Problems after 2.2 update - post here.

jnewell

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
As a data point, I've had no trouble with my BTHS since the Froyo update. It pairs and functions the same as it did with 2.1.

Chadwicky

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Titanium Restores Camera Issue after Hard Reset

So my main question is:
If I use Titanium to backup all my stuff, will restoring the settings bring me back to the same issues I'm having now?

Has anyone actually successfully done this???

I tried -- unfortunately Titanium Backup restored the camera issue! =(

Here's what I did using my using a rooted Samsung Fascinate.

1. Installed the OTA Froyo 2.2 update.
  2. Encountered the camera issue.
  3. Since the update "un-rooted" me I then re-rooted my phone so I could perform Titanium Backup.
  4. Backed up all my Apps (and system apps) + data using Titanium Backup (free). I unchecked camera, and camera firmware for the backup.
  5. Factory reset my phone.
  6. I tested the camera and it was correctly working.
  7. I installed Titanium Backup
  8. I performed a restore using Titanium Backup and unchecked camera and camera firmware for the restore.
  9. Shutdown my phone, and removed battery as well.
  10. Camera issue had returned, among others*.

*I also am having a WiFi issue, which I had in the past and was the original reason that I rooted -- to manually edit the wifi settings / use titanium to restore wifi to a working state.

I'm purchasing Titanium Backup Paid so that I can do a batch reinstall (pushing 'install' and then 'done' on each app is very tedious when restoring). Hopefully I can determine if:

H1: There is a system app that causes the problem upon restore.
H2: There is a user app that causes the problem upon restore.
H3: There is user or system data that causes the problem upon restore.

semmelbroesel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm purchasing Titanium Backup Paid so that I can do a batch reinstall (pushing 'install' and then 'done' on each app is very tedious when restoring).

Same here - I bought it, too for the same reason.
I won't get to experiment with partially restoring stuff until tomorrow night for a bit and then on the weekend, so if you have any type of information to report, please let us know.
I greatly appreciate you doing this, and I'm sure so will others.

I know that I have a few camera related apps installed, e.g. Google Goggles, Barcode Scanner and a few other camera apps, so that'll be on top of my list to try tomorrow, along with simply checking if the issue is caused by restoring a system setting or an app.

I can't quite imagine an app causing issues with a system app (you'd think the system itself was protected from this), but who knows...

Chadwicky

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Camera Issue Fixed via Partial Titanium Restore

Alright. Somehow, after tediously diligent troubleshooting I have successfully restored my apps via Titanium Backup onto my rooted Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate after the 2.2 Froyo OTA update WITHOUT breaking the camera. The camera and wifi are now both working perfectly.

Here is exactly what I did as I'm not sure what step was the key:

1. First, I factory reset my (rooted) phone.
  2. Second, I verified the camera and wifi are working correctly after the hard reset (again, see previous post).
  3. Next I Installed Titanium Backup (paid) and began to restore system data only, with the following unchecked:
    - Bing (because I was also trying to get Google to activate via search button*, which was a success -- see below*).
    - Bluetooth Pairings (just in case as i briefly noticed audio breaks when streaming Bluetooth, though wasn't sure if it was due to the 2.2 OTA update)
    - BluetoothTest 1.0
    - BrcmBluetoothServices 1.0
    - Camera 1.0
    - Camera Firmware 1.0
    - Swype (because I was angry at the added word library and 'hidden words' popups)
    - Wi-Fi Access Points
    - WlanTest 1.0.0
  4. Then I exited Titanium.
  5. Tested Camera and Wi-Fi -- successfully working still.
  6. Next I rebooted. Tested Camera and Wi-Fi again -- success.
  7. Now I opened Titanium and performed a restore of missing apps with data, except I did so in groups of about 50 -- then exiting Titanium, Testing camera / wi-fi, and then rebooting and testing both again. then repeat with the next group of 50. etc. (I had about 150 user apps total to restore, including the 15 below which I excluded for personal reasons or in case they were the culprit)
  8. During these grouped user app restores I left the following apps unchecked (including all just in case one of these is connected to other users' similar problems):
    - Network Info II 0.5.5
    - Claystone 1.0
    - Digi Clock Widget 3.0c
    - Androidify 1.01
    - Solar Winds Live Wallpaper 1.0
    - Talking Tom
    - OverDrive Media Console 2.2.00
    - PicSay 1.3.1 (left PicSay pro checked)
    - Smart App Protector Free 3.0
    - NetQFree
    - MortPlayer Audio Books 0.9.4a
    - Floating Image 2.8.10
    - AppBackupReinstall 1.6.9
    - File Expert 3.0.4
  9. After this I again tested, rebooted, and tested again.

It then successfully resolved my problems! All is back to normal, camera is fine, wi-fi is great. Still need to test my GPS connection accuracy and Bluetooth streaming quality.

*I also got the Search button on my Fascinate to revert to Google upon press by freezing the app in Titanium. At first it didn't seem to work, so I tried to uninstall 'Google Search', which returned an "uninstall unsuccessful" error. Then I pushed the search button and viola -- Google Search opens!!

? Double pressing the search button doesn't open Google Voice Search.... any ideas? No biggie though there's a button in Google Search for it =)

I hope this helps!!! I wanted to contribute to this issue as it was driving me crazy and rebuilding app data from scratch is so sad!

Sincerely,
Chadwicky

semmelbroesel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
During these grouped user app restores I left the following apps unchecked

Wow, thanks for the detailed description!!!
I only recognize one app from that list (PicSay), so I'll see what happens tonight.

Also glad that your system is now working!

Oh, my GPS has not suffered at all from the update - go figure...

semmelbroesel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
OK, the camera mystery MAY be solved now...

As mentioned before, I used Titanium Backup to restore parts of my apps and settings, and I may have found the one item NOT to restore...

First I restored all apps except for anything using the camera, then I rebooted.
Then I started restoring settings like accounts, contacts, calendar, sms and rebooted.
Camera still worked.

Then I restored the "Application Widgets" data, and the camera broke again!

I'm about to finish restoring all my apps and just a few system data bits again, but I won't be able to write in here if it worked til the weekend...

Chadwicky

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Then I restored the "Application Widgets" data, and the camera broke again!
Was this a system app/data? If so, I included it in my restore and it didn't cause my camera to break... You mention you use PicSay... I wonder if that is part of the problem as it may tie into camera features... it would be interesting to see if anyone can perform a restore with all apps except PicSay and see if that resolves the camera issue.
-Chadwicky

semmelbroesel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
See, now I'm confused, too - this time I left Android Widgets alone (yes, system data) and restored other settings - and again my camera broke. I do have all my camera apps installed this time, but until I restored system data, it worked... Bah...

I found a thread somewhere that says to NEVER restore system data between software upgrades, so maybe that's the issue...

I'll keep playing with it over the weekend.

astraelraen

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
The battery life in my wife's Fascinate is abysmal after 2.2.

We went on vacation last week and she had pretty much everything turned off unless she was using it, her phone usually lasted at least 12 hours before even being close to dead. Now we are back and she usually leaves wifi on all day since she is connected to wifi all the time. She uses her phone light to moderately each day. The past week her phone has lasted literally 6 hours each day before being in the red. Before the 2.2 update she only had to charge her phone once each night!

I'm convinced its the wifi radio and I guess the only recourse is to turn it off when not in use and hope Samsung comes up with an update.

GPS/3G/location services are off all the time.

denisavu

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Bluetooth pairing/sync to the car has stopped working after the update. It will go through the pairing process fine, but will de-pair itself automatically. What a PITA this has become. BTW, I am just running a rooted OTA ROM , nothing esoteric.

69Eliminator

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
The battery life in my wife's Fascinate is abysmal after 2.2.

We went on vacation last week and she had pretty much everything turned off unless she was using it, her phone usually lasted at least 12 hours before even being close to dead. Now we are back and she usually leaves wifi on all day since she is connected to wifi all the time. She uses her phone light to moderately each day. The past week her phone has lasted literally 6 hours each day before being in the red. Before the 2.2 update she only had to charge her phone once each night!

