Questions before buying LG V30

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I am looking to buy a new secondhand phone, and the V30 fits a lot of my criteria, particularly the screen aspect ratio as I want something I can watch video when commuting and the 18:9 is a good middle ground between the now standard 19.5:9 which is too wide and 16:9, which isn't available larger sizes.

Then I saw an article on androidguys.com "LG V30 at six months" (this forum is not letting me post the link) claiming the display is poor in low light levels and the glass on the front & back is very fragile. Elsewhere, I remember reading that the screen is difficult to see in bright sunlight.

Interested to hear users views on this. What are contrast ratio's like in low light levels? What are the brightness levels like? How does it perform in bright sunlight?

I also take their comments on the build quality into account. I don't want to put the phone in a heavy case. Are light cases available that rise up over the curvature of the screen? I had a Galaxy S8+ for a while and it just didn't feel protected without a case covering the curved bit, and in a folio/wallet type case was far too clunky to carry around. The curves are only slight on the V30, so I hope this will be less of a problem?

Any other things to be aware of when buying 2nd hand? Does the battery life stand up?

paddyb2

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

I am a member, but just noticed I wasn't signed in. Not sure why the message got posted if I wasn't registered, never had that on a forum before! I am now logged in and ready to "engage with others", as I was when I first sent this!

Last edited:

paddyb2

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

I am a member (have been for years), but just noticed I wasn't signed in. Not sure why the message got posted if I wasn't logged in, never had that on a forum before! I am now logged in and ready to "engage with others", as I was when I first sent this!

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Yes, the glass back could be fragile. It is a little slick to the touch. To handle both, I use a relatively thin "Spigen Neo Hybrid" case. The case does sit higher than the screen at the top and bottom ends. I don't use any screen protectors.

I spend half of the summer weekends on the beach. I have not noticed any problems with the screen in bright light that the auto-brightness could not handle. However, I am normally busy doing other things as to not be checking my phone more than once an hour.

I also have no complaints with the screen in low light. If I don't like what the auto-brightness is giving me, I will nudge things a little brighter for photos and videos.

The white-coated guys in the lab may find some faults with the screen. However, the real-world usage is quite nice.

The battery usage is great. The big beautiful screen is going to suck up lots of power at bright levels. Photos and videos obviously use more power than text.

The DAC sound system is great.
The SD card slot is handy for your media files.

I got my V30 in Oct 2017. I have no plans to upgrade any time soon.

paddyb2

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

I don't understand why manufacturers are so obsessed with putting glass backs on their phones. Most people are going to put a case over it!

Are there any cases that rise over the edges at the side as well as the top and bottom? In theory this isn't strictly necessary, but feel happier if they were. Not keen on screen protectors, but there's a decent one available that fits properly and doesn't bubble, I'll give it a go.

Do you see a blueish tint when viewing at an angle? That seems to be one of the biggest criticisms.

I understand its the same panel as the Pixel 2XL, which had a lot of negative reviews of its screen. There's was some mention that this was down to calibration and partly improved with software updates.
Is there a "saturated" or "vivid" mode on the V30?

Tomsguide liked both the screen and the durability:
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/lg-v30,review-4753.html

DFranch

May 22, 2014
Visit site
The review's at launch were brutal, mostly trashing the display. I almost didn't get the phone because of it. I'm glad I didn't listen to the reviews. It appeared to be mostly pre-production units that reviewers received which had the problem (which the review you posted seemed to be based on), but you can't put lightening back in the bottle. I've had 0 issues with my screen and I've had mine since about 1 month after launch (almost 18 months). I use auto brightness, and I favor LG's settings over Samsung (Auto is too bright on the samsung phones I've used). The battery life is amazing. I get 2 days on a charge with 5+ hours screen time. You're right about the aspect ratio, 18:9 is perfect. I was worried about changing from 16:9, but never even thought about it again after I got the phone. I'm not sure about the 19.5:9 phones that seem to be gaining popularaty.

On the durability front, I have my phone in a very minimal case https://www.amazon.com/Slim-Case-LG...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6516422

I've dropped it a couple of times and maybe I've been lucky, but no cracks. It seems to be about as durable as any glass phone I've used.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Don't get hung up on the screen. Reviewers never show LG any love. In my experience, it is just as good as a Samsung phone. I personally love LG's skin on android. My only problem with the V30, was it didn't seem to get a good signal in my area. I have AT&T, and in my research, it seemed to be only on that network. I switched over to the Galaxy S9+ a few months ago, and actually miss the V30. Most people on here don't seem to have a problem with signal strength, but I assume that they don't have AT&T.

paddyb2

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks both

Pretty much decided I'm going to get one!

One more, question, so there were screen issues with the pre-production models. Were these rectified before they went on sale, or would early retail versions still have problems. A seller on ebay has given me the IMIE no, which gives Esndate of 14/12/17 and Esnoutgofdate of 20171221. I'm guessing these are manufacture dates? Would prefer a newer one, but looking a for a blue one and there aren't many on offer at the moment.

paddyb2

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone tell me the actual part number for the B&O headphones this comes with They are on at all sorts of prices on eBay. Just trying to work out how much value they add as not all deals include them.

paddyb2

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Do your phones have the blue shift like in this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kizJnKRH2BE

My concern is that watching videos on train journeys (which I do a lot!), it will be at an angle on the table (I won't be holding it in my hand), so I might not be looking directly at it.

I also wanted to throw the G7 into the mix. I can get a new "Fit" or 2nd hand ThinQ for about the same as a 2nd hand V30, the Brightness Boost might come in useful on those train journeys when the sun is streaming in though the windows.

It's a 19.5:9 ratio, but if I can turn the notch of off, I reckon it won't be too far off 18:9. What I can't find in any spec sheets is the actual horizontal and vertical screen measurements, if the vertical (when viewing) equals the V30, then this might be a better option. Can any of you get these measurements so I can compare?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Do your phones have the blue shift like in this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kizJnKRH2BE

My concern is that watching videos on train journeys (which I do a lot!), it will be at an angle on the table (I won't be holding it in my hand), so I might not be looking directly at it.

If you view at a big enough angle, say 60+ degrees, yes you do get a blue color shift on white backgrounds. For pics and videos, it is probably more noticeable to see the contrast and saturation fall off. For me, I would find it uncomfortable to be viewing a movie at any angle needed to see the color shift.

All that said, I tend to run my screen a bit warmer than the default since that tends to get the correct white balance for my pictures, which probably makes the cool/blue color shift more noticeable.

paddyb2

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your feedback.

I've bitten the bullet & bought one on fleabay, so I'll find out for myself when it arrives, but I think I'll love it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred