Question...

FatalIll

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I skimmed through the posts in this forum already to find out as much as I could about the Evo on Virgin and Im still left wondering

is it a good switch from the Optimus (Currently Backside IHO latest w/ CWM)?
Some people have said it isnt worth it because it isnt TRUE 4g, its wimax. Ok... well does the phone become useless when Sprint/VM switches to LTE? Or will the phone utilize those services?

I live on Long Island, so 3g isnt the greatest but it works, I'm on wifi most of the time unless Im at work or driving.

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Virgin probably never will switch to LTE, WiMax is contracted through Sprint until at least 2015... so if you think you're going to have the phone for more than 3 years, only then you should actually be concerned.

WiMax was the first higher speed non 3G tech out there. It's solid where there is service. It's just not nationwide. People calling it not true 4G are ignorant and trying to justify what marketing told them. WiMax is more 4G than what TMobile and AT&T have been calling 4G before LTE came around.

That said. My WiMax speeds are *28 times higher* than my 3G speeds on Virgin.

Area: Metro Chicago.

3G: 198 ping, 235kbps Down, 102kbps Up.

4G: 85ms ping, 6610kbps Down, 1061kbps Up.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Virgin probably never will switch to LTE, WiMax is contracted through Sprint until at least 2015... so if you think you're going to have the phone for more than 3 years, only then you should actually be concerned.

WiMax was the first higher speed non 3G tech out there. It's solid where there is service. It's just not nationwide. People calling it not true 4G are ignorant and trying to justify what marketing told them. WiMax is more 4G than what TMobile and AT&T have been calling 4G before LTE came around.

That said. My WiMax speeds are *28 times higher* than my 3G speeds on Virgin.

Area: Metro Chicago.

3G: 198 ping, 235kbps Down, 102kbps Up.

4G: 85ms ping, 6610kbps Down, 1061kbps Up.

Thank you for clarifying this. Lots of ignorant people on here pooping on Sprint 4G and saying its just awful, when what they are really protesting is the coverage AREA

FatalIll

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Also, I watched some Engadget videos and Sprint has said nothing has been changed on the phone except for VM branding and software. Does that mean I can use a Evo 3d case, not one specific to this phone? same with screen protectors?

Nerfdude

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Also, I watched some Engadget videos and Sprint has said nothing has been changed on the phone except for VM branding and software. Does that mean I can use a Evo 3d case, not one specific to this phone? same with screen protectors?

They didn't even change the branding. It's the same phone.

SiRMArlon

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I just picked mine up today from my local Radio Shack. :) It doesn't have any Virgin Mobile branding on it. It has the sprint logo on the front. Over all I am really happy with my upgrade. I was on a Optimus V. This is WAYYYY better. No regrets!

I am about to root the sucker right now. :)

Kale Blossom

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Ahahahhahaha, I had the intercept until last december, had been eyeing the triumph and pounced on it when it was on sale before christmas(got best buy to match VM's official price so I wouldn't have to wait for shipping).

Now I wish I had stuck with the piece of crap intercept for just a bit longer. Oh well, if my friend never gets around to mailing me his old OV(he moved to verizon), I might just have to upgrade and hook my friend up with the triumph ;P

In reality I really should check the 4g coverage tho.

And by how time has passed, the summer is when VM is releasing their great phones so if I can stick with my phone until then- then I will have put 1.5 years on my current one....

Augh so jelly xD

greysonbotts

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Check out clear.com for accurate WiMAX coverage
Virgin and boost will actually probably get lte a year or so after Sprint turns it on, otherwise what phones will they be able to hand down to us? It's just evolution

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692