Problem after problem.. help?

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I just got my Samsung Fascinate 2 days ago. This is my first time using the Android OS and I love it.

I rooted my phone the same day I got it, and I've had nothing but problems.

I plugged the phone in, got it rooted, put all the apps I wanted on it, and everything was running smoothly. Then I went to plug the phone in again, after it randomly reset a couple times? Now it won't connect via USB, I've tried a number of USB cords, multiple computers, and nothing does the trick. The phone doesn't display any indication of being connected via USB other than the fact that it's charging. The phone doesn't give me any mount options at all, and I've tried all of the 'fixes' online to no avail.

My question now is,
how do I undo the root (mind you, I can't connect to the pc) so I can take it back to the vzw store and get something else. Unless anyone has a recommendation. This is getting frustrating.

sparesr4sissies

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Have you checked the USB settings on your phone? I noticed that my computer doesn't recognize my phone as a mass storage drive when I have the "mass storage" option selected. I have to set it to "Ask on connection" then it works when I choose "mass storage" after plugging it in.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I just got my Samsung Fascinate 2 days ago. This is my first time using the Android OS and I love it.

I rooted my phone the same day I got it, and I've had nothing but problems.

I plugged the phone in, got it rooted, put all the apps I wanted on it, and everything was running smoothly. Then I went to plug the phone in again, after it randomly reset a couple times? Now it won't connect via USB, I've tried a number of USB cords, multiple computers, and nothing does the trick. The phone doesn't display any indication of being connected via USB other than the fact that it's charging. The phone doesn't give me any mount options at all, and I've tried all of the 'fixes' online to no avail.

My question now is,
how do I undo the root (mind you, I can't connect to the pc) so I can take it back to the vzw store and get something else. Unless anyone has a recommendation. This is getting frustrating.

this is not a root issue, try what was suggested about also put it in debugging mode
settings>applications>development>debugging

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Have you checked the USB settings on your phone? I noticed that my computer doesn't recognize my phone as a mass storage drive when I have the "mass storage" option selected. I have to set it to "Ask on connection" then it works when I choose "mass storage" after plugging it in.

Yeah, I've gone through all the modes.. mass soteage, ask, etc. I've tried going from debugging to regular, etc. I've also reset with debugging, among other things.

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the computer (I've tried several) but it has to do with the phone itself. It doesn't give me any options on the pull down notification bar. Acts like USB isn't connected.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I've gone through all the modes.. mass soteage, ask, etc. I've tried going from debugging to regular, etc. I've also reset with debugging, among other things.

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the computer (I've tried several) but it has to do with the phone itself. It doesn't give me any options on the pull down notification bar. Acts like USB isn't connected.

please let us know what build you are in
settings>about phone> build number and baseband, please give us those numbers

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
please let us know what build you are in
settings>about phone> build number and baseband, please give us those numbers

Build Number: SCH-I500.EA28

Baseband: S:i500.04 V.EA28

Firmware: 2.1-update1

Kernel:2.6.29

Thank you for the help guys..

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Build Number: SCH-I500.EA28

Baseband: S:i500.04 V.EA28

Firmware: 2.1-update1

Kernel:2.6.29

Thank you for the help guys..

yeah this was a normal bug for that build , it is for the most part fixed in froyo... a trick around this is leave the phone in debugging mode connected to the computer and reboot the phone while its still connected to the computer

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
yeah this was a normal bug for that build , it is for the most part fixed in froyo... a trick around this is leave the phone in debugging mode connected to the computer and reboot the phone while its still connected to the computer

Unfortunately I've tried this to no avail.

Any way to flash Froyo over with ODIN or a USB connection?

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure you have already checked this, but do you have the latest drivers?

Try uninstalling the drivers and then redownloading and installing them from here

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
My phone goes into the Downloading screen with the Android guy and shovel...but ODIN doesn't show anything at all.. My computer has drivers installed, my computer doesn't show signs of anything being connected.. and ODIN doesn't detect.

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I have the latest drivers. The phone itself literally shows nothing in the notification bar.. it acts like it's only plugged into a charger.

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Nope, only thing I've done is root. I literally just got the phone, that's why it's so frustrating.. I want to be able to use my USB cable to transfer things over, use Titanium backup, and get into this a bit more.. but I can't. ODIN doesn't even recognize it. Doing a hard reset did nothing, and rebooting in debugging mode while still connected isn't helping either.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I have never experienced USB connectivity issues myself, but I have also heard the following two solutions having positive effects:

- reboot PC while phone is plugged in
- create a new user account on your PC

MolecularGraph

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
This one is on your computer I bet, try installing drivers on another comp, then restart your phone while its plugged in. That was my problem, and Ive only got one comp, ended up going to a friends to fix my phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sgeneris