Problem after problem.. help?

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
This is driving me crazy lol.

I just tried creating a new account on my pc, didn't work, tried rebooting pc, didn't work.. it's definitely, 100% related to the phone.

This is exactly what happened; Plugged it in, rooted, unplugged, played with some apps, plugged back in, put some music on it, unplugged, used phone for a while, plugged it in, went to put a movie on it, 1/4 through, it stopped working; phone won't connect to any computer or anything. It charges through my computer USB, but no options for mounting, nothing comes up in the notification, and I have tried changing all settings.

Is it possible to go back from root so I can return the phone? I'm within the 30 days.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Just to confirm, to rule out all possibilities:

- you are using the OEM Samsung cable
- you are using a USB port wired directly to the motherboard of the PC, not a hub
- you have the phone in debugging mode
- you have rebooted both phone and PC while plugged in
- you can enter download mode, but no com ports show in Odin

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Just to confirm, to rule out all possibilities:

- you are using the OEM Samsung cable
- you are using a USB port wired directly to the motherboard of the PC, not a hub
- you have the phone in debugging mode
- you have rebooted both phone and PC while plugged in
- you can enter download mode, but no com ports show in Odin

Correct on all.
I've tried the USB that came with the phone, as well as others. I believe it's a stock cable (I got the phone as Certified Pre Owned) from VZW, it was in perfect condition.. it's a usb cable that has a weird shape towards the end that fits the phone well, vcast tag, and warranty replacement tag. The end looks similar to this
images

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Any other ideas?

At this point, I'd like to just get it back to stock so I can give it back to Verizon and replace it if possible. This is such a headache of a phone, I love everything else about it but I absolutely need usb.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
If all you are wanting to do is unroot, you can try using ADB... You should still be able to use commands with ADB without mounting to the computer.

On a side note, didn't VZW's return policy change to 14 days before the iPhone release?

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Android Debugging Bridge. It is part of the Android SDK, and is used to manually root, make changes to system files, and much more.

See post #6 here to find two ways to unroot

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'll throw out that I had a huge rip of problems with USB connectivity when I first started rooting. I rooted because my phone was crashing my computer every time I plugged it in. I uninstalled all of the drivers, and then plugged my phone in in download mode and was able to get odin to recognize it. It was all uphill from there.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
If all you are wanting to do is unroot, you can try using ADB... You should still be able to use commands with ADB without mounting to the computer.

On a side note, didn't VZW's return policy change to 14 days before the iPhone release?

the problem with going the ADB route is that he still needs connection... although installing SDK may help

try installing Android SDK here
http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

at some point it will asking to install some java stuff when it takes you to the java site you want to download JDK

once thats installed you will see the SDK install window still grayed out, just hit the back button, then next button again and it will let you proceed

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Still no luck after trying all of the above. At this point, I can't even get back to stock without root so I can return it.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Still no luck after trying all of the above. At this point, I can't even get back to stock without root so I can return it.

Quick question about the usb drivers. After you downloaded the drivers, did you double click on the drivers file that was on your computer? If not you did not complete the install process for the drivers. When you download the Samsung drivers, you are just downloading the install package and you have to double click on that file to actually install the drivers.

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Quick question about the usb drivers. After you downloaded the drivers, did you double click on the drivers file that was on your computer? If not you did not complete the install process for the drivers. When you download the Samsung drivers, you are just downloading the install package and you have to double click on that file to actually install the drivers.

Yup, I did that.
:(

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I successfully unrooted it..

Tested ad free, told me it was unable to get root access.

Hard resetting to get rid of apps, and moving to either the droid X or gonna try this phone again... hopefully to root and get froyo, at least now I know how to root when usb isn't working.

I used these commands in the terminal emulator to fix my problem.
su

mount -t rfs -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl9 /system

rm /sdcard/Superuser.apk

rm system/xbin/busybox

rm /system/xbin/su

rm /sdcard/su

rm /sdcard/busybox

mount -t rfs -o remount,ro /dev/block/stl9 /system

exit (first "exit" takes you out of su)

exit (second "exit" takes you out of the terminal)

reboot

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, superuser is still in my app drawer seeing as I forgot to get rid of it when I was rooted.. now I have no usb, un-rooted, but still have superuser.

I screwed myself over.