Random Ringtone Changes

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else experience their alarm tones, contact specific tones, and/or their general ringtones changing after connecting/disconnecting from USB storage and powering off/on (rebooting) phone?

None of my designated ringtones seem to want to stick.

Anyone else?

Also, it seems the phone doesn't show your music list in settings when trying to assign ringtones unless you set it as default ringtone in the Music app first. Am I just putting my MP3s in the wrong folder, or something?

miniZ

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I have not had that change. But, I have had my wallpaper change. This phone seems to be reverting back to factory in random ways for different people..

clrdalane

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar problem. Everytime I would reboot the phone or connect it to a PC my ringtones would change to random other ones. I figured it had to do with it unmounting and remounting the internal Flash memory.

All the solutions I found online suggested rooting the phone so I could transfer my ringtones and notifications to the system "partition". I don't want to root my phone...just yet...so I tried something else..

For ****'s and giggles I moved them from sdcard/media/audio/ringtones (or notifications) to the root of the sdcard folder (ex. sdcard/ringtones)

I have restarted my phone...removed the battery for a full minute....plugged it into several computers and mounted the USB drive....

All my tones stay the same now.

Hope this helps you, too

kane247

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
This seems totally random, I have tried all kind of fixes, none have worked for me. Seems personal ringtones have been around for years, how this has happened and has not yet been fixed is beyond me.

What I have found is that after rebooting or disconnecting USB mass storage I check my ringtones (just the default is sufficient), if they all have changed I reboot again and they go back to where they are supposed to be. Check this out and let me know if it is just my phone or does it revert back for others.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Bump.

@mods and/or editors of Android Central, any chance you'll run a story about this random custom ringtone changing glitch; similarly to stories ran about the reboots during phone calls or the SMS bug? As you can see in the report (Issue 13413 - android - Ringtones assigned to contacts do not maintain assignment after a reboot. - Project Hosting on Google Code) it's an issue that plagues many (if not all) Nexus S owners. It's been corroborated by other owners at other forums and threads as well.

I think running a story on it might garner more attention to/from Google.

While we're at it, also this: http://forum.androidcentral.com/samsung-nexus-s/60597-gingerbread-keyboard-issue-discovered.html I've even made a video of this particular problem.

Would be fantastic if either request could be seen reported.

joe767

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I too experience this issue. Thought it was me so I reset the phone back to factory settings. Don't know why but after I added music and had my memory filled up to about 10GB the phone slowed to a crawl. I even called samsung and they had no clue. Got to tell you guys I'm very disappointed with this phone. The occasional reboots during calls is also another issue. Wish I kept my Nexus One.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I too experience this issue. Thought it was me so I reset the phone back to factory settings. Don't know why but after I added music and had my memory filled up to about 10GB the phone slowed to a crawl. I even called samsung and they had no clue. Got to tell you guys I'm very disappointed with this phone. The occasional reboots during calls is also another issue. Wish I kept my Nexus One.

I am lucky enough to not have experienced rebooting during calls, but the random custom ringtone changes, and other glitches, especially with the keyboard (http://forum.androidcentral.com/samsung-nexus-s/60597-gingerbread-keyboard-issue-discovered.html) really hampers my experience as well. I'm prevented from truly enjoying this phone.

And there are no more OEM skins to use as scapegoat for these issues. It's Android.

gladeslvr

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar problem. Everytime I would reboot the phone or connect it to a PC my ringtones would change to random other ones. I figured it had to do with it unmounting and remounting the internal Flash memory.

All the solutions I found online suggested rooting the phone so I could transfer my ringtones and notifications to the system "partition". I don't want to root my phone...just yet...so I tried something else..

For ****'s and giggles I moved them from sdcard/media/audio/ringtones (or notifications) to the root of the sdcard folder (ex. sdcard/ringtones)

I have restarted my phone...removed the battery for a full minute....plugged it into several computers and mounted the USB drive....

All my tones stay the same now.

Hope this helps you, too

Does this not work? Anyone else try it before I give it a shot???

1hen2ducks

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Does this not work? Anyone else try it before I give it a shot???

Rooted Skyrocket; Tried it with no effect. Tried random pasting of ringtones in several strategic places also with no luck.
. I sure wish I could like this phone but I cannot !

PM me with the cure.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackybeny