability on this tablet as LG are interested in encouraging the growth of 3D content. Hopefully this means the 3D inclusion won't be reflected in a dramatically higher price point. As Apple make their margins on content provision and can afford to take a hit on iPad margins, LG are making a play to encourage more people to make purchases of 3D TVs etc. Crowd sourcing 3D content seems like a fair strategic move on their part. Be interesting to see how it plays out.

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I really hope that the 3D doesn't cause a huge jump in price...I'm really interested in getting this device for school, and hooking up a BT keyboard to it so I can bring that instead of my lap top with me to take notes...Among other things :) The slightly larger screen (over the Samsung Galaxy Tab) is a definite plus for me, but if the sticker price is too high I think I'd still be able to manage on the 7". For me, the 3D is still too gimicky, and I'm not even a huge fan of 3D movies...I just like the in between size that it's offering. Fingers crossed!!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvagmailaccounts