Reading texts out loud (while driving, for example)

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Light flow app has TTS feature now(release few months ago).

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ng.android.lightflowlite&hl=en&token=CQjeTmKl

I enabled TTS service for sms, whatsapp and hangouts. It will read out the message to your when u get any notification.

Now i enabled to only read when i connect to my cars bluetooth. Its works like a charm.

you might need to tweak the setting to make the TTS louder than music and thats in the settings

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
FWIW -- the app "Drivemode" also handles automatic driving-detection, ability to be notified & respond to Hangouts/Texts (and like 5 other email/messaging apps) -- and it's free.
The interface is very easy to use AND it tells me what app i'm touching/accessing audibly. "Music..Apps..Navigation..Settings" --
In my opinion, I prefer it to Android Auto.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
FWIW -- the app "Drivemode" also handles automatic driving-detection, ability to be notified & respond to Hangouts/Texts (and like 5 other email/messaging apps) -- and it's free.
The interface is very easy to use AND it tells me what app i'm touching/accessing audibly. "Music..Apps..Navigation..Settings" --
In my opinion, I prefer it to Android Auto.
Thanks for the recommendation! Excellent application that I'll be using in place of Android Auto as well.

orionsweb

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
FYI
Google Assistant v. 7.3.26.xx has no issues with reading texts... when you hear a notification, simply say, "Ok Google", "Read Text"
It brings it up, tells you who it's from, reads it then asks, "Would you like to reply, or is that it for now?" respond "reply" and voice your reply..

Mark Kaplan

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
Coming over from WP, I really miss Cortana for this function. I am hoping MSFT adds this functionality to the Android version. It is seamless when driving and you never have to look at your screen at all.

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Android Auto will play your messages. And it will ask you if you want to reply. Allo messages work with AA if you install Hangouts. ????? I believe you can also ask it to play your last message. But, I never can get the wording right to make it do it.

Mark Kaplan

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
Android Auto will play your messages. And it will ask you if you want to reply. Allo messages work with AA if you install Hangouts. ????? I believe you can also ask it to play your last message. But, I never can get the wording right to make it do it.

I'm looking forward to trying Android Auto once I can upgrade my car. It's too old and not supported.

Sandra Milo

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes!!! I miss my Windows phone for exactly this functionality. Used it all the time. Was shocked when I got a Pixel 2 and couldn't do this. The Android version of Cortana can't either. I'm so frustrated.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Assistant has matured over time. I've ditched Drivemode because I was getting inconsistent results with trying to give voice commands to it (I suspect it was the result of my car's audio system, there was a delay between when the device was actually listening and when I was given an audible cue to speak).

With Assistant I'm able to listen to texts just fine as long as I know they've come in - my notification on my fitness watch is how I can normally tell, otherwise I rely on the sound of the notification chime. Once I know that I've got a text message I either press my voice command button on my steering wheel or I say "Ok Google" to bring up Assistant. Conversation basically can go like this:

me: Ok Google
(audible prompt):
me: "What's my last message?"
assistant: "You have one last text message, its from ____, do you want to hear it?"
me: "Yes."
assistant: "It says ______, do you want to reply, repeat it, or is that it for now?"

At that point I can ask assistant to reply, to repeat the message to me or say "That's it." to end.

If I ask assistant to reply it will dictate my message but it won't repeat it to me, instead it will just say "Got it. Do you want to send it or change it?" at which point I can say "What does it say?" . . Assistant will then read the message to me and ask if I want to send it or change it, which I can do via voice commands (or I can even say cancel).

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I can't get my Honda Pilot 2017 to speak over audio speaker. I can make phone calls using Assistant on my phone but I have to use the phone to do so which defeats the whole process. . I can't get messages read to me because the car doesn't have Android Auto. I have tried Drivermode?? App but again won't work over car speaker so useless. Drivermode is only good if I get a text and it replies to text " I am driving and will get back to you"

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Have you verified that audio recording for voice commands is enabled over bluetooth ?

It's sort of buried. Here's how I found it on my Pixel XL: Say OK Google, when the card comes up tap blue the tray on the upper right corner, on the next screen tap the 3-dot menu on the upper right, select settings, under "Devices" select your Pixel, then scroll to "Other Voice Settings" and find "Bluetooth Headset" option and turn it on.

leehardballer12

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I actually did get in trouble with that when I had my Droid Turbo set up to read texts out loud while driving. Not that I did anything wrong, but it caused a very awkward situation... I immediately turned it off, and have never used the feature since...

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah i don't think i ever want texts read to me automatically. I spend too much drive time with others in the car so I'd rather respect that time and attention i have from them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alakmalak