Putting sim back in old phone to start transfer data process again?😶

AndroidAmigo

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
I have transferred from a 16 gig Alcatel phone to a 64 gig Moto phone, and a lot of data didn't transfer such as WhatsApp messages and Crome bookmarks, so just wondering if l put the Sim back in the old phone can l on the second attempt get all data over?
Kindest regards!!

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
The SIM card doesn't have anything to do with the data on your phone, other than contacts and possibly text messages.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Chrome bookmarks should sync automatically as long as you've logged in with the same account and the sync toggle for Bookmarks is turned on in the Chrome Sync settings.

What version is the old Alcatel phone on? Older versions of Android may not support the more robust Google backup system that exists now, so that may be why your WhatsApp messages aren't backing up to Google. I don't use WhatsApp, so I don't know this for sure, but does it have a web version where you can see all of your messages?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. WhatsApp can only restore their own backups and you need to do that right when setting it up for the first time in your new phone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. WhatsApp can only restore their own backups and you need to do that right when setting it up for the first time in your new phone.
You can restore after you set-up the new device , just wait for the code to be sent to that number

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
You can restore after you set-up the new device , just wait for the code to be sent to that number
I think the OP means that they already set WhatsApp up in the new phone with the SIM card in and after it was complete they found out that the chats weren't restored.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You have to uninstall whatapp or clear data then send the text message to your number once you get the code it will ask to restore

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The sequence to set WhatsApp up in a new phone is:

Enter account (phone number).
Wait for SMS with the verification code.
Enter it (in most phones this is automatic)
And then select restore method (usually GDrive account). If you skip this step ot don't have a backup the restore can't be done afterwards.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I always choose in settings of whatapp>back up chats>back up now because a previous backup could been waiting for WiFi or didn't get the moment chats

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I always choose in settings of whatapp>back up chats>back up now because a previous backup could been waiting for WiFi or didn't get the moment chats
Exactly, that's the right thing to do in your phone before installing WhatsApp in a new one. You can even install WhatsApp in a new phone without SIM card as long as it's working in any other phone so you can read the verification code.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Exactly, that's the right thing to do in your phone before installing WhatsApp in a new one. You can even install WhatsApp in a new phone without SIM card as long as it's working in any other phone so you can read the verification code.
Yup