Problem with Bottom Speaker during Video playback

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
Whatever app I use for playing videos (Netflix, Youtube, samsung videoplayer), after 5 to 7 minutes, the volume on the bottom speaker clearly drops. There is still audio coming from it but there is a really noticeable drop such that the sound suddenly feels imbalanced when viewing content in landscape mode.

I've tested it out many times over the week. Samsung support only asked me to
  • do device maintenance in safe mode
  • reset app preferences
  • factory reset if nothing works

I haven't tried the last two options yet.

I'd like to know if someone else is facing the same problem.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I haven't encountered that problem. Both speakers are still loud & clear for me after 20 minutes of Netflix this evening.

kevb250

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Hey i am having the same problem but when i put it in safe mode it works fine so it has to be onw of the apps we have installed if you could make a list of apps you have installed and ill make one and we can prob narrow it down to which app might be causin it

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
Download an app called Hardware Test. Test each speaker individually in a non media app

I used the hardware test that comes with the Samsung Members app. It plays sounds on all the three speakers (top call speaker, top loud speaker, bottom loud speaker) and all sounds play just fine.

So, the speaker itself is working fine. And for the first 5 minutes of video playback it is loud and working well. That seems to rule out hardware problems.

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
Hey i am having the same problem but when i put it in safe mode it works fine so it has to be onw of the apps we have installed if you could make a list of apps you have installed and ill make one and we can prob narrow it down to which app might be causin it

That is a good catch. So, the problem doesn't happen in safe mode. This definitely suggests it is some app causing mischief.

Here are the apps I've installed:
Whatsapp
Instagram
Google Authenticator
Coinbase
LinkedIn
My Singtel (app for my telcom in Singapore)
Singtel Dash
Dropbox
Foodpanda
Keep (google)
LastPass
Netflix
VLC
Steam
Splitwise
Pocket
OCBC (banking app)
Perkd
PS App (Playstation)
Starbucks SG
Amazon Shopping
Carousell
Prime Video
Grab
OKCupid :)p)

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018
Visit site

I posted a response with a list of my apps. Waiting for mods to clear it.

catspyjamas

Sep 5, 2018
Visit site
I've just checked with Youtube and Netflix and both seem OK after 20-30 mins of playing.

If it's any help I can tell you which apps from your list I have installed so you can perhaps eliminate them from the mix.

I have: Instagram, LinkedIn, Dropbox, Google Keep, Netflix and Prime Video.

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
I've just checked with Youtube and Netflix and both seem OK after 20-30 mins of playing.

If it's any help I can tell you which apps from your list I have installed so you can perhaps eliminate them from the mix.

I have: Instagram, LinkedIn, Dropbox, Google Keep, Netflix and Prime Video.

Thanks. That narrows it down.

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
For anyone with the problem:

I visited a samsung service center in Singapore. The person assisting me tested the speakers but couldn't discern the drop in volume in the crowded and noisy environment.

She then consulted their lead technician and was told that they are aware of the problem and liaising with Korea and a software update will soon fix the issue. When asked when the update is to be expected, they said they do not know.

Frank Lin

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
@kevb250 - did the replacement have the same issue? In another forum someone reported their replacement had the same problem.

Seems like both Snapdragon and Exynos uses are getting this problem but it is difficult to know if it is a hardware or software defect with the amplifier. I suspect it might just be how the DSP is directing bass frequencies to the bottom speaker and it somehow loses it after a few minutes. I'm not sure if I'm just thinking things, but with the latest update it seems more constant and the volume dip is a little more subtle (if it's still there). For example in Horizon Chase it seems better - before the bottom speaker would die off really quickly with this game but somehow recover itself in a few minutes.

Frank Lin

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Still happening to me with the ARJ7 update, it actually seems worse with the past two updates. In some videos with mono narration, I notice the sibilant sounds pan left and right occasionally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blaze_3ds