Problem after problem.. help?

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Read over this thread about ADB, and see if you can use it... Even if your computer doesn't recognize your phone, you should still be able to use ADB.

Once you have QuickADB installed and running, try the "adb devices" command to see if you if lists your device. If it does, you can follow the ADB rooting steps found in this thread

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Read over this thread about ADB, and see if you can use it... Even if your computer doesn't recognize your phone, you should still be able to use ADB.

Once you have QuickADB installed and running, try the "adb devices" command to see if you if lists your device. If it does, you can follow the ADB rooting steps found in this thread

It doesn't work, I think it may have to do with my phone not recognizing it's plugged in.. but it simply can't find it.

Any way to root again under the recovery menu (vol+ and Vol- with power) so I can then delete the superuser app, and then unroot?

Thanks for the help

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I remember a while back DroidXcon was working on a method using Terminal Emulator, but I don't know if he was ever successful... May want to wait til he weighs in

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Will do. Would it help if I have access to another Droid Incredible?

I tried using Z4root and it didn't work. Tried with v 1.1, 1.2, and newest 1.3
It's starting to frustrate me a bit... not sure where to go, what to do, etc.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Think I could take it back unrooted even though it has Superuser in the menu?

they most likely wont even know what they are looking at if they saw it.

problem is you cant root without a computer that i know of. Because you need busybox commands but in order to use busybox commands you need to be rooted so its a catch22

Unless someone knows how to get busybox to work without root. i would try to mess with it but i dont have a phone at the moment....

is there any other computers around the house you can try a neighbors maybe?

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I've tried several computers. My media center PC (run W7 and Boxee) my girlfriends Dell laptop, my HP laptop, my mothers Dell Computer(XP), and multiple computers at work (I do tech support for my College, student worker though so I don't know too much) none of which recognize the phone is being plugged in aside from a pop up saying USB device not recognized, even though I have uninstalled drivers a number of times, and when I look in device manager it seems like it recognizes it.. but only shows which usb hub/port it's on (which is odd that ODIN/ADB won't recognize it) and no, it's not on a hub so I'm not sure why it says that. But, nonetheless, the phone acts like it isn't plugged into a PC, only a charger.

So, if I take it into Verizon, and they trade for a new phone, and verizon ends up seeing this had superuser on it, will it matter?
I guess worst that could happen is my warranty is void and I'm stuck without USB until a possible update?

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I did buy my phone as Certified Pre Owned, is it possible it didn't come with the correct USB cable?
It's a thin black USB cable with the mini usb end having a slightly odd shape to fit the phone. It says it's for vcast on a tag, and a warranty tag. That's it. How would I tell if it's a stock one or not?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I did buy my phone as Certified Pre Owned, is it possible it didn't come with the correct USB cable?
It's a thin black USB cable with the mini usb end having a slightly odd shape to fit the phone. It says it's for vcast on a tag, and a warranty tag. That's it. How would I tell if it's a stock one or not?

that sounds stock, but it could be possible the cord is damaged.

someone told me the other day he took in his phone because it wouldnt boot and he didnt even have insurance and they replaced it.
At worst you could load up launcher pro, then hide the superuser icon hopefully they wont know how to even get back to stock launcher lol

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Typically when you take a phone in for warranty replacement, they just send it in to be flashed to stock and examined for defects to be reused for replacements

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I'll give it a go at the local vzw store tomorrow.
Gonna put launcher pro on just in case.

Thanks for the ideas guys!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Typically when you take a phone in for warranty replacement, they just send it in to be flashed to stock and examined for defects to be reused for replacements

yup it would cost them more money to investigate problems than it would just to flash it and restock it as a refurb

the hide icon options is in launcher pro's preferences , i dont remember where but its in there

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
My friend made a good point today, he was telling me that another way is to say I downloaded it from the app store, technically it can be downloaded from the app store, and it won't do anything for un-rooted users, which I now am.. so, if they say anything, I can say look it says that the phone isn't rooted, you can get this in the app store, nothing is wrong. Well, that will be my backup story at least.

My usb should work though, I just got the phone, that's why I'm a little upset.

Does anyone reccommend a different phone or should I give this one another chance when I get a new one?

Any reasons?
Just don't want it if everybody thinks there are much better phones out. (I can't afford the newest ones though)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
accessibilitys91