Question on LTE vs 4G+Symbol

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Whenever my Oneplus 3 is idle it SHOWS The LTE symbol, as soon as I use anything that uses data, AC app, Google search, weather, email, it always drops to 4G or 4G+, it doesn't matter where I am in the state I live in, I'm on AT&T in Florida USA. Anyone else seeing this?

doa70

May 1, 2016
Visit site
This just started happening for me as well recently after swapping some sims around. Same issue on both AT&T and T-Mobile. Previously I would see LTE mode while using data.

doa70

May 1, 2016
Visit site
I actually did this over a few days, multiple tests for each sim (T-Mobile, AT&T). Both sims change - according to the indicator - from LTE to 4G+ when in use. My average DL speeds on AT&T were around 6 Mb/s. On T-Mobile my average DL speeds were around 38 Mb/s. Huge difference.

I mention "according to the indicator" because we are trusting what that indicator is saying. We are - or at least I am - trusting that recent updates from OP haven't changed the behavior of that indicator. That is entirely possible but I wouldn't know how to test that or the accuracy of that indicator.

JonnyT

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
4G is LTE; as in, LTE (Long Term Evolution) is the 4th Generation of Mobile Networks.

4G+ is LTE-Advanced, and if you're lucky to have a carrier that supports it, your speeds should be pretty good :)

Next year, Telstra are deploying an LTE-Advanced Pro network delivering 1Gbps and Qualcomm have the modem to match it and say it'll be available in the next Snapdragon 800 series. Exciting stuff!

doa70

May 1, 2016
Visit site
4G+ is LTE-Advanced, and if you're lucky to have a carrier that supports it, your speeds should be pretty good :)

So this is kind of what I've been wondering about actually. I guess I still don't understand why the phone needs to switch between LTE and 4G+, but perhaps this isn't a case of it "dropping back" but actually leveraging an improved network feature.