Probably no N8 for me!

dlgus

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
This is the exact situation I am in. I still owe $528 on my S7E. I called Verizon and they said they would credit me $107 to my account but would still have to pay $421 to pre order. I thought we would be able to at the maximum pay to the 50% mark. Not 100% pretty disappointing

At least they offered you that ..the people I spokevto said 'sorry to see you go, buh bye'

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
The carriers buy the phones outright from Samsung. If they wanted to, they could pass the savings onto the carriers end for former Note7 owners. It's not Samsung's "fault". But, take care of everyone, not a select few.

Samsung is taking care of everyone. They are in no way responsible for people having their phones on a payment plan and not owning it. Your basically expecting Samsung to buy your phone for you, so you can trade it to them for a huge Note 8 discount.

You want Samsung to give a $425 discount and pay $300 plus to get some customers out of their device payment agreements. On top of the fact everyone who had a Note 7 was properly compensated for returning it.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
You want Samsung to give a $425 discount and pay $300 plus to get some customers out of their device payment agreements. On top of the fact everyone who had a Note 7 was properly compensated for returning it.

I think the more appropriate action would be Samsung offering an across the board deal with no trade in requirement (even if it were a lesser amount), and for the carriers to eat the cost of the trades for pressuring people into unwanted phones with the promise that they could exchange it later when the next Note or whatever came out.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Samsung is taking care of everyone. They are in no way responsible for people having their phones on a payment plan and not owning it. Your basically expecting Samsung to buy your phone for you, so you can trade it to them for a huge Note 8 discount.

Never said that at all. Don't misinterpret what I'm saying. That's not even close.
I'm saying offer a flat discount like $100 to all previous Note7 owners. Period. How hard would that be?
If everyone was compensated, don't do any deals now.
Why do some people have a hard time understanding this?

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I think the more appropriate action would be Samsung offering an across the board deal with no trade in requirement (even if it were a lesser amount), and for the carriers to eat the cost of the trades for pressuring people into unwanted phones with the promise that they could exchange it later when the next Note or whatever came out.
Yes. Thank you. Simple.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Everyone can trade for up to $375 via Samsung, they're upping it by $50. I guess they could just make the note 7 thing a $50 instant rebate not associated with a trade.

But part 2 is much more problematic. Forget phones. If you purchase a car, it's recalled, you get a full refund. You then buy a different car and drive it for a year. You're expecting the dealership to give you a full refund on the second car, which is used, depreciated and served as advertised for thousands of miles, etc. Absolutely not, in no way ever. Every dealership will offer a reasonable trade in value and if you financed it, you'd be responsible for the difference if the loan is "upside down". There's absolutely no logical reason for refunding the second vehicle and or device.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Forget phones. If you purchase a car, it's recalled, you get a full refund. You then buy a different car and drive it for a year. You're expecting the dealership to give you a full refund on the second car, which is used, depreciated and served as advertised for thousands of miles, etc. Absolutely not, in no way ever. Every dealership will offer a reasonable trade in value and if you financed it, you'd be responsible for the difference if the loan is "upside down". There's absolutely no logical reason for refunding the second vehicle and or device.

This analogy would be accurate if the dealer gave a written promise of making the later trade with no need of paying the upside down portion. I don't care if it's a bad deal for him, only that he made it. As Verizon has made with me.

Also, as I pointed out to someone else in one of these threads, under the usual circumstances you only pay the upside down portion of the vehicle you're trading in. This is based on a fair market value of your trade. In the case of the Note 8 offer, Verizon is arbitrarily giving us zero value on any phone. If they only required a partial payment to cover the upside down portion (if any) like at a car dealer, then that would be understandable.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
This analogy would be accurate if the dealer gave a written promise of making the later trade with no need of paying the upside down portion. I don't care if it's a bad deal for him, only that he made it. As Verizon has made with me.

Also, as I pointed out to someone else in one of these threads, under the usual circumstances you only pay the upside down portion of the vehicle you're trading in. This is based on a fair market value of your trade. In the case of the Note 8 offer, Verizon is arbitrarily giving us zero value on any phone. If they only required a partial payment to cover the upside down portion (if any) like at a car dealer, then that would be understandable.
Wait, Verizon is offering even more than Samsung. Verizon is offering up to $480 off with trade. That basically makes the Note device 50% off and even cheaper if done through Best Buy.

$480 for a trade in is HUGE, and as far as I can recall is the best trade deal they've ever offered.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Wait, Verizon is offering even more than Samsung. Verizon is offering up to $480 off with trade. That basically makes the Note device 50% off and even cheaper if done through Best Buy.

$480 for a trade in is HUGE, and as far as I can recall is the best trade deal they've ever offered.

Verizon is offering a $20/month bill credit for 24 months, essentially locking people into a contract to get the full $480. Big difference from taking the amount straight off the top.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

The max Samsung.com offer is $425. That means Verizon is trying to make me think the S7E in excellent condition only has a fair market value of $55. Even knowing they would have to put some into it to refurbish, that's still an insult knowing refurbs are going for $400+. They may as well only give the $425 Samsung credit with that little difference.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The max Samsung.com offer is $425. That means Verizon is trying to make me think the S7E in excellent condition only has a fair market value of $55. Even knowing they would have to put some into it to refurbish, that's still an insult knowing refurbs are going for $400+. They may as well only give the $425 Samsung credit with that little difference.

Er, sorry yes I used the wrong number. But, no it means they think that the "fair trade in value" is $375 and they're throwing in an extra $25 just to do a nice thing. It's stupid for them to do so, but there they are. Trades have traditionally been capped at $350-$375 from what I remember.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Er, sorry yes I used the wrong number. But, no it means they think that the "fair trade in value" is $375 and they're throwing in an extra $25 just to do a nice thing. It's stupid for them to do so, but there they are. Trades have traditionally been capped at $350-$375 from what I remember.

Do you have a link for the non note 7 trade in? Samsung site only mentions $300 max
df51ff370160c126c80bdb6e719046ef.png

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

Doesn't that commit you to a two-year contract though

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Doesn't that commit you to a two-year contract though

It does! If you pay it off prior or port out, you're liable for the balance paid off based on the $960.00 retail price instead of the so called $480.00 promo price. For anyone who upgrades or needs to change phones or leave, this could be a costly proposition. Now if you're absolutely certain that you will remain with Verizon for the ENTIRE TWO YEARS or will Keep your Note 8 for the full two years, the promo is a decent buy. Then again...you ALSO have to give up your existing phone, that's paid off as well. I wanted to keep my Note 5 as a backup because there are no Samsung repair centers in Denver. Verizon and Samsung stacked the deal in their favor. I'm interested, but hesitant at the moment. Verizon wants me to switch so bad... they already credited my account for the $30.00 upgrade fee.

Jadaress1

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
Hey at least you are getting offered something, us in the UK get naff all. I still have my s7 edge in a drawer collecting dust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non