I'm convinced its the wifi radio and I guess the only recourse is to turn it off when not in use and hope Samsung comes up with an update.

GPS/3G/location services are off all the time.

I read somewhere on these forums that one person was able to improve their battery life by changing the wifi sleep policy. I too had really bad battery life after the OTA 2.2 update (I even used odin to revert back to stock and upgrade a second time as a test). If you want to give it a try, go to Settings - Wireless & Networks - Wi-Fi Settings - Advanced - Wi-Fi Sleep Policy. By default it was set to "Never" and I changed mine to sleep "When screen turns off". You mileage will vary but battery life definitely improved for me (I had previously done the battery calibration per another thread). I know that there are some other threads on how to improve battery life that may help out as well so you may want to check them out as well. As always, your mileage may vary but I hope it helps you out.

semmelbroesel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
My experience with battery life is that yes, it started out pretty badly right after the update, but now 2 weeks later my battery life is nearly back to what it was before the update.
I also seem to remember that the battery lasted maybe half a day when I first got the phone, and after a few weeks it went up to lasting all day most of the time.
According to stuff I read, changing the rom (i.e. updating) always "confuses" the battery (which has software of its own in it).

So my personal guess is that it manages to "get used" to the new situation over time.

Rmad

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Just for my 2cents. Bone stock OTA 2.2 update and somehow (knock on wood) I have had zero problems. My battery showed almost immediate improvement, flash/full web works, full camera,etc.etc.. no lag (maybe my imagination but "seems" faster) definitely fewer FC's/freezes. Guess I should pick some lotto #s.

semmelbroesel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Success!
I again wiped the phone, rooted it, then used Titanium Backup to restore stuff, and the camera still works!

I restored ALL my apps (the ones I got through the Market, not all system apps!), as well as the data only from the following system apps:
-Accounts
-[Bookmarks] Browser 2.2.1
-[SMS/MMS/APN] Dialer Storage 2.2.1
-Wi-Fi Access Points
-TwLauncher 2.2.1
Again, only data, and one by one, not using the batch feature.

Note that you do lose your regular phone settings, e.g. security and ringtones/notification sounds.
Note especially that if for some reason your phone should still recognize that you originally had the pattern security feature enabled, then right now ANY pattern will unlock it! Go into Settings - Security and remove all security, then re-enable pattern and set it again. I noticed that my phone was not secure at all at that time...

I also came across an interesting new ... feature - after activating my phone, it asked if I wanted to use Google backup features, and I said yes. Some time after that, the phone started downloading at least some of my apps from the Market and installing them - without ever asking me!
I don't know if this was related to me starting the Market (and then deciding "no, let's root first, then install titanium") or this Google backup feature... Just thought I'd point that out - the first time I ran into this, it took forever for Titanium to restore my backups because the phone was trying to do the same via downloads at the same time! This time, I waited for it to finish (plenty of downloads failed - why this isn't fixed, I don't know...), then I started Titanium to restore.

I hope this will help someone else.
I'll keep monitoring this thread, so if anyone would like more instructions on what I did please let me know.
Tomorrow, I'll probably try the same on my wife's phone which doesn't have 2.2 yet...

semmelbroesel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Heh, small update:
While the regular camera app is working now (no more "Please wait"), Google Goggles does not seem to work any longer - it froze my camera. No other camera program can access the camera after that crash...
After a minute (while I typed this), the camera reset itself, and the main camera app works again. So I'll have to try and uninstall/reinstall some other camera apps to see what happens.
But that's one major step closer :)

semmelbroesel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Again small update:
Uninstalled and reinstalled Google Goggles, and it is now working normally again.

So after all this effort, I now have a Froyo phone that seems to fully work.

semmelbroesel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
... and here's the weird thing:
My wife's phone (identical, purchased the same day):
a) refused to root while still on the old OS,
b) after running the OTA update to 2.2 seems to be running fine with no issues at all so far... Go figure...
(Yes, I was able to root it AFTER the update without a problem...)
Chances are we'll find an issue eventually, but none that was really obvious so far.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz