Random photos popping up on my phone...

DeeNewberry

Jan 21, 2018
Visit site
Hello, I downloading new photos onto my laptop, and saw 5 photos on the list of new photos that I did not take. I'll list 3. One was a man that I do not know who had a surgical mask pulled down under his chin, the next was a woman I did not know, and the next was a bit disturbing, it was a person with a full white mask covering their face, and the photo was turned sideways. The person looked odd. After i selected the new photos to down load in my laptop (These were not downloaded) I disconnected my phone from my laptop, and looked for the photos in gallery, and could not find them. I could not find them anywhere in my phone. Does anyone know what could have caused this. Also my carrier was one of which suffered a massive data breach, could this be it? What can I do to find, and delete the photos, or what ever it is. TIA.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
These are all likely images that other apps cached for their own use. If you used the Windows Explorer "Import all pictures/videos" command, it will bring over every single image, which can include those used by apps.

Use a file manager app (not the gallery app) to look through all user-accessible directories. Those images will probably be in a directory that is associated with an app. In any case, I wouldn't worry about it -- this is common.

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
These are all likely images that other apps cached for their own use. If you used the Windows Explorer "Import all pictures/videos" command, it will bring over every single image, which can include those used by apps.

Use a file manager app (not the gallery app) to look through all user-accessible directories. Those images will probably be in a directory that is associated with an app. In any case, I wouldn't worry about it -- this is common.
My esteemed colleague Mr. B Diddy is correct about other app sometimes adding random photos to a gallery.

With a previous Android phone, occasionally I kept finding random images and shapes in my Google Photos gallery. Eventually I figured out that Google Photos was automatically backing up images of advertisements from one of my web browsers and random images and advertisements from one of the games on my phone.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I downloading new photos onto my laptop, and saw 5 photos on the list of new photos that I did not take. I'll list 3. One was a man that I do not know who had a surgical mask pulled down under his chin, the next was a woman I did not know, and the next was a bit disturbing, it was a person with a full white mask covering their face, and the photo was turned sideways. The person looked odd. After i selected the new photos to down load in my laptop (These were not downloaded) I disconnected my phone from my laptop, and looked for the photos in gallery, and could not find them. I could not find them anywhere in my phone. Does anyone know what could have caused this. Also my carrier was one of which suffered a massive data breach, could this be it? What can I do to find, and delete the photos, or what ever it is. TIA.
Also, in most cases those random pics come from third party video/photo editors, like Viva Video. See if you have any similar app installed in your phone.