Question about Dex

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Ok. I'm pretty good with phone tech, but I've never used Dex. I heard the Note 9 has Dex built in, but the guy at Best Buy said we still need the Dex base for the HDMI cable to hook it to a monitor.

If it's built in and the Note 8 didn't have it built in, what's the difference ? Just curious - what does the Note 8 need that the Note 9 doesn't for Dex to work - a different Dex base?

I'm definitely going to be looking into this for my Note 9.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Ok. I'm pretty good with phone tech, but I've never used Dex. I heard the Note 9 has Dex built in, but the guy at Best Buy said we still need the Dex base for the HDMI cable to hook it to a monitor.

If it's built in and the Note 8 didn't have it built in, what's the difference ? Just curious - what does the Note 8 need that the Note 9 doesn't for Dex to work - a different Dex base?

I'm definitely going to be looking into this for my Note 9.

Note 8 doesn't have Dex built in hence the need to dock it on the Dex Dock, Note 9 has Dex built in to the phone so the only thing needed is the adapter, a (USB C to HDMI) to hook it up to the Monitor/TV.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Note 8 doesn't have Dex built in hence the need to dock it on the Dex Dock, Note 9 has Dex built in to the phone so the only thing needed is the adapter, a (USB C to HDMI) to hook it up to the Monitor/TV.
Ok - so the Dex base is more of a convenience for the Note 9, not a necessity. THe adapter I'm sure is much cheaper than the base. Base was only $99 at Best Buy. The sales guy claimed the base was needed in order for Dex to work on the Note 9.

They probably have the adapter there I'm sure.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Ok - so the Dex base is more of a convenience for the Note 9, not a necessity. THe adapter I'm sure is much cheaper than the base. Base was only $99 at Best Buy. The sales guy claimed the base was needed in order for Dex to work on the Note 9.

They probably have the adapter there I'm sure.

I think the Samsung official adapter is pretty expensive as far as I know, I suppose it's up to you which route you go if you are looking at Dex, also one thing to Note is there is a built in fan in the Dock base which would help in intensive apps, which obviously isn't available when just using the adapter.

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Any usb c to HDMI will get you into Dex with the Note 9. Dex is sometning that I want to love but am still having a hard time with because of how many holes there are in the OS. It has potential but I'm still waiting for the big update where it gains the functionality it needs

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Since I don't have the Note 9 in my possession for a few more hours, I can't say for certain. However I think the dude at Best Buy is wrong. From the demo at the unpacked event, it would seem you do not need the DeX station. I already have one so I'm gonna use it. But I think you can just buy a USB-C to HDMI adapter for $15 or so on Amazon, and it should work.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
The Best Buy guy is 100% wrong. Not needing the base was considered a major feature of the Note 9.

The software is built into the OS, the Dex Pad for any of the devices is only providing a charging station, cooling system, and ports for keyboard, etc. There are several videos on YouTube of people running Dex on a Note 8 without the pad ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78MwJmJ5IUw )

The reason the Note 9 doesn't need the pad is strictly the new cooling system.