Question for those who switched from Palm Pre

jjeffcoat

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
yea trust me, i came from the pixi then to the pre and then to the evo and now epic. o and had some bb's as well and nothing can touch the greatness that is epic! however i was talking to my friend at sprint and he said some store might be able to transfer the texts but wasnt sure...

How does the Epic compare to the Evo?

lbm323

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
i really enjoyed my pre and web os and after having the epic for about 3 months i can say i prefer Web OS over android. Web OS seemed smoother and more intuative however the hardware did lack and the community was alot smaller. Because of that i will stick with android. But if webs os had the same number of apps and as good hardware i would totally go back.

Chief85

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Well, about a week later and I can say that I am enamored with this phone. Coming from the ridiculously limited Pre hardware, I never knew how great having a phone this...functional...could be. It just zips along, and even gets way better battery life than my Pre!

I would consider going back to WebOS with some nice hardware and a lot more developer interest, but for now, the Epic and Android are treating me quite well.

psm9

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree. I loved WebOS, but he Epic (even on 2.1) is a way better device. My wife's Pre just feels and looks cheap in comparison. WebOS has good potential, but in the end, it still lacks. I'd love to see if HP can get their act together, but until then, I love the Epic

mister2quick

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
After getting the Epic and asking if i can get the texts transferred, no, it is not possible. But to be completely honest, why would you? The epic will truncate them eventually anyway.

I came from the Pre and I can say I LOVED the WebOS notification bar. I sold my girlfriend on a pixi, which is now giving her problems (speed related) but besides the whole lack of apps reason, I switched because the hardware was garbage. I went through 4 Pre's and the last one is the reason I switched: the power button stopped working because the P.O.S. plasting "spring" wore out. If Android (or a dev!) can "copy" that notification bar, I'd be in android-bliss!

Chief85

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
After getting the Epic and asking if i can get the texts transferred, no, it is not possible. But to be completely honest, why would you? The epic will truncate them eventually anyway.

I came from the Pre and I can say I LOVED the WebOS notification bar. I sold my girlfriend on a pixi, which is now giving her problems (speed related) but besides the whole lack of apps reason, I switched because the hardware was garbage. I went through 4 Pre's and the last one is the reason I switched: the power button stopped working because the P.O.S. plasting "spring" wore out. If Android (or a dev!) can "copy" that notification bar, I'd be in android-bliss!

Why will the Epic eventually truncate? I turned off the "delete old messages" option. Like I said, I wanted to keep them for sentimental reasons.

BBooDad

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Using Pre SMOKES the Epic.

Epic hardware and medical reference texts SMOKE the Pre.

Hopefully, HP will get Palm's head out of the sand and produce some hardware that sells to several million people a year, and then the big medical software companies will get behind WebOS again. Until then... Android chaos, rooting, Clockworking, praying that one of the backups will work if needed, and crappy email/calendar apps that aren't well integrated.

HOWEVER - the Android Forums like this one are very helpful. Saved my bacon once when I thought I bricked my Epic after installing the "Official Froyo" DK28 update.zip. Patching Pre is easier, but Android users are a great bunch to work with.

Last edited:

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I went Evo, then Epic (within 30 days) after 6 Pre's. Had been Palm, and loyal, since the 650.

I will never go back, I do not care what HP says or produces. And I forgot
how behind the times the Pre was when I was helping my son's friend with his.

My Epic came with just about everything I had to tweak, read about, and hack, maybe doctor. The apps, can find and use so many. Yes, there are a lot of useless one, thousands, but there are also so many things that are.

Developers will never go back to HP and WebOS, there are no numbers left, no money in it. Android is growing by 100's of percents year over year, so it would make sense to keep time and money in a growing ship, not sinking (as did my stock, etc).

Stay loyal, if it does what you need and actually works, great. But I was too loyal for too long, now I have so much more flexibility, it is worth it to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katiebaby3110