Reasons For Picking The 3 vs 3xl

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
P3 has enough improvements for me to stick with the smaller one. Last years P2 had a 2700 mAh battery and a 5 in. Display. The P3 has 2900+ battery and a 5.5 in. display (w/o notch). For me 5.5 could work

100% Agree. I would also stick with the smaller version. There is a notchable improvement. Lol. I tried to hard there.

Luckily we are not giving up much with the smaller version. Google isn't like Apple and dont hoard a couple features for the more expensive version. So my vote is definitely for the smaller version. :)

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Smaller phones are growing on me again. The s9 was 5.8 inches but still quite small compared to bigger screen devices. I love the feel in hand of the s9 and it looks like the regular pixel 3 will be just as easy to use one handed as the s9. BUT I'm getting older and my eyesight ain't what it was. Bigger display equals less squinting and pinch to zooming to read text. Initially I felt the smaller pixel 3 would be a no brainer. But since you can hide the notch, the pixel 3xl is now in play again. I'll be heading down to my local best buy and see and feel both for myself before deciding.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
100% Agree. I would also stick with the smaller version. There is a notchable improvement. Lol. I tried to hard there.

Luckily we are not giving up much with the smaller version. Google isn't like Apple and dont hoard a couple features for the more expensive version. So my vote is definitely for the smaller version. :)

Exactly. I like that all features on P3XL you'll find on P3. The only difference is screen size and battery.

sanjula01

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
Wanted to hear inputs about why you chose one over the other because base option on storage is only 100.00 difference

I really like the looks of the Pixel 3 as opposed to the 3 XL. Except for battery life, which hopefully won't see a big difference, I think the Pixel 3 is for me

calvinnbs

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I really like the looks of the Pixel 3 as opposed to the 3 XL. Except for battery life, which hopefully won't see a big difference, I think the Pixel 3 is for me

I'm going to hold out and see what real-life battery differences exist. If the bigger screen doesn't eat proportionally more battery the extended life will be worth it for me.

wolf_clan

Jul 2, 2018
Visit site
P3 has enough improvements for me to stick with the smaller one. Last years P2 had a 2700 mAh battery and a 5 in. Display. The P3 has 2900+ battery and a 5.5 in. display (w/o notch). For me 5.5 could work

Same thoughts here. I want/need something completely pocketable and onehandable.

ndonnine

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Pixel 2 was the perfect size. I am on a pixel 2 xl because I wanted a bigger screen for watching youtube/football on. Now that the Pixel 3 is the size of the Pixel 2 but the screen is larger, that's my go-to. If they had make the 5.5" screen in the pixel 2 I would still be using that.

ndonnine

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site

We don't know the battery life yet but the Pixel 2 lasts more than a day on pretty heavy use.

Mark Gonska

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I just have a problem of Google bumping the price $150 in one model year and with only 4/64GB. For this reason as much as I'd like the baby P I won't pick it up unless a deal pops. I will not pay $799, not because I can't but because I'd feel like a sucker.

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Going from the Blaze 7 (Note7) to the Note8 to the Pixel 2XL to the 3XL. I think the notch will grow on me and I enjoy a larger device. While I don't have huge hands they are larger than normal. I have never had an issue with any of the above mentioned phones fitting in my pocket.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I just have a problem of Google bumping the price $150 in one model year and with only 4/64GB. For this reason as much as I'd like the baby P I won't pick it up unless a deal pops. I will not pay $799, not because I can't but because I'd feel like a sucker.

As some have mentioned they could've raised the price last year when they bumped the storage capacities over the original Pixels but they kept the same price. So this year they bumped the price with the same storage, but they also added a bunch of other stuff, probably more than they did last year. Really other than front facing speakers an Visual Core, they didn't add a whole lot hardware-wise. And the Visual Core last year only helped on thrid party apps, this year it's being utilized by Google's own software.

Something else to consider (as I did when I pre-ordered) is that if this trade war keeps going, we might see the prices jump for no reason other than tariffs. Pixels are being manufactured at Foxconn in China, and the next round of tariffs were set to target technology. If a 25% tariff happens, that's a much larger bump than this.