Recording video using HEVC... same quality?

rolexreviews

Feb 23, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone, I have a crazy question and I'm hoping someone could shine some light on this because after a Google search it comes down to camera and encoding etc no real universal answer it seems.

Is there a loss of quality when switching the camera to HEVC? because from my testing it does save a decent amount of storage (planning on doing a lot of 4k footage that's the whole reason I purchased this phone)

If there's a tiny dip in quality I'm fine with that because YouTube no matter what does a little damage to a video so I don't mind. As long as it's not night and day difference because it's too hard for me to test out on my own (I've tried on phone and can't really tell but the screen is set at 1080p+ so I don't think I would be able to tell until a 4k monitor and that's too much work. hoping someone has an answer )

rolexreviews

Feb 23, 2019
Visit site
To much work? LOL ok then.

The forum helps those that help themselves.

Maybe google can help. Click Here
I don't have a 4k monitor to test so I would have to go out and purchase one which would be way too much work and I already googled it I will check your Google link to see if your search brought up anything better but what I read online was camera dependent which is why I was asking the forums who have the phone itself

EDIT: same results as I searched before. Just people asking if it is loss of quality and the usual response of "depends on camera used, codec and encoder" etc. Not really helpful

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
The click here was just a joke.... hehe

Love that LMGTFY site. All I was saying is on a TV it blows the video up so big that you should notice a difference even if it is only 1080p. Just trying to offer a solution. The problem is that HEVC is new and not a lot of Android folks have experience with it.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't have a 4k monitor to test so I would have to go out and purchase one which would be way too much work and I already googled it I will check your Google link to see if your search brought up anything better but what I read online was camera dependent which is why I was asking the forums who have the phone itself

EDIT: same results as I searched before. Just people asking if it is loss of quality and the usual response of "depends on camera used, codec and encoder" etc. Not really helpful

Erm im sorry if its out of topic. But its like MP3 vs FLAC.

And where do you plan to watch the videos? If the display isnt high resolution then it shouldn't matter.

rolexreviews

Feb 23, 2019
Visit site
Erm im sorry if its out of topic. But its like MP3 vs FLAC.

And where do you plan to watch the videos? If the display isnt high resolution then it shouldn't matter.
It's not about me watching the videos, it's about YouTube.

I review Rolex watches as my username says and I want the highest available resolution/clarity I can get from my phone (I know o should use a real camera for this but until I know for sure it's a good enough hobby I think the phone is fine)

Yes 1080p is fine (and this question would actually be for that resolution too since it also can be recorded in HEVC) but I just want to know if there is a difference/slight difference to know if I should use HEVC or not.

For now it looks like the person who would know for sure hasn't responded yet or might not even be a member of these forums so until I know for sure I guess I'm gonna stick to leaving HEVC off

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I review Rolex watches as my username says and I want the highest available resolution/clarity I can get from my phone (I know o should use a real camera for this but until I know for sure it's a good enough hobby I think the phone is fine)

Yes 1080p is fine (and this question would actually be for that resolution too since it also can be recorded in HEVC) but I just want to know if there is a difference/slight difference to know if I should use HEVC or not.

For now it looks like the person who would know for sure hasn't responded yet or might not even be a member of these forums so until I know for sure I guess I'm gonna stick to leaving HEVC off

HEVC is sort of like compressing the file. Which will affect quality of the video. But if its just for youtube. It wouldn't really matter as not everyone watching youtube uses 4K UHD screen.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Try reading the sammobile one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190326-010808_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190326-010808_Chrome.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 21

rolexreviews

Feb 23, 2019
Visit site
Try reading the sammobile one.

just read up on it and it showed how to do it and that it does take up less space but nothing about quality.

There's 1 comment on there saying that it's the same exact quality but in a more compact space like a zip file. I don't know how accurate that is from the HEVC search I did before making this post

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Maybe shoot 2 videos, one each way and upload it to Youtube. Give us the link in here we can take a look at it here crowd source wise and tell you what we think of the 2 different uploads.

I will view on a 70 inch 4k TV and Sammy tablet.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I wouldn't shoot in HEVC. The reason I say this is I have a GoPro Hero 7 Black and and shooting at 4K at 60fps will record in the HEVC format and it is a pain in the butt to edit those files due to the large file size. There are a handful of video editing programs out there that can handle HEVC format butyou will need a pretty powerful computer to handle it. GoPro recommends using Handbrake to convert the HEVC to another format before using video editing software. The only advantage that I know of that HEVC has is its compression ability. If there is a difference in quality I would think it would be very minimal as it's still 4K; it's not like comparing HD to 4K were there is a very noticable difference.

Reactions: arpcpro

rolexreviews

Feb 23, 2019
Visit site
Honestly, I wouldn't shoot in HEVC. The reason I say this is I have a GoPro Hero 7 Black and and shooting at 4K at 60fps will record in the HEVC format and it is a pain in the butt to edit those files due to the large file size. There are a handful of video editing programs out there that can handle HEVC format butyou will need a pretty powerful computer to handle it. GoPro recommends using Handbrake to convert the HEVC to another format before using video editing software. The only advantage that I know of that HEVC has is its compression ability. If there is a difference in quality I would think it would be very minimal as it's still 4K; it's not like comparing HD to 4K were there is a very noticable difference.
Best answer I could've gotten. Other people telling me to Google search what I already have and telling me to watch it on a TV when I said it was hard for me to do you hit it straight to the point with some insight.

I applaud you sir/madam, thanks for the info I appreciate it

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Best answer I could've gotten. Other people telling me to Google search what I already have and telling me to watch it on a TV when I said it was hard for me to do you hit it straight to the point with some insight.

I applaud you sir/madam, thanks for the info I appreciate it

Not a problem, honestly I wasn't familiar the the HEVC format until I got my GoPro last Fall and there were quite a few discussions regarding the format and obsticles people were experiencing with it. Good luck and have fun.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've only done a cursory reading on this, but maybe it's much ado about nothing? This is a container file, and the actual video info is contained inside that (kind of like how Winzip files are a container and the actual files are inside that). I think that's why do many say it depends on the camera and such. The camera will encode the video and determine the quality, then stuff it into the container file.

It seems that HEVC is not supposed to affect image quality one way or another. Also, why bother if you're uploading to YouTube? Unless your transfer times are just horrifically long, I'd upload it in a regular format. YouTube may pack it into an HEVC file to save server farm space anyway.